Home General Discussion

Photoshop CS6 (beta out)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

I'm definitely going to be trying this beta. Biggest thing for me, is Adobe Raw 7.0, some of the other new features are sexy as well.

Quite like Adobe's new move of having beta's for it's apps.

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Blazingly fast performance and a modern UI — Experience unprecedented performance with the Mercury Graphics Engine, which gives you near-instant results when you edit with key tools such as Liquify, Puppet Warp, and Crop.* Plus, a refined, fresh, and elegant Photoshop interface features dark background options that make your images pop.

if this is real... (and not just marketing)... hmm. yeah, i'll try it.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Downloading now, I'm curious! It would be good to have a photoshop again with some solid performance (sometimes I really miss Photoshop 6.0).
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got this in the e-mail today, some nice overview stuff.

Seems like Adobe is going the Autodesk way, interface wise. I don't think it was nessecary, but the new interface looks nice.

General Feature Overview

Also some videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7Qfw7lw5s"]Photoshop CS6 beta feature overview and first look - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zvL63HVNA"]Photoshop CS6 Beta. Tilt-shift blurs and more in the blur gallery - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OXpadn7Bs"]Photoshop CS6 beta new Cropping tools - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-DgJC3nEE"]Photoshop CS6 beta Video editing - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iTCbmcehLI"]Photoshop CS6 beta 3D - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe not the best out there, but certainly a nice overview. ^^
    I personally don't like how much he emphasizes the 'new' perspective cropping tool, since it's a feature that we've got since atleast CS4. :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    0.o perspective cropping just rocked my socks off!!!!!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    downloading now...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    But... you can already use the transform tool to shift perspective like that... nothing new there?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder if their 3d stuff is any good now.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seirei wrote: »
    Got this in the e-mail today, some nice overview stuff.

Seems like Adobe is going the Autodesk way, interface wise. I don't think it was nessecary, but the new interface looks nice.

I dunno, i'd say they're bringing Photoshop, and most likely the rest of their apps in line with After Effects and Lightroom 4 in terms of interface, specially the colouring.

I really like it, sexy.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Dark grey is the new light grey !
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wow... it's VERY nice. a lot LOT faster than cs5.

load time is ~1/10th, liquify is wtf amazing at high resolutions... and generally feels more responsive overall.

running the 64bit version btw. also, this is just my first impression.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good first impression, so they must've done something right! CS3 - CS4 - CS5, it just got slower and slower, for them to have gotten faster is great!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    downloaded will post up my results in this post after playing with it...

My system specs..

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.42ghz
    16 gig ram
    120 gig OCZ SSD
    EVGA GTX 570
    Cintiq 21UX

also will be testing on my cintiq so I'll note if I see any issues with anything....
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    wow... it's VERY nice. a lot LOT faster than cs5.

load time is ~1/10th, liquify is wtf amazing at high resolutions... and generally feels more responsive overall.

running the 64bit version btw. also, this is just my first impression.

So they improved Liquify!?

Adobe! What the hell man, you're supposed to make your software worse, not improve it!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ it's GPU accelerated and overall very speedy.
    also, most of brushes max diameter is 5000 px right now
    superfast response on mac os and 8 gigs of ram
    amazing update
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    damn. didnt see this thread.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Is this extended?
    Is there any 3d in this beta?
    been hoping since release that they would make 3d usable?
    ( customisable viewport navigation so I could actually move without program dyslexia frustration )
    less artifacts? better opengl performance?

Otherwise, the other features look nice.
    I just wish they would rebuild photoshop and make the whole program non-linear.
    ( I would glady use a non-linear compositing application that had nice brushes and selection tools that could equal photoshop. Othewise photoshops linear history is like an anchor that keeps it from really shining. ( my performance is fine on my machine... I find Photoshop a joy on a machine with lots of threads and memory )
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb wrote: »
    Dark grey is the new light grey !

my aging eyes say AMEN!

ikken wrote: »
    ^ it's GPU accelerated and overall very speedy.
    also, most of brushes max diameter is 5000 px right now
    superfast response on mac os and 8 gigs of ram
    amazing update

Ahhh speedy large brush sizes?!

Amen!

does the acceleration take advantage of multiple gpu's? ( geForce )
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've heard good things about the latest ACR, not that many people here care about it. Apparently the new raw engine(in LR4 too) is really awesome.

