Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Jeremiah Bigley, Prop/Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
It is finally ready for public I think/hope.
I am currently doing a little bit of freelance, but I am looking for a full time job.

I still want to add some process/breakdown shots on certain pieces...

Would love to know where I could improve. Thanks guys! :)
Rip away!

bigley_website.jpg

Replies

• gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great work and in my view, perfectly presented. I can get to everything quickly and efficiently.

Great job :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Love the bottom navigation thumbnails.

Hate that the content images are wider than the header/footer, and that your logo demands more focus/attention than your actual work.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    This is brilliant. The hover-over wireframes are a great idea and the tabbed texture maps is also great. Your work is also pretty rad. Especially that rat character!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gateian - Thanks man :D

Snader - Dang. It is funny because I actually had them aligned with the header and footer at one point. I made them larger because I felt like 860ish pixels wide was too small for a picture. Might just have to change it back though... Kinda curious how others feel about it too.

nathanbarrett - Awesome man! Glad you like! Can't take credit for the hover wireframes though... I have seen that a million times before me. :/ The tabbed textures kinda boiled out of a conversation with an instructor.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Amazing presentation, nice one man!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man.
    Site is clean and fast however there are few things i noticed:

- it feels like you have too much empty space on your home page and that kind of makes me thing could the thumbs be bigger?
    - that wip occupying the first tab is probably not helping you all that much ?

Besides this it all looks awesome :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice design and presentation.

Not keen on the diagonal chevron stripes and the checkerboard. It seems a bit overly busy. I would pick one and go with it.

Color scheme works well.

The Polycount icon is genius. I might steal that idea if you don't mind.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with you, 860 pixels is somewhat narrow for a 'large' image, and it's not a very useful width either. Especially since there's no real resolution that works on. You have 800x600 and then 1024x768, and 860 would imply a 900 pixel wide screen. The only example I can think of would be a 1600x900 screen turned sideways... and that's not exactly common. So I say, widen the headers.

On the other hand, right now your images are 1000 pixels wide (just checked that) which is just a bit too wide for a 1024 screen, because a scrollbar+window chrome might very well be over 24px. For example my Opera screen currently has a 20px scrollbar and a 35px sidebar, total of 55 pixels - too much to fit your 1000px on a 1024px screen. And even if I were to disable the sidebar, your page would only have 2 px left and right as breathing space - in other words, it'd be cramped as hell.

As such, I'd recommend using 960 pixels, which gives 76 pixels of breathing space - enough for scrollers, sidebar, and some breathing space on the page.

Oh, I just read you're using hover-overs for your images. I suggest using a single image with CSS offsets. This way, you don't have a black screen for a moment while it loads the hover image. Like this, except vertical instead of horizontal. Heck, you could even use this method to have your website name on the image, but not on the page.

EDIT: actually, using that method won't allow you to save the image because it uses a div background. So, nice guy that I am, I made you one that DOES allow people to save the image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/448525/Website_experiments/HoverImage.html

Benefits:
    -no hovering delay
    -slightly smaller filesizes possible (due to palette being loaded only once)
    -only one image request to the servers
    -clean looking website, but website/footer/info on download/save
    -have your cake
    -and eat it too
  • Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work bro, if you are not already in a company you will find work quick :poly142:
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Where are all the tutorials explaining your secrets?! haha Sweet portfolio I think it works well! Ace work too! :D
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    some really fantastic work you've got there. I agree the thumbnails on the homepage could be bigger, and also the 1st thumbnail I clicked was the top left not even noticing it was WIP so I was wondering why is this unfinished while looking at your 1st piece. since we read Top to Bottom and Left to Right, i think the WIP should go to the bottom right of the thumbnails to reduce the chance its the 1st thing someone clicks
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Really great work you've got there. I seriously can't believe no one's hired you yet! For me personally, I liked the layout and was able to look at stuff quickly. Loved the hover tabs that switch to the other textures.

Rat at the end, could be a younger Master Splinter? :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    damn dude you are stepping up the portfolio presentation game! great site and great work. You're bound to land a fulltime gig soon!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    my only crit was not being able to save the wires, but i see that you can as long as you do it off the first page - since clicking for the higher res shots will exclude any chance at seeing/saving wires :(
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Great collection of work, I would say I would rather see the final renders first over seeing the HP/Grey Wireframe images first.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good man!

Yea definitely have the finished image first.

I liked how you had hover overs for a lot of the images, but I didn't realize it off the bat. Most people will discover it, but it might not hurt to say that hovering over shows wireframes or whatever. Some people might miss it.

