Tikitkah_WIP_01.jpg

___________________________________ _ _ _

Tikitkah_Sculpt_05.jpg

_________________________ _ _ _

Tikitkah_Sculpt_04.jpg

____________________ _ _ _

Tikitkah_Sculpt_03.jpg

Greetings Polycounters,

some months ago, I started a concept art of one of the two characters that we ( me and 4 other guys, including Ganon and Slobade ) will have in our school project, a fighting game.

Here it is ( huge pic, sorry ^^ ) :

tikitkah_final_concept_by_julienjulien-d4jevlx.jpg

And now I started the sculpt, trying to block the proportions :

tikitkah_sculpt_01_by_julienjulien-d4uyl5k.jpg

I never did a good female character before, so I really need halp... As she doesn't have a lot of clothes, the body itself has to be really good. But for now she just looks weird ^^.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Not looking too bad, and nicely put together concept. but does it really have to have that dog/animal muzzle? It just reminds me of furries and something I would see on Deviant art. I would consider the design decision for it and why it was chosen.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    This is a cool character and I don't mind the furry-ness at all(I think they've just gotten a bad rep from all the furry dressers and what not). Right now she doesn't resemble a kangaroo as much as she should and I would like to see some exaggeration in the legs as well as some other parts. Large Chun-Li'ish legs, somewhat smaller ears and a larger tail is what I recommend.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys.

I'm not familiar with all the furry-things, I just realized after I did the concept that yes, she looks like a furry ( and you're right Fomori, a lot of furries-lovers like her on DA ^^ ). She was not designed to be a furry, just a hybrid.

I'll try to exagerate some things Saman. For now she looks too human.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update :

Tikitkah_Sculpt_02.jpg

Also, I wonder how I will do the hair. We want to use physic, so I think I have to do it like that :

Hair_Physic_01.jpg

Not important at the moment, I will do this last.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    this is awsome love the character
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd probably tweak the length and position of the thigh and shin and tarsus to make her a bit more distinctly digitigrade. I'm assuming you'll want her to hop around like a real roo.

It might be interesting to add a "pouch" to her costume strapped to her belly, but I guess it might mess with the simple tribal aesthetic you've got going.

I assume you've had a look at the kangaroo people in Tank Girl. I think the very large proportions of the ears on those characters works quite well
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TehSplatt ^^.

Jack : I totally agree with what you said, the problem is that I'm not the only one to decide of the look of the character. Each of the five guys working on this project give his mind. I did a pouch on my first concept, but they didn't like it, so I removed it. Same for the legs, we wanted to keep a more "human" feeling ( in fact we wanted to use the same skeleton and rig for other characters, so they had to be "human", but finally we will do two specific characters only. )

And yeah, I really like Tank Girl, it's one of my refs ^^. I'll take a look to the movie 'cause I gave the comic books to a friend ( and I will never see them again... T_T ).

Anyway, here is an update of the sculpt, with the clothes.

Tikitkah_Sculpt_03.jpg
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Texelion wrote: »
    Thanks guys.
    She was not designed to be a furry, just a hybrid.

Well you sure had me fooled.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Update. I did a quick polypaint.

Tikitkah_Sculpt_04.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could pull off some interesting things with the feet if she is sitting, walking or running around, giving her a somewhat other-worldly attribute.

Currently, it will look that she will either be 'tip-toeing' or have extremely long feet flat, which wouldn't suit the rest of the design.

Also, do you have a blog?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    The latest update looks great. I like the whole color design of her, especially her skin color and how the white paint complements it.
    When I think of a kangaroo I think of an animal which's upper body is rather small compared to it's bottom. The legs are large, strong and muscular as opposed to the arms which are small, thin and don't have the amount of muscles that the legs do. You can apply this to your character by making the legs large and muscular but having the upper body somewhat thinner and not as heavily well-trained. Since it's a female kangaroo this is perfect, you can make her curvy with an hourglass figure without breaking her human forms. I can see that you've already tried to apply this to your character to some extent, her arms are short but that seems to be about it. You should make her arms a little bit thinner, her chest smaller and also make her waist wider with more muscular and wide legs. Other than that I would make the arms longer because it's proportions just look weird right now. Her ears are too large, they resemble a rabbit's more right now and make her tail a bit longer so that it doesn't look like a costume.
    These are just my two cents though, she looks pretty good already.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I could, but I have to stay close to the concept ^^. But I would love to try everything you guys said, and maybe I will do it later for myself ( as this is a school group project ).

I will correct the length of the arms and the tail.

Ace-Angel : yeah I think she will be 'tip-toeing' ( funny word ^^ ).