Is this polycount or what, why isn't this thread filled with people saying "Photopshop 6.0 was the best, i still use it!"
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop 6.0 was the best, I use it all the time. Adobe has gone downhill since. :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha, jokes aside I am still not impressed with the 3D painting, I want them to strip it down not add features. I want no shadows, no lighting setup, no creating objects, standard photoshop layers like in 2D, no materials please. Just let me load in a model and choose how to view it from a few setups(flat shaded, smooth shaded, etc), then let me paint it with the standard photoshop interface.

Glad some of the new features are in extended cause I wont use them.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    haha, jokes aside I am still not impressed with the 3D painting, I want them to strip it down not add features. I want no shadows, no lighting setup, no creating objects, standard photoshop layers like in 2D, no materials please. Just let me load in a model and choose how to view it from a few setups(flat shaded, smooth shaded, etc), then let me paint it with the standard photoshop interface.

Glad some of the new features are in extended cause I wont use them.

Agreed, but although 3d is still in extended only...
    Supposedly 3d has been completely revamped!

Really excited to see if it is usable.
    Wish there was an extended version of the beta.

My download keeps failing! Arghhh! this is frustrating...

Can anyone confirm whether or not this beta is an extended version?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard good things about the latest ACR, not that many people here care about it. Apparently the new raw engine(in LR4 too) is really awesome.

Is this polycount or what, why isn't this thread filled with people saying "Photopshop 6.0 was the best, i still use it!"

photoshop 7 was the best and I do still use it on my shonky old tablet.

cs5 has been good to me - ps been improving steadily since the abortion that was cs1 and this looks like more of the same.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little information about revamped 3d in the launch page videos:
    http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs6#
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I wish they would have a bigger focus on texture editing. like being able to simultaniously an procedurally kind of like allegorithmic's substance.

being able to visually code a shader-like algorithm and feed it a texture and get a texture set (spec, diffuse and normal) out is pretty useful.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    "Tiled Painting From Layer" Is pretty cool. It is sort of like the mudbox tiling plane.

I don't think the feature is ready for primetime though, is laggy at higher resolutions, and doesn't have a good method for outputting the texture (basically you have to make the document 3x the size of the texture you want, make the tiling layer, then save as something and then crop the middle out).
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    Is this extended?
    Is there any 3d in this beta?

looked deeper into the fine print:
    Photoshop CS6 beta includes all the features in Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended. Take this opportunity to try out the 3D image editing and quantitative image analysis capabilities of Photoshop Extended*, but note that—while these features will be included in the shipping version of Photoshop CS6 Extended—they will not be included in the shipping version of Photoshop CS6

Looks like there is camera navigation attempt at improvement...
    No hands on so I still have my fingers crossed

Lynda.com has a whole series of beta 6 videos...
    FREE! :poly124:

http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorials/Photoshop-CS6-Beta-Preview/97406-2.html

27 videos of new features ( only 3 covering 3d )
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I wonder how user feedback was implemented this time around ...
    I'm definitely curious to try it out but it all sounds too good to be true :D Especially since I thiiiink I saw some micro slowdowns in the video shown. We'll see!
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Somebody try nDo or nDo2 with this beta version? Work correctly?
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    need to be sincere? been using cs2 for a while, and it works like a charm, for me at least is the best version out there xD
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    For some reason Crazybump crashes when I try to paste a picture I copy merged from this new photoshop. If I save as the image first, then it works. Anyone else get this?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, color me surprised! They almost revamped everything based upon the user feedback!

That's really nice of them.

Also, bloody hell this is fast! I never used 6.0 or 7.0, so I don't know what the 'mystical' best is, but this is so far better then CS5 so far.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    So far I really like it, the interface is nice and it feels snappier.

3d manipulation is way better, painting was still really slow though, and this was on a 1k viewport document painting on a model w/ a 2k texture :\
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super speedy, even without opengl acceleration (PC at work is XP with a 7300gs) so no opengl, and it works like a dream compared to CS3! Can't really try some of the nicer features without opengl though. - Gonna try that tonight.

Also found a pretty nifty tool - Perspective cropping, don't remember it being in CS5, but i never looked much under the crop tool.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <3 Dark interface.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Also found a pretty nifty tool - Perspective cropping, don't remember it being in CS5, but i never looked much under the crop tool.

It's been there since cs3 as far as I know. But yeah, it's a handy tool to have.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    It's been there since cs3 as far as I know. But yeah, it's a handy tool to have.
    Yeah, only it wasn't called Perspective cropping, you just did it with the transform tool (ctrl-t). It's nothing new, really. Unsure what the big deal is about.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Yeah, only it wasn't called Perspective cropping, you just did it with the transform tool (ctrl-t). It's nothing new, really. Unsure what the big deal is about.

