Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retrofuturistic Light Tank

InProgress
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
InProgress polycounter lvl 14
Hi,

The last 2 weeks I’ve been working on a fictional cavalry tank as both a portfolio piece and an exercise to get a better understanding of bakes for production values. I was going for a look influenced by Keith Thompson’s work on Iron Grip.

Incoming large amounts of text on how I designed it. Scroll to the bottom of the post for the images.

I went through the design process by first putting down some final features to get me started: the squashed half-spherical shape of the turret, inspired by the T-62, as well as the floating suspension arms. The overall look I was going for was streamlined with few details, but functional looking. I didn’t have any concept art, so I did a blockout of the tank in Maya, changing shapes quickly so I can get a rough silhouette from all angles..

That got me pretty far for the front of the tank, but I still had no idea for the back, nor how to connect the floating arms to the body. I thought of dropping the floating arms in favor of more traditional suspension several times, but that wouldn’t have seem like I’m just cheating myself.

I looked up more references (I should have done that properly in the beginning) and looked at early WW2 and Inter-war light tanks. The shape of the back sorta evolved from the French Hotchkiss H35 tank, but felt empty. The curve on the back gave a more cohesive feel and to the front, as well as giving me a way to connect the arms to the hull.

After I was happy with the silhouette, I started the high poly. Since I didn’t have a proper concept at the beginning, it slowed me down immensely: I had no idea of what type of details to add to the hull, nor if the mechanics I had in place in the block out worked (they didn’t). I had to make some overall changes to make it look sorta functional. The suspension was the most thought out in the blockout phase, but still needed a lot of changes to be functional.

The main things I learnt through this piece so far and they're all beginner mistakes I never adressed:

-Gather your refs at the beginning
-Do a concept piece and think out all the large pieces then
-Human placeholders work wonders for better understanding both the inside and the outside of a vehicle.

I've started on the low poly, more to come soon :)

Reference sheet: Light%20Tank%20Reference%20sheet.jpg

High Poly: LightTank01.jpg
LightTank02.jpg

Any feedback or comments are welcome.

Replies

• Rob Macko
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    This looks like it's coming along nicely, I will keep a eye on your thread :)
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Coooll.... nice work....
  • chrisavigni
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Great ideia and very nice start! Subscribed!
  • cdevens
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Nice design. I really like the shape of the pieces holding the wheels.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    cool design- the mechanisms along the side of the treads remind me a bit of what you see on the inside of a pocket watch. It might be cool to reference some watch innards to help further push that shape language
  • Hang10
    Digging the HP and agreed with above the wheel look cool. But I have one thing to say about the treads. if this thing ever does see combat those treads are as good as done immobilizing the tank.

It looks cool but the practicality isn't all there.
  • pmcgowan
    I agree - the treads look too slack to be functional. Seems like they would rub against the small shelf by the shovel.

That "pirate tank" concept is cool though - you should expand on the giant pistons look you've got going on the wheels I think those give it alot of character.
  • Darkleopard
    Agreed with all above. The treads need a little work, but im digging the design
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko, cmtanko, chrisavigni, cdevens, pmcgowan: Thanks :)
    konstruct: Thanks for the idea. I didn't think it like that, but it might offer more ways to improve them. I was trying to get ideas from steam engines, but since they use straight beams, it wasn't really what I was looking for. Also, could you explain to me what shape language is? I haven't heard the term before.
    Hang10: Cheers! Are you talking about them being useless in battle because of the slack, the lack of side skirts, the threads themselves or all? :) If it's the slack, that's easily fixable.
    DarkLeopard: The treads themselves, or the path through which they follow?

Here are 2 quick concepts on removing the slack from the treads while trying to keep the shape

A. involves a return roller with a suspension, that should keep the tread tightened, but still allow for movement in case large amounts of dirt gather on it.
    B. Here, I just added a large wheel on the suspension anchor, so it acts as a return roller, without doing many significant changes. One downside is that it seems to have an empty spot on the hull

What do you guys think? I'm biased towards A, since the shape of the treads are closer to the idea I started with.

LightTankUpdate01.jpg
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I suppose shape language is one of those terms I`ve picked up over the years that doesn't really exist outside of specific dev studios.

