Home General Discussion

Tri-ace Inc's physically based rendering

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
this looks awsome, nor sure if its old or not......passed me by quietly if it is

from website - "Video footage Information

The goal of the demo is to "Keep material consistency under indirect illumination using Physically-based Rendering."

Technical facts:

Rendered in real-time on Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3
Runs at 30Hz with 720p and is directly captured from the video output on the devkit
Real-time lighting and shadowing used (no baked light maps)
Key features are physically-based shading models, physically-based lighting and image-based global illumination"

website here

technical details of the engine here

personally i want to see it without it being colour graded to shit, but appart from some AA issues on highly reflective sharpe edges (what games dont have these) it looks bloddy amazing... esp the physically based lens affects which i had seen befor but had been told were too expensive for this gen.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0&feature=player_embedded"]tri-Ace Technical Demo Trailer 2011 "Physically-based Rendering version 0.1" - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    What, no dynamic tessellation? Ok, just kidding, this looks awesome :) Thanks for the heads up.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    should have done a search on polycount theres already a thread about it and yes it is old...oops...i just got linked the gdc 2012 papers today so thought it was new
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Old news is old, we already had a thread about this, and many of use doubted it was possible until we got the papers linked.

As for the video itself...Well, yeah, half of that stuff is basically impossible on a GAME with more interactive gameplay, you could make the same argument about Heavy Rain in this case since both are aiming small spaced, tightly controlled art direction and views without certain elements being calculated.

It looks nice, it runs nicely, and it's a look on things that could be, but it will be all for naught if your game doesn't run properly and the people playing your game are constantly missing the enemies at 2FPS.

I don't know, but I think the current gen hardware is already stressed out as it is, we still get dips and clips in a plethora of games which claim to be using only 70% of whatever power is available while still pulling off every trick in the book, I wouldn't be surprised if in this tech-demo, they flushed the memory after every scene to load new shader/textures, etc...