Home General Discussion

Silent Hill: Downpour

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
Alright, couldn't find a thread for it, so here it is. I'm not finished with this game, probably not even 1/4th through but thus far..

Pros:
1.Character/Environment art is pretty nice.
2.Genuinely interested in most characters/plot elements
3.Tries some new stuff, doesn't cling to series staples (hospitals, schools, certain monsters)
4.Puzzles return! Actual puzzles. Fantastic.
5.Can slowly open doors, which can be a life saver..
6. Cool otherworld effects, IMO
7.Get some choices to make that effect things. More obvious how to get different endings, rather than in 1 or 2 where unless you read online you could accidentally get the worst one, although there was some charm to that, I suppose.

Cons:
1.Murphy Pendelton (LOL CUZ HE WAS IN JAIL)
2.Lighting can be..odd, lightning storm effects are weird
3.Combat. I honestly think combat in the first game was better than this. Seems like they've tried everything from new combat systems to removing it all together, and I still prefer the way combat worked in 1-4, personally.
4.Monster design isn't quite as good, at least from what i've seen, but then again it hasn't been since the 3rd one, IMO.
5. Akira Yamaoka wasn't involved. His music was some of my favorite, video game or otherwise. The music in the game works, but it just isn't the same.
6. Weird framrate issues/stuttering, mostly during transitions from small areas. Similar to Shattered Memories type stuttering, probably due to what I assume is a 'streamed' world? IDK if xbox version has same trouble, i'm playing ps3 version.
7. Doesn't feel as intense or overwhelming as other entries into the series, mostly just frustrating. The first few silent hill games had their frustrating moments too, but they seem to crop up in every combat scenario in this game. Not to mention randomly respawning monsters, although I suppose the first few had nigh unto infinite monsters if you stuck around.
8. The 'Side Quests' seem really weird and out of place. "Free all of the birds"? Hmm.

That's about it. Overall, I'm finding it enjoyable, but as with every Silent Hill game, it's flawed. At least they didn't phone in Pyramid Head for this one.

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    This is out already? woa... it went out very unnoticed eh?

I am a big fan of Akira Yamaokas OST.. i have all of them and i listen to them often. But i was kind of excited for this one. The guy who does the soundtrack for Dexter is the guy doing the music. Daniel Licht, here is his website. http://www.danlicht.com/ Is the music not that good? I was expecting good things from him.

I guess i'll have to give it a spin.

EDIT: http://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/daniel-licht-downpour-intro
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know if I want to be honest here or not :( ..., maybe I need to play it first before judging ....
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I was considering picking this up after I had heard it was a step in the right direction of SH2.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    This is out already? woa... it went out very unnoticed eh?

I am a big fan of Akira Yamaokas OST.. i have all of them and i listen to them often. But i was kind of excited for this one. The guy who does the soundtrack for Dexter is the guy doing the music. Daniel Licht, here is his website. http://www.danlicht.com/ Is the music not that good? I was expecting good things from him.

I guess i'll have to give it a spin.

EDIT: http://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/daniel-licht-downpour-intro

The music isn't bad at all, it's just not the same as Akira Yamaoka's work.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    I was considering picking this up after I had heard it was a step in the right direction of SH2.

In some ways, I feel it is. They have puzzles and honestly, one of them stumped me completely. They're pretty much classic Silent Hill puzzles. Story is pretty good overall, but monsters/combat are the biggest detractor for me. Mostly just because I feel incredibly frustrated in combat scenarios, even if i'm doing well in them. I can't place why but it just completely removes me from the game, because I really enjoy just exploring and solving puzzles. In the other games, it felt like a natural part of the game, if clunky and troublesome. Idk, overall I'd recommend it but maybe not at full price if you're unsure..
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh... they had that dev videos on the combat... wish they had not included that in the game. Shattered Memories didn't rely in combat and it was such a unique and awesome experience. I think exploring and feeling vulnerable, and trying to solve puzzles to overcome enemies should be the way to go in the future games.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, maybe. At least, if the combat in the latest games is any indication. It's manageable but blah. I haven't played shattered memories, it looks cool but I honestly don't like the way they handled the otherworld stuff, from what I've seen. I really think that they could, at some point, still make a competent and responsive combat system that really works, but Downpour is not the game that has it. There are also probably better ways to strip out combat entirely, than having you run through a frozen corridor being chased by uglies.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its more than that... there is a thrill in the chase, you trying to hide, and where you want to hide. Makes a big difference. Honestly, i think since SH2, Shattered memories kept me on edge most of the time, and unnerved me a lot. I would give it a try if you are a big SH fan. Its a really good game.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Its more than that... there is a thrill in the chase, you trying to hide, and where you want to hide. Makes a big difference. Honestly, i think since SH2, Shattered memories kept me on edge most of the time, and unnerved me a lot. I would give it a try if you are a big SH fan. Its a really good game.

i meant to get it when I went in to the store, actually. Ended up getting Downpour instead, forgot it came out. I'll probably get SM and HD collection sometime when I can afford more stuff. Much love for the Silent Hill series, finished 1+2 at least twice each, very good stuff.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually really enjoyed the game, once it hit it's stride and I did some thinking about it. If the 'magic' of the original 4 games is to be gone for good, then Downpour is a step in the right direction.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220529p1.html omg

really sad about silent hill 1 director currently making gravity gaze puzzlie for psv while konami can't care enough to dispatch a Japanese art-director for their outsorce studios.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    i finished sh 1,2,3,4,5 and want to play this when i can...
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Need to pick this up soon. I missed the last couple but this one sounds like a must play.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't really listen to IGN on this one. I wish that Team Silent was still together and making Silent Hill, but it just isn't so. Konami saw fit to disband them and put Silent Hill in the hands of different developers. Silent Hill may never be quite the same, but that's not to say that it can't be good. Downpour is flawed but I still really enjoyed it.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ well that article is very concurring with my own feelings of SH present, it's always cool to read what another bitter fanboy wrote!
    as for SH, it lost the sophisticated art-direction first, the genius of yamaoka second.
    anyone really cared about SH gameplay? I never did except for ST where it is a big part of experience;
    the classic SH always was a twisted eye-candy with terrific OST, they could haven't changed the formula from SH1 at all, it would still be good.

