Home General Discussion

Michael Bay turning Ninja Turtles into Aliens

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dataday polycounter lvl 8
After I threw up, twice... I rubbed my eyes and doubled checked the news coming out of Hollywood.

Michael Bay is re-writing the teenage mutant ninja turtle origin for the upcoming live action reboot.

They are now aliens...from outer space, not mutants.

(below image is not from the movie)
aliens1.jpg

"When you see this movie, kids are going to believe one day these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie," said Bay as he took the stage to discuss his new vision for the reptilian reboot. "These turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable." -Bay

Source: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/20/michael-bay-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-reponse/

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I bet Peter Laird is kicking himself for selling to Viacom now....

God.. the worst director ever in charge. Its like a nightmare.

Also makes no sense with the "Mutants" in the title.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The universe is punishing Kevin Eastman for ruining Heavy Metal.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Aliens always make movies better. Look at Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe we should just be thankful for he did not turn Transformers into animals. Ok, we should not.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    God I hate that cunt.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Overreact much? There was an equally rabid throng of fans when the 'evil' Michael Bay changed the Transformers' old designs to something a bit more contemporary in the first movie. Seems to have worked out okay. The man is not trying to ruin your childhood, he's just a Popcorn-movie maker out to put as many ads and supermodels in his movies as possible.

How 'bout we wait till we've seen the movie?
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Hmmm.... screen looks fake. It is just too crappy.
    Maybe just the mutagen comes from space somehow and the rest is just as we know it from our childhood.
  • Mark Dygert
    Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles?

T.A.N.T. gunna do well...?
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Teenage Alien Ninja... Aliens?
    aivanov wrote:
    Seems to have worked out okay.

Welcome back from whatever parallel universe you've been lost in ;)
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    C86G wrote: »
    Maybe just the mutagen comes from space somehow and the rest is just as we know it from our childhood.

This I could deal with pretty happily.

The whole thing just smacks of already planning the sequel - "And then they returned to fight bad guys on their totally bodacious home planet!"

The whole Krang / Dimension X thing could work with the aliens angle. I don't know, the fanboy in me wants to hate Bay, but I usually find his movies reasonably entertaining.

Shrug.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to see what the "FUCK YEAH USA!!!!!" moment will be in this movie.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    aivanov wrote: »
    Overreact much? There was an equally rabid throng of fans when the 'evil' Michael Bay changed the Transformers' old designs to something a bit more contemporary in the first movie. Seems to have worked out okay. The man is not trying to ruin your childhood, he's just a Popcorn-movie maker out to put as many ads and supermodels in his movies as possible.

How 'bout we wait till we've seen the movie?

Its not really over reacting. The reaction is that 1, if it aint broke dont fix it..especially where narratives with backstory are concerned and 2, I dont like and can say i dont like it. Just not liking what he is doing and continues to do is not an over reaction...unless you qualify your reaction to this an over reaction.

Im sure when they make a barbie movie and turn them into aliens, or the next batman movie he is no longer modeled after a bat but a honey badger, you might say the same thing.

The name of the franchise kind of solidifies their origins. They mutated from radio active material...LIKE GODZILLA. One does not just remove that fact and still keep the name.

Consistency and the desire for more consistency is never an over reaction.
  • gsokol
    I can only assume that master shredder will be a transformer.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dataday, I certainly don't consider your answer and overreaction, however, I'm sure everyones aware that when one remakes anything with enough nostalgia about it, someone is gonna get pissed over absolutely any change. The recent Star Trek movie? I liked it, I liked the older TV stuff as well - but apparently (and of course) die-hards were dissatissfied. There's also the reflexive instinct to denounce anything Michael Bay, which is understandable, but he has made entertaining movies.

The only thing that's clear about the movie right now is that it'll absolutely be the latest over-marketed and over-merchandized piece of entertainment to hit the screen. And that April will be played by a supermodel. Whether it'll be bad or good remains to be seen.

