Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo 4 Battle Rifle (WIP)

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I put some more time in, I got a quick and dirty test bake with some shitty auto-unwrapped UVs, lots of ray misses and interpenetration to sort out, later.

Obviously, nowhere near the final bake. :poly122:
    DK2hi.jpg
    WqbKA.png

I got my boy Xoliul shadin' da pixels, with qualified normals in max 2012.

It's missing certain assymetrical elements, and for whatever reason some of the elements shade darker than the rest. This will most likely all be fixed after I get a proper set of UVs on this puppy. :)

This will all be sorted out later this week, I got more finals. :(

PS: MassFX is pretty nifty:

ibbb8QWWNCQkKS.gif

:):thumbup:
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Mmm, nice beak result! :) I see some little error, you must fixing in Photoshop. What the hell in grip? :D
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Can't crit the bakes, the presentation is too messy. I suggest that you let the model and normal maps speak for themselves. Look at other people's presentation work.

Oh and that 8MB gif??

One MB per BR. :)
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really digging the progress, keep it up!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like it's holding up really well, would be cool to see a fps view and a shot with just the normal map and a high spec material, when it's done of course :)

Of to shoot some aliens!!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, pretty gun :) Keep goin'!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SniperStealth, Stromberg90, Jessica Dinh:

Thanks people! :) :thumbup:

Anyway, Got my finals over with.

Not sure what to think about Max 2013 yet, but i'm not really happy with it so far. The Nitrous IBL (and shader support) was not what I had hoped for, and there are hardly any modeling additions. Not much else in there for game modelers, maybe viewport canvas, but what good is that if I don't have good viewport shaders with instant feedback. :\

New Nitrous 2013 Viewport Render:
    JXgzr.jpg

I wonder what Luxology has been up to for the past decade? *checks out modo again*

So tempted to pull the trigger (lol) on modo.

I should have some time to get back to work on the low poly model this weekend though (haven't touched it since the last update)...
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very awesome! You did a great job with the screws and gun modules making the gun feel as if it can be disassembled and reassembled like any other gun. How many guns have you created before this one?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zero, but I have done a bit of hard surface practice with various other pieces. When I get my portfolio up I'll post others.

Thanks for the comment. :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time to make the low poly better, try out some more test bakes, and test import into UDK. Still gotta finish UVin'g a good chunk of it, so some of it is auto-unwrapped. the stock and scope area for example.

Even with supporting geo and explicit normals from 3-point shader, the curvy shapes like the handle shade incorrectly. I don't thank splitting the UVs will help either.

UDK's tangent-basis/compression situatiom makes me angry. :poly122:
    iGbMBWzivEP57.gif
    itvdAdkS9sXEt.png
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    nice dude :) great stuff.. really dig some of those process and test animated gifs
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im re-reading the Normals Sticky threads and doing More test bakes.

lower res, some temp UVs, and missing assyetrical elements:
    WFvWK.png

PES8I.png

YNp21.png

Still getting the hang of low-poly modeling for Normal Baking, and finding the best way to lay out hard surface UVs. Not in a big hurry though. :)

Imported into Crysis 2:
    i1mHkmGPLhAY.jpg

I think I am going to want to put this into a Crysis 2 mod, so I'm going to need to add supporting geo on my low and rebake some more since their TBs don't sync to anything.

I was looking at their guns, and I noticed even they have big seams running down the symmetry line.
    Any way to avoid this?

I got smoothing groups smoothing across the seams, and offset UV coordinates for when I bake.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    great job dude holy balls
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jmiles and dudealan2001: Thanks!

I put some more time in and got all my seams in the right spots:
    PEFSa.png

hBy6W.png

C5ylD.png

(Green lines are the seams)

fPpGA.png

ibip03zmYhoLE9.jpg

These type of hard surface assets end up having a ton of UV Islands and are a pain in the ass to unwrap.
    The concept artist put a lot of concave 90 degree features in the gun which only exacerbates the problem. I still gotta go back and fix the ray misses and re-pack the UVs to make them more efficient.

I've probably spent a good workweek on it at this point. Gotta get faster.

If I could recommend one thing, GET TEXTOOLS. :) :thumbup:
    Bind "Iron UV shell" and go to town on your model. BIG TIMESAVER.

3point guys, how long would you spend on one gun? On the texture?

Battle Rifle's looking sweet! :poly121:
  • Steven Buono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    computron,

hey your Halo 4 Battle Rifle looks great. I am not much of a modeler in means I do not do it all the time but one good practice is to avoid more than 4 sides. Or more than 4 points/vertices/edges. Also to avoid having anything less then 4. I know that is a pretty well known thing when it comes to modeling, but even one can make a difference. this is all based on Quad modeling.

i feel the texture is alittle bland it needs something some normals/bump/some type of texture. right now the gun is just 1 texture with little to it. this could even help hide some imperfections. not to your edges that you want to sharpen you could do many things add edge loops closer to each. or bump the harden edges attributes much higher.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Texture it already! :D
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    OMFG just texture this awesome thing!