I especially liked how you show each texture map with tabs..that was pretty neat.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch - Thank you! :)

disanski - Yeah I will take down that nasty wip. Probably stick it in the misc work.

jeffro - I will see if I can't knock back the grid by about 50% and see if that makes it any better. Heh I thought I was being original when I first thought of the polycount thing but since had seen a couple others do it. Go for it!

Snader - I was looking at some statistics on what peoples resolution are while surfing the net and found that only about 1% of people are using 800x600. So that resolution is pretty much dead. It said about 15% of people were using 1024x768. I do think that the pictures could come down a bit. I took my resolution down to that and it was extremely crammed...

As for the rollovers... I am actually not sure the issue you are having. I actually only seem to get the black on the one that you uploaded. I tried it in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome and on my site none of the rollovers do anything until the image has loaded. And that was after clearing my cache in all of them...

Conrad - :D Glad you think so man!

toxic_h2o - Haha! Yeah they will start coming when I get a bit of time. I love doing tuts... And you sir... are killing it. I love your portfolio. I was meaning to go and comment on your thread but hadn't gotten the time. :/ Love the work you have it really makes me want to get into udk more.

coots7 - Yeah that WIP will be taken care of... I feel like an idiot. lol

G3L - Thanks man! :D

ericdigital - Awesome! Yeah the teacher here at this school is really big on presentation... I tried to take it all to heart. "Presentation is 50%"

CandyStripes05 - Hmm.. you should be able to save them from Shadowbox. If you click the pic and the box pops up you can save it from out of it. Just go to the right one. ;) Hope that is not too big of an issue... didn't know how else to do it.

Autocon - Thanks man! Yeah I was trying it the other way... and it seems to flow weird. Final, turn around, textures, highpoly? Instead of Highpoly, Lowpoly, Textures? I will probably end up changing it. lol I appreciate the feedback man. :)

gsokol - Yeah I was debating on the idication... I will see what I can do to get it on there and not be lame with it. :P

Glad you guys like the site and I really appreciate the time you guys took to comment. I will get on these corrections now!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    you should be able to save them from Shadowbox. If you click the pic and the box pops up you can save it from out of it. Just go to the right one. ;) Hope that is not too big of an issue... didn't know how else to do it.

good to know, i just have a habit of opening pics in a new window :P
    always hate it when i click to open in same window, and i have to wait a few seconds to go back and reload the original page i was on before i clicked the pic
  • karthikdevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karthikdevil polycounter lvl 7
    Very inspiring stuff!! Loving the details on the props.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you karthikdevil! :D

Well I made a lot of updates...
    - made images 960 as Snader suggested.
    - put the rollover tags as suggested
    - fixed some other issues
    - crunched all the images down a bit. (Trying to do so without destroying the little details)
    - Moved the WIP to the Misc work.

Couldn't bring myself to change the order on some of the pieces. Just like the flow on them. :/

Still going to add some process on a couple of pieces. How do you guys feel about the Mayan Room being on the front page?

http://jeremiahbigley.com/
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Great looking site! Very nice work too. Love the dungeon env. Feels fesh and new but retro at the same time.

Also.. Gotta ask, how did u get such nice clean stitches on your backpack highrez? Is it sculpted in or a separate piece of geo?
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Like your new logo/avatar too :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :D Sorry it took so long to reply. Doing a number of things.
    Made a small tut to answer your question... Also to put something in my tuts section...

[vv]39130157[/vv]
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I sent out my resume and cover letter to people... (Naughty Dog, Blizzard, and a couple of other local small places.) Nothing yet... Going to keep arting it up and freaking out about rent. lol

Still got some places to send my stuff too.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great! Like your new logo/avatar too :)

Thanks for the tutorials! Very informitive. Good luck on finding a job. I'm sure someone will bite soon. Your work is great.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Great video, good luck on your applications!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    holy crap dude! never knew about that spacing tool. i always used to use path deform which gave some terrible results.. spacing tools look like its 10000 times better!
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    site looks awesome JJ! and love the little tutorial, and all the process shots you added to the site, best of luck on the job search, not that you reallllly need it! XD
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Site layout is perfection, work is killer, you will have many jobs lined up for you :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :D Glad everyone likes it! I just pulled my linkedin together thanks to YBourykina. ;) Had forgotten about it. Had some freelance lined up but after NDA signing things seems to go to a hault. :/

So I am still looking for work. :D
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    HUpp! You got sweet sweet art, but please make the thumbnails alot bigger and drop the grayscale-mouseover thing! : )) I want to see what im about to click on! :) Thats all from me. ^^
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Wow! I didn't know about the spacing tool! Thanks for sharing! For the content, it looks good! I like the presentation too!