Shape language simply refers to a collection of design aesthetics, specifically shape/volumes, but often extends to textural or color information. The goal is to define a specific style. Defining a shape language is particularly useful when designing a large set of assets that are meant to compliment one another.

the combine from HL2
    the Necris from UT3
    or
    the Tau for 40k

are all examples of how shape language is used to help push the design process.
    Defining shape language is usually the hardest part- but ideally all subsequent designs should fall in place as a result of an established shape language.
  • mbischof
    Looking good. Could you post some wires? Thanks!
  • pmcgowan
    A looks more believable than B- - and gives an excuse to add more steampunky pistons! :D
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the incredibly late update, Killing Floor was taking up my time :)

While this isn't a massive update, I've just been tweaking little things, trying to geta more cohesive look. I went for the simpler version in the end since it looked like a more elegant solution. I started doing some low poly pieces to get some good bakes, but I've been running into some triangulation issues due to how Maya calculates the triangles. Anybody know why it's happening?

Thanks for watching.

LightTankUpdate02.jpg
    LightTank_Wire01.jpg
    LightTank_Wire02.jpg
    LP_Wheel.jpg
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been some time since I last updated. So far, I've been optimizing and baking to get good results as well as doing some minor tweaks on the high poly that hopefully make it feel more cohesive as an object.

Seeing how almost all pieces are very symmetrical, I tried making the pieces symmetrical as well, to save UV space. That turned out to be a pretty costly idea, since it skyrocketed the tricount. Right now, the tank, with some bits and pieces missing, is sitting at 20,860 tris. The things left to do are the lights, tool box, suspended arms and the baces for the barrel. I still chose to go with copying some parts, rather than integrating them in other objects (such as the wheel nuts).

LightTankUpdate03A.jpg
    LightTankUpdate03B.jpg

Comments and feedback are most welcome.
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been neglecting the tank and thread for quite some time. I'm starting to be happy with the bake results for the normal maps. This is a test bake to see how the normal maps would look.

TankTestbake01.jpg

Also, I've been having some weird issues with the last piece, the suspended swing arms. This is the result I get in normal map. I'd appreciate any insight or help.
    T_Arm_normals.jpg

Thanks for watching.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Glad you're updating this! That mix of organic forms with some angles give a nice contrast. Love the areas around your tread the most!
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

@BelgianBoolean: Thanks!

First of all, thanks to Lamont for helping me sort out through some normal issues.

I baked the normal map for everything, but noticed 2 problems with it: The UVs for the wheel weren't offset properly so I'm getting some transparency due to the alpha on it, and I missed the straps that hold the pickaxe/shovel in place.

I also added a jerrycan and a stand for it on the back, although Marmoset has some issues in displaying it. The Low poly currently clocks in at 22k, so I'll have to do some trimming.

After fixing those errors, it's time to get started on the texture.

LightTankUpdate04a.jpg

LightTankUpdate04b.jpg

Thanks for watching.
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I started work on the texture some time ago. I was hoping to post it sooner, but I had a bit of a hard drive problem. Here's where I am at now. I'm still new to texturing so any feedback is good. Based off of Alec Moody's Bradley tutorial.

LightTankUpdate05a.jpg
    LightTankUpdate05b.jpg

Cheers.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks good i would do the treads with a stencil type alpha shader with holes in the main "top" of the texture and a strip of side profile polys (with baked alpha to give suilohete better shape)

hope that makes sense
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey real nice going so far dude!

I think you've skipped ahead a few steps texturing tho, the metal bodywork needs more defining as a material type before you move onto the small details like dirt.

Great work, keep it up :)
  • Artaani
    Offline / Send Message
    Artaani polycounter lvl 7
    Model is so cool, but I think that textures is not good and spoil it. Actualy I have the same problem. Have nice mode, but when I try to make texture, it looks like crap )
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shep Thanks. It sorta makes sense. I mean what you understand, but I'm trying to imagine how I'd go about making it. I'll look into it. Worst case scenario, I just change the treads to something easier to pull off. The texture for the treads is separate from the rest.

@Mask: Thanks! I put some color variation from rust reference, but I guess it's too subtle. Will make them stronger. As for skipping ahead, I admit. :)

@Artaani: That's why we both need to keep improving our texturing skills. :)
  • Bee-Bee
    This is my first time seeing this thread and I really like what you've pulled off so far. The model and design are pretty tight (I don't mind the lack of protection to the tracks either) so hopefully you can polish the texture enough to enhance what's already there.