The recent outsourced games feel like any other western survival horror with action, mannequin looking characters and falling apart art direction of game.
    I'm listening to downpour ost atm, and it's mostly ok, really appropriate, kudos for hiring Licht.

No vocal tracks from Mary Elizabeth McGlynn - she only does some background woahwahhhs in a track or two, no Joe Romersa, and horrible, horrible J Davis feature all indicate a really sloppy approach.
    At least they tried?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they tried. I'm pretty much 100% in agreement with what you said in that last post. The gameplay was never an issue for me, so when reviewers complain about bad gameplay, I scoff. I almost wish they never did change the formula, though 2 and 3 were fantastic, with 4 being a decent game of it's own right. I've personally never understood this obsession with Mary Elizbeth McGlynn, though. She does decent vocal stuff but idk.
    Here's to hoping that the next Silent Hill (forgetting Book of Memories) is another step back in the right direction, or so bad that it finally kills the series.
    (hoping, of course, that afterwards they sell the rights and hopefully someone halfway competent picks them up. Or goes to kickstarter. I'm just dreaming here.)
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, I'm glad we agreed on that :)

To be fair, I got all fanboying over McGlynn after this - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4rXbSnk2ng"]Silent Hill 4-Room Of Angel (Akira Yamaoka) - YouTube[/ame]
    (also probably the best part of sh4 overall)

I have no idea where this series goes after tbh. I think shattered memories approach won't work twice (but hey you can give that dude machine guns and make it first person!), and I can't imagine downflop reaching decent sales.
    Even if they cut off a major chunk of development costs by picking an Eastern European sweatshop to work on this title, what's the point of staining the flawed brand even more by releasing overall mediocre games.

ps: just checked out book of memories, slightly horrified.
    I guess if they're trying to kill this franchise classily, they're getting quite close to achieving this.
    what the hell.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just hoping that book of memories is a one off thing and they never ever make a mistake like that again.
    i'm more and more convinced that konami just doesn't understand what people want from this series anymore
    I can't picture downpour selling well either. Idk what's going to happen next, I just know that after downpour the vatra guy says he wants another one, but whether or not konami is down with that..
    Idk, I think that Vatra might better next time, with more refinement but honestly i'd like nothing more than for a much more capable developer *(coughtheoriginalteamcough) to do it. But even silent hill 4, their last offering, was a step in the wrong way. idk. it's a confusing series, and I don't think many people will ever come close to nailing the feeling/story/everything if anyone
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ikken wrote: »
    cool, I'm glad we agreed on that :)

To be fair, I got all fanboying over McGlynn after this .

It's just a dream...
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking online for a ps3 to 360 comparison of the game, with nothing so far. Anyone has anything to say about the performance? I am thinking about picking this up today, but i dunno which one. I am leaning towards the ps3.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the ps3 version has some more prominent stuttering/framerate issues.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was gonna buy this... and i think eventually maybe i will, but i purchased Lone Survivor and it is totally worth it. its a long the lines of silent hill style, but this game has been getting under my skin and unnerving the shit out of me haha. its really good so far. anybody else giving it a chance? there is a demo i think.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumps
    flop of memories ost features two new tracks with Mary Elizabeth vocals and Akira Yamaoka guitar in love psalm
    composing done by Daniel Licht

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqHSrcfUxo"]SH:BOM OST #26 - Love Psalm - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBoSknICayI"]SH:BOM OST #25 - Now We're Free - YouTube[/ame]

not bad, but pretty basic, both music and lyrics.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like i'm the only Silent Hill fan I know that doesn't really care about Mary Elizabeth Glynn. I don't particularly like any of the songs she sings in, personally, and her presence alone isn't enough to make the music good. She's good at singing, i'm just really not into it.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    What's the sequel? Silent Hill: I Wish It Would Stop Raining?
    HA.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    I feel like i'm the only Silent Hill fan I know that doesn't really care about Mary Elizabeth Glynn. I don't particularly like any of the songs she sings in, personally, and her presence alone isn't enough to make the music good. She's good at singing, i'm just really not into it.

I think she provided great vocal finish for Romersa/Yamaoka composing and lyric work. Her presence alone indeed doesn't save the sinking sh ship; I do find tracks with vocals to be more playable (none of above made it into my playlist though).

I also can not think of any better vocalist in the weaboo part of world (apparently she was known for anime voice-overs before teaming up with silent hill music team);
    and it's not even her voice, it's level of refinement and finish that previous composers provided. Licht tries, but fails imo.

@ Darth Tomi
    SH: I wish it would stop flopping
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's not bad, but I just greatly prefer standard Yamaoka work without her being involved. She's not a bad "WEEABOO" vocalist as it were, but I just really don't care about her involvement.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing this recently. I was hating the combat for a while... could barley fend for myself in situations without getting pummeled a million times. But after a while I learned to use the block more and/or stay my distance and throw stuff at them haha. It is nice later on when you get to use the guns more, and how I love the hammer which allows you to drop some blows super fast. The enemies aren't as creepy as previous games which is disappointing but they've made me jump several times! Pretty tense game at times though.. starting to dig it more and more the further I get.