No I don't have a blog. I update my Deviant Art sometimes ( http://julienjulien.deviantart.com/ ), and I have a student portfolio, which is pretty empty and outdated :

http://julien-friedrich.infographie-heaj.be/

Thanks for the posts, guys.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a new update without the polypaint. Longer arms and tail, wider thighs, less muscular torso and back. And close-ups ! I think that the highpoly is done ( or almost done ). I will start the retopo tomorrow, trying Topogun for the first time, will be cool ^^.

Tikitkah_Sculpt_05.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys ( and girls ), it's me again.

As we want to do facial animation with our character, I had to adapt her mouth for that. i never did this before so I don't really know how to proceed, but after some attempts I made this :

Tikitkah_Sculpt_06.jpg

PS : sorry for the bad shading, need to learn how to use the BPR...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along well, mate.

Her muzzle is quite chunky from the side. I wonder whether you might be able to make it look a little more feminine, as well as a bit closer to a real kangaroo if you gave it a little more of a taper. If you used the grey kangaroo as a reference rather than the red that's usually bigger and bulkier all round. I think it'd be worth softening the brow a little.

Other than that, it looks like you've pretty much nailed your concept. Nice work.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havnt read through all the comments since its way past my bed time, but i think her tail is to small if your going for a kangaroo/human hybrid. The tail is a majoy part of a kangaroos body and controls their balance and weight distribution.

Just a thought. She looks cool anyway
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade : yeah right, I tried to change the muzzle, don't know if it's better now, just tell me ^^.

Darkleopard : you're right, but as she won't be standing like a real kangaroo, the balance is maybe useless. I tried a longer tail, but it looks weird.

Here is a WIP of the texture, in marmoset. Still some things to add/change :

Tikitkah_WIP_01.jpg

EDIT : actual tricount : 12 840 tris ( but I have to duplicate the hair meshes )
    Textures : 1x 2048 diffuse and normal; 1 x 512 diffuse and normal for the alpha parts
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not a fan on how the 'white tat's' seem to be glowing, and the normal map isn't showing too well without a nice specular map.

Try taking the green and red channels from your Normal Map, and adding both inverted and non-inverted channels together to make a 'quick' and dirty specular map, just to see if your normal map is popping alright.

Also, if you could slightly 'rub' off some of the dark paint around her eyes (specifically the ones so close to her pupils) so she is more natural looking, right now it feels like paint might fly off in her eyes at any given moment.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Ace you might want to tone down the tattoos/paint a bit they stand out a bit too much, whether the white bits are tattoos or paint the wouldn't be that bright and if they are actually paint I'd be nice to see a bit more texture in them like actual paint http://www.face-painting-fun.com/images/aboriginal-face.jpg
    Cause right now they just feel like they were painted on in photoshop, while the concept has them faded, and somewhat rough-edged like paint (although I think you could push it further than that)

Any yeah the normal isn't very strong at this point which leaves areas that had sculpted details looking lacking. Not to mention it's hard to tell that there's a back part to her bottom clothing at first because there's not normal/ao to real drive home that there's cloth there. Spec should help that pop more as well.
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along nicely, whites and blacks are little strong. How about some more imperfections in the white tattoo like you have on her calves.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah now you say it, the white is really... white ^^. Il will do a second pass on the texture in photoshop and do all the modifications. I already added an AO to the diffuse, looks much better.

This first pass was done in 3D Coat using only two brushes, I don't like to start in photoshop, I need to see my 3D model when I paint ( and I think it's impossible to paint these kinds of body paint in photoshop ^^ ).

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here she is ! I did some modifications, added a spec map ( but I don't like overpowered specular so it's soft ), feathers... I need to duplicate the hair and test the physic in the engine ( Fresh Engine ). The Puppet will have physic too.

Marmoset_Tikitkah_WIP_02.jpg

And now... setup and animation in Maya... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !

I will do real beauty shots with maps later.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I went deep in the forum to resurrect this old thread of mine ^^. Finally, I finished this character some weeks ago for school ( a friend ( Ganon ) working on the same project did the animations, but we are not really proud of the game demo we made, so we won't show it ^^ ). I wasn't really happy, so I decided to modify her a little bit for myself.

So, I added the dreadlocks and the Puppet again ( we had to remove them because of the physic not working in the engine ), I changed the texture a little bit and I build a quick scene.

Here is the result, rendered in Marmoset Toolbag :

TikitkahBeautyShot.jpg

Specification Sheet with Wireframes and Flats are coming ^^.

Thanks for viewing !
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty sweet Tex :)