I'm no 3point guy, but I make sci fi guns for robits... and I usually spend about a week for a third person model. I also get a third the tris your using though, hehe.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehehe, thanks guys. :):thumbup:

I just want to get every step perfect since this is a portfolio piece. Still experimenting, you know. It's my first gun after-all.
    I usually spend about a week for a third person model. I also get a third the tris your using though, hehe.

What about on a first person gun?

@Steven Buono:

Thanks for the feedback, I see you've joined a while ago but only started posting, welcome to Polycount.
    For the High-poly, n-gons (greater than 4 sided polygons) are a situation tool that one can use if you plan for them, as passerby clarified earlier in this thread.
    In the low poly, you should try and spend you poly budget on your silhouette rather than sticking to quads.
    Also, the gun has no texture yet, just an Ambient Occlusion and Normals map.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, for sure! I gotcha ;-)

I personally haven't done a first person model professionally, but I'd imagine I'd take another couple to few days for a first personal model tweaking my workflow from a third person mesh to a first person mesh. Probably no longer than two work weeks though for sure. If working from a strong concept.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That includes the texture I assume? That's cool. Weapon modeler would be an interesting job. A lot of pressure, though, people iron sighting your seams and all :poly142:

What do people do for LODs on these type of models anyway? Just remove polygons entirely? Wouldn't that effect the shading, especially on things that aren't straight forward like cylinders?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Still looks good :)
    Still a few bugs but I guess it will take care of itself when you work more with the baking, don't be afraid to go back to your highpoly and changing things up, to give you a better bake.
    Here is a few places that could use some softer edges I think.
    qZB19.jpg
    About the texture seams, the normal should work well enough without noticing them to much, be more careful with the diffuse texture when painting at the seams, so you don't end up with that fancy butterfly effect.(Green line is the seam)
    Bv9LZ.jpg
    About lods I have no clue, I would think optimize as much as you can, removing some smaller bevels and details on the lod mesh and reuving the parts that get fucked up.

Hope we get to see some textures from you soon :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got back to this model and put a little time into texturing it today, got the base layers in place.

I am a real noob at texturing, but it is already baked out (Final!) and looks pretty neat without textures.

This is what I got so far, with a shader doing most of the work through my Diffuse, Spec, Gloss, Normal and Glow maps.
    ibgf6qcXSMFWF1.png

ijsZi4KvXkEtj.png

irKQScdHx3t0u.png

io06Z9TG2q3Bh.png

iMUGCPQw9fXuK.png

iNme6ROuBz2So.png

Shaded with Xoliul 2

If anyone has any suggestion for where I should take this BR, I would really like to hear it. I've been messing around with photosource texturing and it all comes out looking super amatuer, I'll post more soon.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    not sure if its been mentioned before and sorry to chime in if it has, but the dispersion of triangles seems rather odd. while its nice that youve got your rounded shapes filled out up front, you've gone a bit heavy with them in areas they are not needed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13680846/tris.jpg

aside from that its lookin very nice. wouldve gone a tad bit harder on the edges under/around the sight but what youve got still works. :D
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly modeling is not one of my strong points yet. I also got so many UV islands for this model to shade correctly, its getting in the way of texturing with all the seams. I'm hoping mudbox will be usefull in that regard. Thanks for the input.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Awesome work so far, mate. Really love the summary you made for the first post too. As far as the texture goes, the colors look good. Just beef up the spec with some metal overlays and scratches and this thing will pop. You can get the glowey bits on there too.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    You want to avoid putting symmetry right in the players face. So for your scope, you had your symmetry line running right down the middle of it. It is best to hide your symmetry line on a detail that is in your high poly. So as you model your high, you can make details that can contain the low polys symmetry line and thus will hide the seam.

It is nice that you are spending the time to get the normals look correct, but don't lose speed, keep going. Get that texture on there!

Good luck.
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    That's a nice looking bake. Transferred details quite well.

The symmetry above the ammo counter is a bit bad looking, I would probably get rid of that little dip in the middle.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Inspirational :P it makes me want to make one but i dont think i can make one even close to yours lol i may model the h2 or h3 style br though
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    You want to avoid putting symmetry right in the players face. So for your scope, you had your symmetry line running right down the middle of it. It is best to hide your symmetry line on a detail that is in your high poly. So as you model your high, you can make details that can contain the low polys symmetry line and thus will hide the seam.

It is nice that you are spending the time to get the normals look correct, but don't lose speed, keep going. Get that texture on there!

Good luck.