I don't know about CS3 but in CS4 you actually have the perspectice option in the cropping tool build in. It's just that it isn't a tool by itself, but rather a small extra option of the cropping tool.
    That's what confuses me so much, the feature isn't realy new, but anyone is screaming how cool it is now. :poly142:
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    no time now but im already bursting with excitement for when i get to check out the features :DDDD
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Also, bloody hell this is fast! I never used 6.0 or 7.0, so I don't know what the 'mystical' best is, but this is so far better then CS5 so far.
    I'm really amazed how quick the new UI framework is.
    Usually it's the other way around ( = photoshop 7 is more responsive than cs3-cs5 largely because of clunky UI. maya and painter are also similar in that regards, newer interfaces are nifty, but noticeably less responsive.)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    looking good so far - the dark interface is most appreciated and it's running smoothly here for now, nice, painterly feeling with the brushes too. CS5 is a bit jerky in this regard.
    do we know how well the painting toolset these days copes with 16bpp images?
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The projection brushes have some interesting effects while painting, but the performance still isn't that great when you're painting on 5-10k canvases with larger brushes.

Overall the performance is improved from CS5, everything just seems a lot smoother and with less delay. The dark interface is fantastic, since I don't work in fullscreen mode often.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ how much ram do you have assigned to photoshop? I haven't done any serious painting yet (I generally hate photoshop brushes, team painterfags here), but doodling with crazy brush sizes was awesome in terms of speed/brush response; I have 4 GB allocated for PS and some background stuff too (like opera, taking about 1,2 gb + itunes or some hd video).

I remember that dualbrushing/paper texture were making brushes crawl in prev. versions, need to check that out in cs6.

I also haven't figured out what exactly brush projection does, and seems like their web-support lacks cs6 articles, am I right?
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ how much ram do you have assigned to photoshop? I haven't done any serious painting yet (I generally hate photoshop brushes, team painterfags here), but doodling with crazy brush sizes was awesome in terms of speed/brush response; I have 4 GB allocated for PS and some background stuff too (like opera, taking about 1,2 gb + itunes or some hd video).

I remember that dualbrushing/paper texture were making brushes crawl in prev. versions, need to check that out in cs6.

I also haven't figured out what exactly brush projection does, and seems like their web-support lacks cs6 articles, am I right?
    I only have 4 GB of ram on this system (laptop, not planning on building a tower or buying a W8 tablet until next year) and so only dedicate 2.3 GB to it. I have my eye on some 2x 4G gb sticks but I don't have $60 to spare.

Projection brushes render any brushes in 3D, like the 3D brushes that were in CS5, so that you can have angular distortions that make the brushes feel just a bit more natural. iirc painter already has this.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Autosave!!!! finally
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Futzy wrote: »
    I only have 4 GB of ram on this system (laptop, not planning on building a tower or buying a W8 tablet until next year) and so only dedicate 2.3 GB to it. I have my eye on some 2x 4G gb sticks but I don't have $60 to spare.
    that might be the case. photoshop is really resource hungry, and it's safe to assume that every 2nd CS update is asking for hardware upgrade as well.
    cs6 is still all around hugely optimized though.
    Projection brushes render any brushes in 3D, like the 3D brushes that were in CS5, so that you can have angular distortions that make the brushes feel just a bit more natural. iirc painter already has this.
    yeah, but for me, projection brushes have some really weird angles, as opposed to cs5 bristles or cs6 pencil types of brushes - those are very straightforward; projected brushes just feel off, and I can't really control the brush angle (but it gets some variety indeed).
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, but for me, projection brushes have some really weird angles, as opposed to cs5 bristles or cs6 pencil types of brushes - those are very straightforward; projected brushes just feel off, and I can't really control the brush angle (but it gets some variety indeed).
    The higher you hold the pen the more warped it gets, it isn't actually as distorted when I bring the pen to the surface (using intuos 3)
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I like the cat
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Autosave!!!! finally

Argh, so much awesome! Seems like Adobe is on their A-Game!

Snarky Remark: Pixo, give is a proper AT-Save already!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the cat
    they should include cat macros browser with all releases from now, who the hell needs adobe bridge
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Super weird, guys. It works on my awful little netbook fairly well, but I just got my family a new computer, and it freezes the whole system at the "Searching for plug-ins" screen with the cat. It won't unfreeze, so I have to reboot. Super disappointed by that.
    This computer isn't bad either. 4 gb ram,dual-core, whatever. Windows 7.

Any ideas why this would happen?

EDIT: Actually, it isn't just the "Searching for Plug-ins" part. It pretty much freezes randomly within the start-up screen, and never recovers.