Home General Discussion

Maya 2013 has been Announced! ( as well )

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
claydough polycounter lvl 10
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/announcing_maya_2013

Unless the announcement thread is already deeply buried. Max 2013 is not the only new announcement?

I really liked the mel and node feedback they previewed last week. Like timerX on steroids. Should really be helpful in finding performance roadblocks in scenes.
( however I do not see it in the announcements )

More interoperability like HIK between motionbuilder is an awesome direction.
Would be nice to see more direct connections with other applications ( photoshop? )

But I was really hoping that I would see more ( like skyline runtime fun! ) :(

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    think they realized when it comes to modeling tools max is already kicking maya ass, so rather work on improving what maya does well.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, that's really a boring update. Nothing i'm exited about :( I really think they should take aim at Modo, or at least Max, with Mayas modelling tools and make them better.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    It isn't too surprising if you read the press release for the "Entertainment Creation Suite" and it's descriptions of each package.
    The company has extended its suites with the new Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate edition. This suite contains both Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 and Autodesk Maya 2013 animation software, together with Autodesk Softimage 2013 3D animation and visual effects software, Autodesk Mudbox 2013 3D sculpting and painting software and Autodesk MotionBuilder 2013 real-time virtual production and motion capture editing software.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Just curious, since I'm not a Maya user, but the rigging/animation stuff in this release sounds great. Especially HumanIK which looks like the Maya version of Biped. But how do you rig creatures with it? Do they have a CAT-like thing similar to HumanIK?
  • Talbot
    I was sort of hoping for some new modeling tools. Haha they only have two modeling updates listed. :/
  • MadnessImport
    Many People were hoping for new Modeling tools, Many people hope for Many things to be Put in Maya. I was hoping for maybe a slightly better Bend Deformer.. Hope

At least we still have CreativeCrash.
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm glad they didn't just dump HumanIK in Maya and run, I'm glad they are improving and fixing some of the annoying things. Even with those things in 2012 I still really liked it.

I think the new hair and physics things will be fun to play with, MayaBullet is going to be cool if its anything like rayfire for max but I'm not sure how useful they will be for game development, but you never know, people come up with some crazy inventive ways to use things.

Free image planes could be useful.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    ( Maya DG and mel Profiler )
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upa_if21QCM"]Maya DG and MEL ProfilerTechnology Preview - YouTube[/ame]

From DAG profiler results showing-
    from a skinned and smoothed sphere mesh with animation:
    98% of the compute time comes from establishing the polySmoothFace history?
    ( even if I was not ready to freeze that history yet... it's nice Maya's smooth previews do not have that same compute hit penalty! )

Seeing bottlenecks this easily at a glance, I imagine that I would be taking advantage of caching alot more often. And perhaps optimize scene?

The MEL profiler looks like echo on steroids! I evangelize using the internal Maya scripts directory as the lost half of Maya's Documentation. Mel profiler's tracking of script directories gives that strategy a table of contents! ( this would save me a lot of time using "find in files" )
    Hopefully those scripts can be opened up into my text editor of choice by double clicking/right clicking?
    In the example, it makes sense that it is MEL being profiled since the only actions are from internal Maya scripts ( as long as Maya is built on top of a bunch of mel scripts such a profiler should be pretty powerful )
    However is there no python functionality available from the profiler yet?

These kind of updates give me a lot more power than yet another bunch of new "edge loop tools" that could have probably been better implemented with the added love from someone in the community anyway.

Would love to see a dual boot version option of Maya built upon python scripts intead of mel scripts! I imagine that in addition to faster execution times and startup times having development consolidated under one strategy could save a lot of development time as well. Without losing maya's open architecture that was easily dissected ( all the power still open... but in python )
    I assume this will happen sooner or later? ( hopefully both options might exist for 2 or 3 versions till everything is moved over? )
    That would be an awesome empowering advancement exposing true power under the hood.
    Better integration with DirectX, advanced realtime shader? More Post effect shader Support? GeForce Radeon Support representing the game industries end user experience? DirectX active stereo support where natively supporting a 3d game was not guesswork till in engine. Touting thier applications as game industry solutions without serious support for gaming hardware should always be heavily rejected.
    GPU baking with geforce leveraging multiple gpu sounds nice considering how long iterating can sometimes take ( beast's interactive global illumination previews sure does look like the bees knees tho )
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad they didn't just dump HumanIK in Maya and run, I'm glad they are improving and fixing some of the annoying things. Even with those things in 2012 I still really liked it.