They'll probably chalk up the name to some reporter jokingly describing the aliens as TMNT.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    If the mutagen came from space, I could be ok.

Here, The Guardian explains my thoughts to a T:

"Making the turtles aliens would ruin everything – their desire to be accepted, their bizarre late-1980s street lingo, their fondness for pizza. Everything," the paper argued. "Are we really meant to believe that there's an alien race of giant turtles who just happen to all be named after renowned Renaissance artists from this planet, and speak English, and who came to Earth with a giant elderly rat who's presumably from the same race, just to live in sewers and loudly eschew anchovies at every opportunity? Hardly, Michael Bay. Hardly."

Now if he can hire a writer and team that can make it work, hats off to him. I dunno though...
  • Mark Dygert
    Overreact much? There was an equally rabid throng of fans when the 'evil' Michael Bay changed the Transformers' old designs to something a bit more contemporary in the first movie. Seems to have worked out okay.
    I had trouble with the readability of the new robots which got in my way of enjoying the films a few times. The augmentations to the story weren't an issue. There where quite a few scenes where two bots would fight and you couldn't really tell what pieces belonged to which or what was happening. It was like watching fractal art have sex. Maybe some people thought it was cool to not be able to distinguish arms from torsos or faces from feet but I found it a bit annoying when they muddled up the silhouettes and swirled around everything inside.
    Swampy.jpg
    Someone should have said lets not do this...
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark, I agree in regard to the Decepticon's designs - total clusterfuck. But I always thought the Autobots were handled well.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I've only ever walked out of two films in my life, both Michael Bay films (Pearl Harbor and Transformers 1). While I particularly disdain what he makes, you can't deny how profitable his spectacular explosions and 3 second cuts are.

I'm sure the Ninja Turtles movie he makes will make bank if its anything to the production quality of Transformers, but, like a lot of his films, they won't really stay with people like other long existing properties like Nolan's Batman, or the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica.

Besides, rationalizing the existence of anthropomorphic martial arts trained turtles is kind of a hard and silly task too.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov, you've never seen the Garbage Pail Kids movie I take it? Howard the Duck either. Both were meant for kids (well ok HD maybe halfway) both used the premises of Aliens to explain (albeit alternate universe for HD), both used foam rubber. The original TMNT movie though foam rubber had.. heart. It didn't treat the audience as total lowest common denominator either.

This isn't like the Transformers where Bay can make the excuse that nothing existed before life-action. There is a history here of some movies that at least showed the TMNT could be a good franchise with a decent story (first and third).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYayVPYH6g8"]Garbage Pail Kids The Movie (3 of 12) - YouTube[/ame]
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    It was like watching fractal art have sex.

hhaahahahahahahahahahaah omg you nailed it xD
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Seriously, can't this cunt fuck off and OD on coke in a ditch or something? I mean seriously, half of the time he puts something in a movie because he taught of it while doing push-ups or something from his high-rise apartment in down-town New York.

And if you think I hate the guys because I hate him for it being 'cool', I'm not kidding, he lies all the time, he's condescending, doesn't listen to anyone and must always include his 'life-style' and how it affected his creative thinking of a movie while doing sit-ups.

I hate the guy, he's like the annoying, small bully kid at school, who couldn't get anything in their thick skull, even if you pounded it down his head, and yet somehow always got the easy ride in life.

I hope next time he's having sex, his partners transformers in a cheetah, and mauls his pecks before tossing him from the building and landing him in a convertible car.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Seriously, can't this cunt fuck off and OD on coke in a ditch or something? I mean seriously, half of the time he puts something in a movie because he taught of it while doing push-ups or something from his high-rise apartment in down-town New York.

And if you think I hate the guys because I hate him for it being 'cool', I'm not kidding, he lies all the time, he's condescending, doesn't listen to anyone and must always include his 'life-style' and how it affected his creative thinking of a movie while doing sit-ups.