Don't be afraid to quickly play around with paint overs and/or material bakes to help you get a better idea of what direction you want to go with the texture if you aren't stuck on this particular palette yet. It might be helpful to focus on how you might want to shift both color and tone before you get too far (ie maybe dirt on the wheels and part of chassis will be lighter in tone and warmer or you could reverse that and use darker tone for wet look).

You mentioned Alec's tutorial and I'm pretty sure he covers the importance of making sure your texture reads properly both up close and further away. I can't stress how important this is! It's easy to fall in love with the details but keep pulling back and making sure your main shapes are still reading properly. Once again, great work and can't wait to see how this bad boy turns out once finished!
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bee-Bee: Thanks a lot. I tried a couple of camo types before arriving to the green monochrome palette. They didn't gel with me well.

I darkened the green, brightened the drips, so hopefully they read better and turned on spec. Hopefully it'll read better now and look more like metal than of felt. The turret is still mainly a solid color.

LightTankUpdate06a.jpg
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on the texture. I started this one from scratch, just to have a clean slate. I've done 2 variations, that are based on the same polypaint result. At the moment, I'm just trying to get the metal looking right. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

LightTankUpdate07c.jpg
  • nyx702
    Really cool man. Love the smooth/round design. I would love to see an entire faction in this style.
  • Angry Beaver
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    Military vehicles use a special type of mat paint to ensure they aren't that shiny that light glinting gives them away. The harder you try to make it look like a generic metal the less its going to look like a military paint job. Also treads usually have large rubber plates if they're not coated in rubber. the solid clean metal doesn't fit so well.

Still excellent work so far, I think I prefer the greener of those two camos :)
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    @nyx702: Thanks! The original idea came from a concept I did for a game that never came to fruition. I liked the silhouette so I just thought I might as well run with it and finish it.

@Angry Beaver: Thanks! That's some good info on the paint. As for the treads, they're a work in progress. I'm going to try doing some changes to the mesh itself, so I'm not doing any work on them. The tanks between WW1 and early WW2, especially light tanks, had treads without any rubber, so I was going for something similar.

Update: Still messing around with the metal material. I want to get this one right before I keep going. I'm still quite new to texturing, so this is a great learning experience. I tried working the look of cast iron in the spec this time. Let me know what you think.

LightTankUpdate08.jpg

Cheers.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    The shapes look really cool but that texture... wait, I just read you're new to texturing ^^. Hope you will improve your skills.

I don't think that a cool design like that should be "wasted" with a boring camo texture. The previous one was better. I'm sure you can find a cool ref for the texture, maybe with some more original colors.

I saw an awesome yellow tank once :

Tank_by_neisbeis.jpg
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    @Texelion: Thanks! Improving is the plan, anyway. By older texture, do you mean the sandy with purple lines around the darker patches of paint? I worked in such a way that I can always revert to it, in case.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I talk about this one :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/565299/Polycount%20Uploads/LightTank/LightTankUpdate06a.jpg

Here you have a start with different colors, green, blue, orange, it cold be cool to continue that way, trying to paint different part whith different colors or shades of the same green.
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    @Texelion: Cheers.

For now, I'm going to take a small break on the tank. And do a couple of 1-2 day props to grind my texturing skills and get a better understanding of how materials behave.
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting this thread back up.

I've been trying out some color schemes and this is one of my favorites. I posted this on G+, and have gotten some feedback for it. I'm still trying some slight things with it, and for that reason there's no spec except on the volute springs. Let me know what you think!

LightTankUpdate09c.jpg
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm posting the best 3 color schemes I have to choose between and get some feedback on them. My favorite is the top one and even got feedback on it, but thought I'd show off 2 others that were better. The blue one was actually inspired by one of Sid Mead's paintings of the hover car from Blade Runner.

tank_color_schemes.jpg
  • nyx702
    Ah that is a tough choice. The green one does look really cool and it's what you would expect.

The cream one is not as conventional but still looks pretty cool. I'd say go with this one because you like it and it's more original.

Definitely need to colorize your AO with the lighter color scheme tho.
  • Lyaksandr
    I'm quite partial to the orange and cream as well. No idea what they would be trying to blend in to, but screw it. It's the future.
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    The blue one actually looks awesome.

Maybe blue and white instead of green? Or red and white.