Home Technical Talk

What sort of brushes do you use when making hand painted textures

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Out of curiosity,what sort of brushes do you guys use for painting and blending when making hand drawn textures?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It up to the users skills, there is no concrete answers, some people use the custom brush from Wacom interfaces, while others the standard ones from PS, and some even use the Square Brush.

Either way, you need a tablet for the pressure and other sensitivity related points, that is the only thing that will give you enough control to paint a hand painted look on your textures.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Either way, you need a tablet for the pressure and other sensitivity related points, that is the only thing that will give you enough control to paint a hand painted look on your textures.

Or you are JFletcher and handpaint like a boss with a mouse(i know he has a tablet now, but there are older works where he only used a mouse)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I mostly just use hard round. I used to have a bunch of brushes collected by artist at Mythic but I sort of misplaced them.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I would recommend what one of Blizzard's concept artist uses. Its a brush set that after some use is quite perfect for that hand painted texture look.

You can get it at his deviant art page here: http://mr--jack.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=brushes#/d1yc98d
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Or you are JFletcher and handpaint like a boss with a mouse(i know he has a tablet now, but there are older works where he only used a mouse)

If you go for the hard look, yes. I can't really recommend mice anymore since you waste too much time using the eraser or background colors to compensate for the precise hard look you need.

Not to mention, many people still can't get Lazy-Nezumi to run in their PS.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, JO420 isn't asking how to hand paint textures he's asking about brushes. He's an old salt, I'm sure he could show you guys a thing or two about painting textures.

Here's an old thread linking some brushes if you fancy taking a looksee
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i use hard round brush, and hard square brush, no fancy ones for me.
  • megancheung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually asked the same question here, on the game-art board about two years ago.

Texturing is just applied painting, its much easier/quicker for a painter to learn to texture than for a non-painter.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Dataday wrote: »
    I would recommend what one of Blizzard's concept artist uses. Its a brush set that after some use is quite perfect for that hand painted texture look.

You can get it at his deviant art page here: http://mr--jack.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=brushes#/d1yc98d
    Thanks a lot for this link !
    These brush looks very cool !
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    im here 100% with Rhinokey
    hard round and square.
    sometimes soft round for larger colorgradiations, dont need to do everyone by hand.
    but handpainted is an area were i would encourage everyone to get creative with looks shaders and brushes alike, so try out new styles.
    also trying to recreate 2D styles often doesnt realy work so well, better try to make up something yourself, that works in 3D.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks alot for the replies, alot of good ideas about what sort of brushes other artists use and ive included a few in my brush set :)

Justin: Wow thanks for helping me feel like an old man which i certainly am in 3d artist years, i happened to look at my sig and damn,member since 2004 :) But you hit the nail on te head,i was just looking for some perspectives on what other artists use to hand paint textures, i am training a few artist straight out of uni and i wanted to give them different perspectives to the style besides my own to help them improve and make so quality art work :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Holden made a pretty cool vidya recently:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1erX_ICi89A&list=UUyD0h3pqwxXRf7TSlvW2LPQ&index=8&feature=plpp_video"]Hand Painted Realist Stone Tile Tutor - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going to do a hand painted stream pretty soon as well, it's going to focus 3D Coat & Photoshop - I'll post an update when I have a date set.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I use the round brush with Wacom tablet.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I've been meaning to ask, this seems like an appropriate topic, do you guys have any tips as to how to customize the brush in photoshop to get a bit more texture?

Digital paintings always seem too clean to me compared to traditional, where you get texture from brush strokes and the canvas.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask, this seems like an appropriate topic, do you guys have any tips as to how to customize the brush in photoshop to get a bit more texture?

Digital paintings always seem too clean to me compared to traditional, where you get texture from brush strokes and the canvas.

There are brushes in photoshop, and custom brushes in which to do that.... they blend like paint but its not traditional feeling as say Corel Painter, both digital. Its all in the bushes.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Bigjohn wrote: »

I found this to be an issue as well when I first started painting digitally. I use a lot of Photoshop's basic brushes, then open up the brush editor and go nuts till I find something that feels right. The things I mess with first are usually the angle jitter (set to direction) and scattering. Then sometimes dual brush. Set to mid opacity and rock out!

The day Wacom comes out with a fully fledged bristle brush instead of a pen for their tablets is the day I'm in heaven :P