Home Technical Talk

Environment Artist, your help needed

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
we wanted to make a simple game project, and I was responsible for the environmental and assets making... I am just a modeller, but not a environment artist... These were some of the shot I ended up with , with some downloaded models... I know that was a disaster.
?view=att&th=130e5871dbbc8d90&attid=0.3&disp=inline&realattid=f_gpl2rkbr2&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-pCfMMCHBUITDECxS6hmtL&sadet=1332485212053&sads=L-jgcZ7CTsUcv2Xxh_WkuyqE6WY&sadssc=1
?view=att&th=130e5871dbbc8d90&attid=0.7&disp=inline&realattid=f_gpl2rkc06&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-pCfMMCHBUITDECxS6hmtL&sadet=1332485212067&sads=TS-GexmitD5nvo4lF9tqvHTzIsQ&sadssc=1
?view=att&th=130e5871dbbc8d90&attid=0.9&disp=inline&realattid=f_gpl2rkc68&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-pCfMMCHBUITDECxS6hmtL&sadet=1332485218606&sads=c2nHmIPhDz8OBp7OV9puidv8Dew

Can anyone refer me some more links to a good tutorials on
-environment design
-blending between the assets and the terrain better.
-anything that would make a map look better.

thank you... will be waiting for you responses :)

Replies

• cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *for some reason, the images dnt load up.. nvrmind thats not imp. anyways
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko wrote: »
    *for some reason, the images dnt load up.. nvrmind thats not imp. anyways

Pretty important to see images to help you out if ya ask me :p.

Try uploading your images to an image site, like photobucket or flickr, then post a link to that.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D srry abt that, okay here are some of the maps, mountains,ruins and some deserts.. Basicaly we want to make a hack and slash game. here you go..area1.jpg
    area3.jpg
    area9.jpg
    area9.jpg
    deepJungle2.jpg
    templeArea.jpg
    townArea2.jpg
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    So they are really Nice.. Keep on going...
  • pthomas1172
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    its a good start.

- You MUST have reference if your going to do it right. Dig up images of other games and just copy portions you like, Also look at FLICKR for terrain photos.

- study in those pictures how terrain has things that go from BIG to tiny. Big Cliff to med boulders to small rocks to tiny grass to flat dirt.

- Your only going to get a few textures so make them count. redo what you have until it looks right. you'll redo it 10-30+ times based on schedule.

- Tilling textures are a bitch!.. start with a noise texture, get it to tile over the whole map. then make the black a greenish dirt and the white the vegetation. if you want to get advanced... use the noise as a MASK. and then make smaller TILING noises, one as dirt and the other grass.

- look into making cliffs ,boulders and rocks separate models. one of your terrain textures should be a transition texture between the rock model and grass/green texture. also use it to blend with the road / path.

- Buy a program called WORLD MACHINE, it will help a lot. you'll see when you open it.

- play around with VUE if you have time, it has some helpful features.
  • bk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bk3d polycounter lvl 5
    not sure what engine you are using.
    But one thing you might want to try is to divide the different areas into its own district instead of one giant land mass. This way you can customize each district to be somewhat unique. Then you can connect areas with maybe a wood bridge... rock bridge.. etc. instead of it all being dirt paths. Might be easier to manage too. More detail on the ground like grass tufts and stones along the paths. Also i would put the temple area at the highest elevation, this could also be used as a landmark. Land marks are good to have so players kinda know where they are in the world.

Hope this helps
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you everyone,
    @bk3d: yes this time, I am spiting 1 map into several small maps.. my system will also feel better..
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the long article, that would surely help
    - Tilling textures are a bitch!.. start with a noise texture, get it to tile over the whole map. then make the black a greenish dirt and the white the vegetation. if you want to get advanced... use the noise as a MASK. and then make smaller TILING noises, one as dirt and the other grass.

This one, I dn't got it, noise texture, black a greenish dirt and the white the vegetation, noise as Mask.....
    Can you do me a favor of explaining them bit more ? :) that would be great ..

also anything on HOW DO WE BLEND THE MODEL AND THE TERRAIN,. my models also seems popping out instead of blending well...
  • bk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bk3d polycounter lvl 5
    An AO pass on the ground will help. Also getting some blends of some grass to break up the ground. Placing details of rock shrubs and grass around the base of the buildings will help ground the buildings too.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had been working in the new map, namely the jungle map... Here are some of the snaps, let me know what you think... I want it to be like awesome,but I am out of idea.. plz suggest something....
    EDITOR+64+2012-04-15+16-56-21-92.jpgEDITOR+64+2012-04-15+16-56-48-39.jpg
    EDITOR+64+2012-04-15+16-57-02-86.jpgEDITOR+64+2012-04-15+16-58-10-99.jpg
    EDITOR+64+2012-04-15+16-59-15-11.jpg
  • Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things to consider:
    Accent colors (lightning bugs, flowers, birds, butterflys ...)
    Trail markers
    Trail signs
    Small camp sites
    More foliage
    Places of rituals (alters, burial cross, shrines,...)
    Scattered bones
    Fallen trees/logs
    You need large, medium, and small stones
    A more brown path since it is so wide

These latest shots are looking much better than when you began, keep it up!
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks friend :)

1 question, how can we achieve something like this
    2484177-Gunung_Lang_Recreation_Park_Ipoh.jpg
    mountain with heavy tress without increasing too much polycount. using of texture doesn't seem right . so how is that done ?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Model a plane and wrap it around the rock and then just put the tree and leaf texture on it probably the best solution if you want to save on poly count,is that area accessible if so its going to look bad from close up so you should try using LODs.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again your suggestions needed :)

Here is the new map , I worked on .. What do you think ?

img1.jpg
    img2.jpg
    img3.jpg