I think the new hair and physics things will be fun to play with, MayaBullet is going to be cool if its anything like rayfire for max but I'm not sure how useful they will be for game development, but you never know, people come up with some crazy inventive ways to use things.

Free image planes could be useful.

watching HIK in unreal/Maya with skyline really looks powerful. Imagining a future where unrealscript is dropped leveraging python solutions universal to say...
    a custom hik retargetting solution that is also utilized at runtime for a climbing strategy in unreal?? I could easily live without yet more edgeloop modeling tools that could easily have just as well been built with added love from the community for revolutionary power under the hood that should have been implemented 10 years ago with "art to engine".

( Fingers crossed )

With every new HIK advancement...
    Kaydara is looking to be Autodesk's best aquisition yet ( albeit, thru Alias ).
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Wow, that's really a boring update. Nothing i'm exited about :( I really think they should take aim at Modo, or at least Max, with Mayas modelling tools and make them better.

Considering they are listing all the Subscription Advantage features that were rolled into version 2012 as new to 2013...
    Then yeppers, so far this release seems to be very light!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about the node-based tools. That was what looked like the most impactful update to me when they demoed it for us. Looked like it'd make building materials and the like a much smoother process.
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    aw... 2 modeling updates..
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about the node-based tools. That was what looked like the most impactful update to me when they demoed it for us. Looked like it'd make building materials and the like a much smoother process.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbTgr95Z8nk&hd=1&t=2m49s"]Autodesk Maya 2013: Workflow improvements - YouTube[/ame]

the responsiveness should make a lot of people who loathe hypershade performance happy.( But when so much material work is iterated outside of Maya anyway? when days of tight engine intergration are probably around the corner :( ? )

Been some talk about new mental Ray support of ptex allowing more fun in Maya although in a rough way??

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7282238#post7282238

I wonder if new the ptex painting features in Mudbox 2013 would make Rough support in Maya alluded to by Cory... more managable?

If so, I wonder if simply poly painting in zBrush could be imported into Maya over a ptex meshscape? ( using the resolution of polypaint like a ptex proxy? )
    Originally Posted by oglu
    mib_ptex_lookup1 grin.gif

Great! thanks Oglu, I see Cory Mogk has commented on his blog the implementation is a bit rougher than the Maya team would have liked.
  • Kuledo
    Useless for a modeler.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    "More consistent hotkeys" YES! /fistpump :/

Have been asking modeling updates since 2010, kinda sucks XD
  • Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Still no symmetry for the modelling tools this is a fu/&%$ serious letdown, also considering people really wanted Maya 2013 to be THE "modelling" update -_- gee even Blender can do that...
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    So..i hear 3ds max has some sweet updates..time to move on
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Jungsik wrote: »
    So..i hear 3ds max has some sweet updates..time to move on

and you'll hear the same thing about maya in 3ds max thread.
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Kraftwerk : maybe i'll sound stupid, but have you downloaded the maya bonus tools?
    I wouldn't even use maya without them loaded, and they have some nice symmetry modelling scripts.

http://area.autodesk.com/downloads

Or just work with an instanced copy in the negatif axis.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    And mirrored instancing works as well as it always has. You have to remember to flip the normals once you're done, but that's hardly something that's worth getting up in arms about.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Well I always thought it would be cool to get some similar tools to Max implemented, e.g. Dot Loop/Dot Ring and even something like NEX or Diamant Tools for retopology as part of the Maya standard package would be a good start.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    A maya reflection solution ( and suite of symmetry tools )
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/modeling/poly-tools/c/cly_pivotreflectionmodeling-mel--2/comments#tabs
    cly_autoMirrorScriptJob.jpg?1269067183
    since Maya once again breaks my quick gui ( now because of Maya's new shelf button menu system ) where the overloaded shelfButtons no longer stick.

Otherwise, if u just look in the scripts for all the arguments to the commands...
    ( also the first install will work if u just wanted to preview all the symmetry functionality till I post yet another fix )

Otherwise if anyone is interested I will be posting the fix over the weekend.
    3284079475_86a4c44ac6.jpg

Wrote the following symmetry/reflection tools to update as transparently as possible. Because I was tired of constantly setting up symmetry, cleaning my origin.