I hate the guy, he's like the annoying, small bully kid at school, who couldn't get anything in their thick skull, even if you pounded it down his head, and yet somehow always got the easy ride in life.

I hope next time he's having sex, his partners transformers in a cheetah, and mauls his pecks before tossing him from the building and landing him in a convertible car.

Translated to "I've got anger issues but I am seeking help for the most of it."

Guys.. I'm sure it will be just fine... (I HOPE)... But seriously my guess the mutagen or whatever he will use comes from space while the turtles are from earth... My guess...
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Overreact much?

is that even possible?

trans_skidsmudflap1.jpg?w=500&h=408
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    The thing is, if you've read the TMNT comics that started it all, the cartoon and the first load of films were a travesty anyways. But if they wanted to remake it, they should do a Batman Begins, take out all the campiness, add in a dump truck full of grit, make it dark & sometimes gorey and stay faithful to the source.

Teenage, mutant, ninja turtles that live in a sewer under New York. I don't need to wonder why Hollywood is struggling if they can't follow through with that without changing them into something that came from space.

Transformers 1 gave me goosebumps, but they all look like 3D tribal tattoos, and are completely unreadable when motion blurring across the screen.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Genius! M. Night Shamalmanann does it again!
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    @Scudz, there's a reason I said change in design. The ridiculous racist robots that somehow got past whatever self-censorship bureau, if any, that Hollywood has are a different issue.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    The thing is, if you've read the TMNT comics that started it all, the cartoon and the first load of films were a travesty anyways. But if they wanted to remake it, they should do a Batman Begins.

Not gonna happen. Viacom/Nickelodeon owns it now.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Translated to "I've got anger issues but I am seeking help for the most of it."

Guys.. I'm sure it will be just fine... (I HOPE)... But seriously my guess the mutagen or whatever he will use comes from space while the turtles are from earth... My guess...

I couldn't care less about TMNT, TF, PH, or any other the movies in the 'making' of his movies listed under his banner, I don't like them, I don't watch, period. Fair game to all.

And other then Batman, Spider-Man and a few other main-stream hero's, I didn't have anything else to be nerdy about other then games. So these movies don't appeal to me since I don't have a childhood appendage attached to it.

But the guy is a serious travesty to the whole of the film community! People complain about his stuff, he fires back by saying "Oh, shut up you nerds" followed by "Don't worry, this movie corrects everything and doesn't have X from Y", which doesn't happen at all. This isn't corporate lie's, this is an INDIVIDUAL lying about something which people can see a mile away from, and he still insists it's the truth.

Then he rants about how during a booze party he thought of making A, B, C as changes because he saw it on 60 minutes, and though putting soldiers in sugar squirrel gliding kit is awesome.

He is the epitome of decadent thinking and attitude of self-masturbatory peck to his own cheek and high thinking. If he wants to make a movie and make it with 'aliens', fine by me, want to add explosions and orange crushed tones? Even better, but please, stop thinking you're deity to be worshiped with your awesome abs.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    speechless ......, I hope video game never will be one man , one actor, one actress centric ever.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    As long as eminem plays vanilla ice's part, i see no problem. Go ninja go ninja go! -.-

So what's next? masters of the universe reboot? keeping fingers crossed!
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I believe the turtles, in some versions, were mutated by some ooze flowing out of the teleportation devices the krang-like aliens used to travel between planets. That's to say that they were mutated by alien stuff but they aren't actual aliens themselves. Having them be aliens could work but it would ruins a lot of the essence. They are earthlings who fight aliens, not aliens fighting aliens and using earth as their battlefield like some other movie franchise.
    The only reason Bay still manages to get to ruin these franchises is because people for for them to succeed with their money. People, indirectly, want him to make whatever he's doing. I just hope this will dive in the box office. Not gonna happen, I know, but one can hope.
  • Joshua Stubbles
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I think he's just trolling at this point. He knows he'll get away with it, so why not?
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Psyk0 wrote: »
    So what's next? masters of the universe reboot?

