Angels-1.png

*3/15*
DS2_DemonicAxes.png

*Further Iteration*
Axes_Three.png

*Original Post*
DS2_Concepts_Demonic.png

DS2_Concepts_Angelic.png

Back from GDC, gotta catch up. Any feedback so far would be great, going to do some more concepts today and start building tonight/tomorrow.

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    DS2_HammerAxeMace.png

Did some silo studies to see what kind of forms I could create, most of my designs seem to lean towards KOD or Demonic by default, although there are a few I could see as Angelic/Maker.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Hey man, good start so far. The one that stood out to me the most was 3rd row, second one in. It's got a very nice balance that lends itself well to the game's style. I say take that one and do some iterations.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I think the 2nd and 5th on the 3rd row really stick out well. The 2nd one you could go about anywhere with but I feel like the 5th would make a pretty nice forged weapon. :D
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, good to get some feedback.

@ Max, yea, I liked the shape of that one too, but as soon as I drew it, I felt like it was really similar to yours, hahaha. Might try and make it angelic instead to stray away from yours.
    @ Jake, yea, I can see the 5th one being a maker mace pretty easily.

Not a fan of the axes? Haha, I liked those a lot. I'll post iterations on 2 & 5 two tomorrow when I get to work.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DemonicMace.png

Updates on mace #2, gonna do mace #5 over lunch and then some more silo studies to see if there's anything left inside.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the first post with the most recent axes.

Axes_Three.png

Developing axes 1, 5, 6 from that sheet, going to explore the maces one more time then I'll pick which one I feel stronger about.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Hrm, with all of the most recent sketches, they all seem to have this "stick, blade, stick, blade" kind of pattern. What I mean is that the structural elements are clear, but it doesn't really seem like there's anything tying them together as far as theme goes.

I don't know if you're quite nailing the "chunkiness" of the style just yet. Everything still seems rather skinny and frail. I guess I'm saying beef up those silhouettes.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChunkyAxes.png

Added some weight and changed some things about some of my favorites from the last upload.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axes_Larger.png

Mace.png

Few more edits. Had to re-think what Bobo said in the livestream about larger shapes so I revisited an axe and silo'd a new one. Also did some work on the mace, a few of my friends said they like it's look and shape a lot.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a fan on the one with the wings. I think that could be a really bad ass weapon of killing and death.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DS2_DemonicAxes.png

One more pass, came up with a few that I really like, so it looks like I'm going to be making a Demonic Axe. I'll flush a few out tonight during the Vigil livestream and make the basemesh/start sculpting tomorrow.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    You've got some cool sketches here, Sean. What I would do would be to pick out a few of these pieces and add more details to them. The silhouettes look good at the moment but you need something more to go with it.
    My personal favorite is the one in the top right corner in your latest sketch. You could have one of those faces smiling and the other one frowning or something.
    Good luck!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KOTD.png

Demonic.png

Angels-1.png

That livestream by Avery last night really helped me out a lot to get closer to the DS style. Definitely recommend watching if you didn't. Took some old silos and flushed them out a bit more. Not much time left, not going to rush though: if I don't meet the deadline at least I'll have a new portfolio piece.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah the Angelic looking axe is elegant although I gotta say that expressionless face creeps me out :D

The very first axe just looks like any old generic axe but with skulls thrown all over it. But I quite like the middle one with the three skulls at the bottom, it's a unique shape compared to all the other axes.

Are you intending to make one from each pic or just one overall? Either way I'd say...your Angelic piece is the strongest but you need to flesh it out more. Maybe a nice pattern on the handle or something.

Anyway time is ticking, good luck :>
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! Hmm, I might change the shape (but like you said, time is ticking, haha).

Yea, the expressionless face seems to be trademark and it works for the angelic style I think. I might make her angry, we'll see. Any thoughts on the demonic axes?

And yea, definitely need to flush out more, I just prefer 3D and texturing more than the concept phase.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the shape just a bit: KOTD2.png
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah me too. I did a 5 minute sketch and went straight into 3D and never looked back ;)

I left out the demonic weapons because well I felt they look like every other entry on this website. You should really break away from the Demonic crowd cause it's too crowded. But if you must know the one on the right is the easiest to read and looks big enough to slice some demons.

Back to Angelic look at this pic with his knees and try to make the face a little more like that.

http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Darksiders-2-screenshot-3.jpg

Another trademark for Angelic seems to be gold with white and covered in gems so if you're going with this I'd incorporate that sort of stuff.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely incorporate the feedback into the angelic weapon if I go in that direction. I'm leaning towards the lower right one, what do you think?

Even after the contest, I'll probably take a few from these sheet and make a weapon set for my portfolio.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *3D updates in 1st post*

Angelic_FC.png

Going with the angelic axe: since it's all hard surface I can finish it much faster than a ZBrush sculpt with say, the KOTD axe. Probably going to do it after the comp though, I really like how it came out.

KOTD_FC.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Definitely digging that angelic axe. Smooth design with that face in the center. It might look nice to have two or three of those scrolls/locks of hair on either side of the face as apposed to just one on either side. But that's your call, it looks good as it. Can't wait to see it finished.