Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval sword texture

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hey guys, here i am again, trying to improve my skills. I have made a quick sword model and now i am trying to texture it, i am going for a realistic rusted look, but i am really far from it.
I would love critics on the materials, as i am not happy with any of them so far :\
24qs8q9.jpg
Any tips, comments, critics will be apreciated

Replies

• Nina I.
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Hi there! Firstly, I personally think the photo background is a little distracting from the subject matter - did you keep it to compare how well your sword would fit in a real life setting? I am saying this only because the question was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the image. :)

As for the texture, I think the steel has a nice amount of subtle grain to it, but I think the material still looks too "perfect". I think there could be faint scratches all around, and the material could be a tiny bit more reflective depending on how new or old it is supposed to be.

The colour of the leather strap around the grip seems too monotone to me. I think adding subtle colour variation to it, using slightly different brownish shades, would yield more natural looking results. :)

Also, the outer and inner edges of the blade could be sharper, while I think the edges of the cross-guard and pommel could have more rounded edges. But these tweaks regard the model itself, not the texture.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks a lot for the critics!
    Updated some things, made the scratches more noticable but i need to edit them as they look unrealisitc, still have to play around with the leather and the other parts of the handle.
    Trying to make some rust as well
    2vv7z9h.jpg
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Take a good advice and please use gray background.