Yup.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340/
    No actual info yet, beyond the fact that it's in production.
  • Mrskullface
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Interesting. I love TMNT! Reckon the news would be much easier to digest if they released images too. There seems to be a lot of overreacting, but I'm eager to see and hear more.

I am conflicted though, it seems like this would be better if it was named something else that was original. You turn too many knobs on the design-concept-o-meter for an idea, it doesn't become a reboot or new vision anymore, it becomes something new entirely. Hope they're not going too far, hell.

Maybe they'll make the Turtles a product of Krang or something - which could be cool.

and with [sarcasm = on]

Next up, "There is an X-Men reboot, but instead of people with new genes and being human, they'll be octopus people who emerged from the Deep Sea! They have special abilities such as regeneration, telepathy, super strength, skin-driven camouflage, eyes that shoot lasers. The twist is that they are actually inter-dimensional beings." That'd be a cool movie, but its not an X-Men movie. Would be better being called C'thulu Adventure Team Prime.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I am conflicted though, it seems like this would be better if it was named something else that was original. You turn too many knobs on the design-concept-o-meter for an idea, it doesn't become a reboot or new vision anymore, it becomes something new entirely. Hope they're not going too far, hell.
    Yep, there's definitely too many knobs involved in this project.
  • Tenchi
    Over here the cartoon was called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (Heroes in a half shell, cowabunga '__' ) ...Whatever Bayformers does it'll probably still make a billion though.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't know about this until I saw this thread.. I cant stop laughing..
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    EmAr wrote: »
    Maybe we should just be thankful for he did not turn Transformers into animals. Ok, we should not.

oh no you le didn't.

Beast Wars 4 lyfe
  • jimmypopali
    Well, he is working with the creator of TMNT, so does that say something? No idea.

I hope they don't resemble aliens. Maybe just their origin. But that's it.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    120319b_turtle_aliens.jpg

HAHAHHAHAH Joshua, what ever the hell i was going to post didn't matter after seeing that!!! i watch that show sometimes JUST for that guy! :D!

EDIT: oh yah, why would they even give this to Michael bay in the first place!?
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Be cool if they went in this direction.

359_stream.jpg

241_stream.jpg

749_stream.jpg
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    hey wait, maybe he's combining Ninja Turtles with the movie Aliens.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    120319b_turtle_aliens.jpg
    Dude, I just Googled what that was all about. Holy crap that hair is real. Sad part is this guy woke up did his hair, looked in the mirror and said "I'm gonna be on TV!!". That same fateful day, the History Channel's hair and make up crew got lost on the way to the taping of the show.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but you're suggesting that the History channel would actually WANT to not let him look that crazy. They hair helps sell out screwed up/nutty that guy is.

As for the movie, the only way I can find this remotely acceptable, is if the aliens somehow lead to the creation of the turtles (as some have suggested here already). Honestly though, why does Bay take these existing concepts, and then thinks he needs to reinvent the storyline? Isn't the storyline the reason they WANT to make it? If he wants ninja aliens, why not make a new title?
    This is why people get so upset. They loved the original storylines, and now he's just trying to USE those people, to bring them to his new abomination.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    The story has nothing to do with it.
    They want to make MONEY and the quickest/safest way the studios (typically) know how to do that is to take an existing and popular license and throw it up on the screen as either sequel #87 or an edgy new reboot to appeal to a new audience. Occasionally the people they hire to do this happen to have an ounce of talent (Nolan's Batman films) but most of the time we end up with Bay-Transformer, Summers-G.I.Joe, Ratner-X-men and slew of other cinematic disasters.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's what I mean, they don't care about the story. They care about how we love the original stories, so it gets our attention (and they hope for our money). Bay acts like he cares about the story, otherwise he wouldn't change it. The studios are the ones that obviously don't care about the story, or they would stop Bay from changing it.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    well I guess that's true.

huh.

now I just feel sad for him.