[WIP] - Chinese Stairs

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 8
Update
screen14_zps46d74209.jpg
screen12_zps0e5d3d32.jpg

Detail_Pass.jpg

I did a little more work on this but I prolly need a little help gauging how much destrction to add in

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Crits Very welcome
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 9
    That completely depends on the environment. Got some reference to show what you're going for?
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    well this is one of the first assets I'm making I guess I'm kinda going for aged simi destroyed but not too badly....I want more aged than destroyed. Since I posted this I have made some hairline fractures in the steps but I'm at a loss what to do for the outer pieces. I guess just make sure everything is equally destroyed.
  • wolver
    i think you need to think about the materials a little, is the carving done onto stone,wood? is it framed in wood? are animals gold?

imo i would add faded paint to the engravings on the tablets and a couple of big but thin fractures across them + chipping round edge. for the steps id say you are going for an imperial straight edge almost perfect look + chips. but you could also go for a more worn down by use look by smoothing the edges and bowing them in the middle as if worn down and polished by innumerable foot steps.
    might be worth offseting the seam running up the steps by half every odd step, to break up that linear line and make it more dynamic.
    customs-19.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad face I wish I would have read this just an hour earlier. lol I'm dumb, my god thats perfect.
    Stairs_Update01.jpg
    this was worked on prior to reading this.
    thank you so much paintforge!
    I'm really excited to possibally going backward a save or two and take up your suggestion.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Test Rendering
    phoenix_test.jpg
  • njc6425
    Is this created inside zbrush? even if its not can you go through briefly how you created it? pretty please? haha
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    @ njc6425: no problem My process for this has been pretty scattered to be honest.
    I took a look at what I wanted to create and for me hard surface models are really hard to create in Z Brush. Also I am fairly good at sculpting but I am much better at bump maps and photoshop tbh.
    Thats exactly what I did.
    I spent a day or so and I painstakingly made these bmp maps
    start
    Phoenix_BMP.jpg
    fin
    Dragon_BMP.jpg
    btw I made a custom brush for the clouds.
    From there I masked the area inside of Z Brush and used Inflate mulitple times which gave me the Direction I wanted but it was far from perfect. I went in and worked on the medium detail shapes on a lower sub d level
    after that I used Claytubes and the defalt brush and I started chipping away to add a aged look.
    I made some crack alfa's
    Cracks.jpg
    It's still a WIP for sure but I'm feeling fairly good the direction I'm going.
  • njc6425
    You made those bump maps from scratch? far out man, good job looks great. Yeh ive been stuggling lately modelling and texturing in maya, i can do it and everything but i feel more comfortable inside zbrush than maya but im not too sure about hard surface modelling inside of it. might give it a try :)
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    I did have quite a bit of Reff. The pen tool is my friend.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I hate my final presentation for this. I mean it's just Z brush renders. but the saturation feels too high. Aside from the part that I hate the renders I feel pretty good about the model.
    Fin_Grab.jpg
    Fin_Grab_02.jpg
    Fin_Grab_03.jpg
    I know these aren't the best views but the render settings are pretty high and I don't want to get every angle. maybe I'll save that for my next post.
  • SStrickland
    Looks good! IMHO, you are ready for far more ambitious projects though. Is this a small piece of a larger environment?
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! Thanks Steve!
  • eyo
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 6
    you've got a great layer stone feel goin on those steps, keep it up! looking forward to seeing what else you kick out :-)
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 5
    Very nice detail! You could always try rendering in Marmoset Toolbag if you don't like Zbrush renders.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart: I like UDK so I'll post that up sometime soon ^^
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    nothing is set in stone yet I still need to finish/start my texture for the diffuse and spec.
    test-2.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    ChineseRoofRender.jpg here is my next piece I have been pouring all my time into.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    ChineseRoofHighPoly.jpg
    HighPoly Render from Z Brush
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Unreal ScreenShotStairs_5.jpg
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 4
    I love working with height maps :) Seems like an underrated way of getting a good bump map sometimes lol. You did a good job ^^
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 6
    You did well, this is one of those things in a game where I would probably stop and turn around to admire it only to be shot.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheRealFroman I total agree
    @Scruples Thanks man I appreciate that
    Holy crap after going back to this asset I saw how bad it was lol.
    Stair_Maps1024_zpsb1dcfa3a.jpg
    I liked the Way Ddo makes the maps in a presentation for you I thought that was pretty slick so I mimicked it
    screen14_zps46d74209.jpg
    Marmoset Renders
    screen12_zps0e5d3d32.jpg
    All of the maps have been redone from the nrms to the diffuse to the spec at a higher res.