I use to just use an instancing solution... But re-orienting the object space, in addition to rotating, ( both a simple option checkbox in the preference ) and parented transforms can lead to breaking of and a lot of setup to then re-establish. Not to mention annoying origin seams and constantly fiddling with normals.

After 7 years of refining where reflection tool axis settings automatically align to the mirroring axis preference in both directions ( maya transform tool setting's reflection axis align with cly_mirror preference changes and vis-versa ) And after 7 years of using the auto mirroring option... I have not been able to break it yet. ( after every mesh tool completion and action all edits are reflected instead of just the transform tools... It just always works for me. ) ( wish I could say the same for the usersetup code for the gui with every new maya version )
    But all the things that happen under the hood when a model is symmetrized to give the illusion of simple reflection is a huge mountain of tweaks. The changing vertex order can frag edge smoothing assignments. The difference between the first time that happens compared to subsequent mirrors... How each tool and action loses predictable re-establishment. Interactive tool edits on a given selection where vertex order across symmetry frags the selection after mirroring... that established selection has to be rebuilt as if in the same location to maintain interactivity.

All transparent to the end user equals a lot of saved button clicks at the end of the day.
    If you are suffering with no symmetry solution, I would happily reccomend giving it a try:
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/modeling/poly-tools/c/cly_pivotreflectionmodeling-mel--2
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    claydough wrote: »
    A maya reflection solution ( and suite of symmetry tools )
    Otherwise if anyone is interested I will be posting the fix over the weekend.
    Totally interested in this, the bonus tools symmetry is terrible.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    True it can be a pain sometimes as you mentioned, although I still find instancing pretty fast way of working with a mirrored mesh, just delete half your geo, flip it over with instance and off ya go :)
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    Autodesk Demand More upgrade Promo is almost over

Upgrade yer Autodesk to a suite before april 2013 get 20% off..
    http://simulistic.com/events/autodesk-demand-more-promo/
    AUTODESK PROMO – Now through April 13th
    Autodesk asked us to notify you about a new promotion running through April 13th, the “Demand More Promo” . If you have Maya or 3ds Max, you can now upgrade to an Entertainment Suite Standard, or Premium for a discount of 20%!
    For you commercial customers, that’s $1196, instead of $1495, even less for you Government customers!
    These suites add Mudbox, and Motionbuilder (for the Standard Suite), Softimage is added to this for the Premium Suite.
    Imagine the simplified workflows, texturing, sculpting, capturing motion with an Xbox Kinect!! Better productivity, simplified licensing, what more could you ask for?
    Please let us know if you have any interest in this promo, thanks!
  • claydough
  • mayaman
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman polycounter lvl 10
    .. it looks like this software is slowly dying... so sad.

the Maya core is becoming too old compared to the technology we see in newer softwares like Modo. The thing is that autodesk guy should stop releasing useless releases (they're almost all bug fixes and some spare new features here and there) and try to think about rewriting something from scrath.

Of course, we all know that rewriting that code isn't simple as it seems and would be a pain in the ass also for a huge company as Autodesk, but that would be something cool, really.

WTF there's still no INSET TOOL! C'mon!

Please autodesk, take your time and try to make something useful.
  • ikken
    idk if they're really interested in developing new software at all. you'd imagine that since maya purchase back in 2005, autodesk would roll out a stand-alone tool like Autodesk Modeller, or call it anything better, but no, they aren't really keen on that.
    both maya and mudbox blow so much this year
    rip dudes, days of your actual development are missed by many †
  • gaganjain
    Maya and mudbox is more stable now...
    There have lot changes in core system that you see in future version
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman wrote: »
    WTF there's still no INSET TOOL! C'mon!

In Maya,
    Inset is the Extrude tool's offset feature.

Beside the speedier pinch sculpting...
    Inset functionality improvements via offset slider enhancement was the only other Modeling feature added.

( every slider/virtual slider in Maya should respect the ctrl modifier sensitivity. The offset slider is now virtual so there is no min or max. And now respects channel box precision. I always got predictable offset from the slider so I always assumed it already was aligned. But ctrl dragging is very welcome )
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not see any other Autodesk Docs advertised in advance of the 2013 release schedule beside Maya...
    However,
    Hacking the existing addresses ( substituting the last 2 with a 3 in 2012 ) worked fine.

presto chango:
    http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/mudbox2013/en_us/index.html

GUID-44F16ACD-2331-4533-9BF8-7363C250F50B-low.png

Beside the new interface there are some additions to ptex documentation:
    http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/mudbox2013/en_us/index.html?url=files/Prepare_model_for_PTEX.htm,topicNumber=d30e25476
    GUID-9A747C28-E513-40BA-BA7F-FA65623AB1BE-low.png

Though I did not see any pipeline explained for the new mental ray p-tex functionality in Maya 2013.
    http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/announcing_maya_2013/comments?pg=6&
    Posted by mogkc on 2012-03-28 at 2:45 AM re: Ptex in mental ray

This is supported in 3.10 so you can use it in Maya. I'll be upfront with you and say the workflow is a bit rougher than we would like.