I didn't know just how much I needed to avoid the problem but I did actually make a lot of the bits in the FPV asymmetrical like the screen, the bolt assembly and the lenses. I definitely learned a lot about low poly modeling in the process.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    Inspirational :P it makes me want to make one but i dont think i can make one even close to yours lol i may model the h2 or h3 style br though

Do it man! :thumbup:

This is my first Hard Surface Asset I am taking all the way, I'm not some pro at this by a long shot.
    Read all the crits and best practices on the wiki's and threads and get started! :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been messing around with photosource texturing and it all comes out looking super amatuer

Just be really subtle...the gun looks damned good already..just slight scratches on corners and whatnot, and maybe just the slightest amount of dirt, dust. A very subtle diffuse with a nice spec will do wonders for you.

Looking great man, makes me want to make a pimp gun :)
  • Bungie91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when are you going to make your low poly ? and are you going to put it in Udk or a game engine?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I've been looking at a lot of polycounter's texture sheets and watching and rewatching tutorials.
    I'm picking up on the subtle nature of the diffuse maps and highly contrasted spec for metals.
    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what kind of photosource should go only in the spec or only in the Gloss.
    Particularly the gloss being tricky, it doesn't seem to scale linearly in intensity and requires a lot of finesse and tweaking.
    (I guess that's why its called specular exponent)
    Bungie91 wrote: »
    when are you going to make your low poly ? and are you going to put it in Udk or a game engine?

That is the low poly, maybe you missed this post?

If anyone's got some suggested way to display the model in 3d online, like some WebGL app of Unity flash, I can upload it if you guys want. When I am finished with the model, I can SDK it as well.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Do it man! :thumbup:

This is my first Hard Surface Asset I am taking all the way, I'm not some pro at this by a long shot.
    Read all the crits and best practices on the wiki's and threads and get started! :)
    Yeah man i think i will! i mean i usually like hard surface stuff anyway and ive always wanted to model the BR so ya know what I WILL! :) lol thanks man! im gonna use your threads c&c's to my advantage i love this br though man congrats!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    sexy bake! i'm jealous. What texture resolution are you at? I'm currently struggling a bit with baking normals with hard surface stuff. Glad you were able to figure things out, looks amazing. I'll have to re-read the polycount wiki, although I'm using Modo for baking and seems like a lot of the wiki is 3Ds Max related and using custom 3point or Xoliul shaders and stuff. I'm wondering if all the same concepts apply, such as separating UV islands that have hard edges on the low poly etc. Anyway Great job so far!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    coots7 wrote: »
    sexy bake! i'm jealous. What texture resolution are you at? I'm currently struggling a bit with baking normals with hard surface stuff. Glad you were able to figure things out, looks amazing. I'll have to re-read the polycount wiki, although I'm using Modo for baking and seems like a lot of the wiki is 3Ds Max related and using custom 3point or Xoliul shaders and stuff. I'm wondering if all the same concepts apply, such as separating UV islands that have hard edges on the low poly etc. Anyway Great job so far!

Yes all the same rules apply with hard edges and uv islands and smoothing groups.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't bake in modo, it doesn't have an averaged cage AFAIK. Maybe 601, But I didn't hear of any changes.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Thats great for first gun project,looking real good.Did you enable qualified normals for this and is there only single sg?

Yeah don't bake in modo.Even in the 601 version there's no averaged cage.Ray distance method yields worst results.Use modo only for model and uv stuff.Try xnormal or simply bake in 3dsmax/maya.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have qualified normals enabled, but I have modeled and UVed it such that it will smooth correctly in most unsynced engines.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model is epic and all that but it's Bungie property right, I mean it's the Halo battle rifle. What is it then, just a portfolio piece? I mean it can't go into any game unless YOU work for the company
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a piece of art bro, doesnt matter if 343i or Microsoft own the rights to it, it's fan art, he's not claiming the design is his or anything, he's just making an awesome gun
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh didn't you hear? I am launching a Halo Competitor on the the PS3 in Q3 2012.
    It will have "skirmish rifles", "designated shooter rifles", and even "plasma projectile launchers".

Not sure what to call it yet, something with rings...
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds awesome man cant wait to play it!!!!! :) if you need any art help let me know ;)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    n88tr wrote: »
    Model is epic and all that but it's Bungie property right, I mean it's the Halo battle rifle. What is it then, just a portfolio piece? I mean it can't go into any game unless YOU work for the company

Dude are you serious? Have you never seen anyone do other games art (fan art) on this forum in the past?

FFS
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I just thought this was trademarked
    you know it's pretty iconic
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    Yeah I just thought this was trademarked
    you know it's pretty iconic

wonder if Borderlands trademarked their weapons?

http://cahemdue.net/images/3d_BorderlandsShotgun2Coll.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh so it's like an homage kind of thing?
    I get ya
    I was thinking too literally sorry
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    @n88tr . are you trolling lol
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message