Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Active Subtool Transparency

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
Does anyone know where i can find the slider to set my active subtools transparency? The help says it's under preferences->Draw but it isn't in Zbrush R3

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Tools: Display Properties: BPR Visibility
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thats for rendering, in need it to be transparent so i can put a reference plane behind it and match my sculpt to it
  • Tokusei
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    I tried something like this when doing anatomy sculpts and couldn't find a way to make the active tool transparent except for using the imageplane plugin which has a slider for the mesh opacity, tell me if you find out otherwise ;0
  • Inhert
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Ravenslayer it should be in the Preferences>Draw menu. I am using Zbrush 4R2 though, the menus should not be any different. I think the sliders that you should be looking for under the Draw submenu is the TransDepth, Front Opacity, and Back Opacity sliders. Try playing around with those sliders to see if it works.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx for the replies guys

inhert: that's for the inactive subtools transparency

tokusei: i've installed imageplane and that does do the trick! tnx
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Specify : P

Imageplane or Spotlight for references (the latter would make the reference transparent instead of the model)
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i needed to get the mesh i'm working on transparent so i could see the reference beneath it. tnx for taking the time to help out btw ^^
  • hansolocambo
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    It's indeed in the Draw Menu. Set Floor Fill Mode to 3 (next to the Floor XYZ icon in the Draw Menu) . Then using the (now active because of fill mode 3) Edge Enhance Factor slider, you can change the gradient shading of your subtools inner-out. And they'll become partially of fully transparent (only a thin edge visible).

N.B : this works only if you loaded reference image(s) in the Draw menu. You can then see you reference through the mesh that remains 
    opaque against the viewport background. If you don't want a reference image, just work on a black background and load front-back and left-right views in draw menu with a black image. The more opaque is your reference (Edge Enhance Opacity) the more transparent your Subtools can be (Edge Enhance Factor).

P.S : But if your need is to see other subtools through the currently selected subtool... sadly I don't think there is a way.
  • Gorilla3000
    Hansolocambo, thanks for that answer. 
  • odiezgz
    leslievdb said:
    yeah i needed to get the mesh i'm working on transparent so i could see the reference beneath it. tnx for taking the time to help out btw ^^

Hi guys!
    Have any of you managed to activate the transparency of the active subtool?