To rough to advertise?
    Been checking the alpha development of Stripes ( a free download ) but no support past Maya 2011 yet:
    http://www.mankua.com/Stripes/Stripes.php
  • mayaman
    Offline / Send Message
    well, should try it... the offset in maya 2012 sucked a lot:P
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    well, should try it... the offset in maya 2012 sucked a lot:P

Sucked alot, it is the one that actually worked?

In each Maya before that you could access the offset attribute in the channel box but it would work wrong where the inset would be of different values at certain points in the topology.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Come on, saying the software is slowly dying is a 'slight' exaggeration :D Sure Max seems to have a way better modeling toolset but Maya still has a few tricks up its sleeve. I still think the modeling could do with a good revamp though :/
  • mayaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, obviously we can't say that the offset we had before maya 2012 was a "working feature".
    They improved the offset a lot in Maya 2012, but that slider was something like a hell to handle...
    If you wanted a little bit more control you had to open the attribute editor and type the value manually, and when you need to do this same operation several times this means some headaches... it's a very very slow workflow..

Hopefully it seems they have fixed this in the new release by making it virtual and maybe more controllable. I'm looking forward to try it to see how it works.

Anyways, Maya has always been my fav 3d package, I started with Maya and grew with it. And I don't think I'll switch to something else at the moment.

I'm just sad about seeing so little improvements every year.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    If you wanted a little bit more control you had to open the attribute editor and type the value manually, and when you need to do this same operation several times this means some headaches... it's a very very slow workflow..

I mean thats how almost all of the tools in maya work though. Not that it is ideal functionality, because I think that alot of other tools could use those interactive sliders, even "broken" like they were in 2012.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    ikken wrote: »
    both maya and mudbox blow so much this year

Mudbox got a few nice features like Drag/Drop UI customization and 3DMouse support. It's also good to see it finally having the ability to duplicate meshs in-editor.

But honestly mudbox feels like its being worked on by a skeleton crew based on its progress compared to other apps like ZBrush or Modo. My guess is that AD pulled most of their staff to work on the Max Excalibur project a few years ago and so all the other apps are getting second hand treatment. This is easy to see by just looking at the fact that Max is the only app they've even bothered to setup User Voice for.

Neil Blevins wish list shows most of the things that Mudbox should have:
    http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/cg_wishlist/cg_wishlist_mudbox.htm

I'd be happy if they just got decent PSD support (import/export folders and masks). But there object/layers list doesn't support folders at all yet.
  • ikken
    Mudbox got a few nice features like Drag/Drop UI customization

tumblr_lzlm6xX4Dr1ql141xo1_250.gif

and modelling toolset from 2010, which fades in comparison with rapidly developing zbr.

what is 3Dmouse? I use 2D intuos.

I don't want to guess and assume, but autodesk has a shit ton of cash from autocad licensing.
    maybe it doesn't sound that stupid to actually hire new people if their current r&d are too buzy optimizing 3dsmax start-up times.
    gaganjain wrote: »
    Maya and mudbox is more stable now...
    There have lot changes in core system that you see in future version

ummmm hopefully?
    iirc maya stability issues went batshit around 2008-2009 releases.
    I had to use 7,0 for some time, and it was pretty stable,
    2011 was nice, I haven't bothered with 2012 yet, and won't be with 2013 so far.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Well Mudbox doesn't really have any modeling tools, no dynamesh/zpheres/grouploops/etc. equivalents at all. I read once that AD didn't want to add anything that would potentially take away from their users need to rely on traditional modeling apps like Max/Maya.

A 3D Mouse is one of these: http://www.3dconnexion.com/
    Some people really like using them over a standard mouse.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I read once that AD didn't want to add anything that would potentially take away from their users need to rely on traditional modeling apps like Max/Maya.
    thats not true... take a look at autodesk meshmixer... :poly121: