Home General Discussion

Interview for Environment Artist

Hi, guys,

I just got an interview for the role of environment artist. This is going to be my 1st interview for the game industry. Honestly, I am dying for this job. I have being doing job hunting for months now, and this is the cloest I got so far.
Oddly, they didn't ask for an art test.

So, PLEASE, I need all the help I can get. How to best prepare for the interview? apart from the general company/people search, and looking into their games. What sort of questions should I expect?

many thanks

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Read their website, their profile, what kind of games they make, what your role would be, what kind of company they are. Write in a block of paper some questions for them. ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS! You gotta show interest. oh... and think before you answer a question.

Keep it cool, and always answer to something you have done or are doing.

Best of luck man!

can you say which company you are interviewing with?
  • haba_haba
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Remember in an interview you should be asking just as many questions, you should be interested in the company, what they do and how they work. You want to make they feel like you would be a perfect fir for the team.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ask them how a typical day would be for you. What you would be working on when you'd get the job. To whom you would report, and so on. What software they use, how reviews work, how they handle crunch, etc. As Env guy, how much time will you spend in e.g. Maya vs. their World Editor. Is it just modeling you'll be doing or also world building, lighting, etc?

Remember, you should be interviewing them as much as they interview you - finding the right job requires both parties to fit together. Everything else will result in unhappiness very quickly.

I'm always surprised if people have no interested in interviews about how they job will actually unfold once they arrive in the morning and sit down at the desk... or maybe I just think about this more now that I'm on the opposite side of the interview table :)

Questions you can expect (except the obvious about moneyz_... probably depends on the studio. Sometimes people don't care at all about your art if the folio is good. But in general be prepared to talk about your folio - how you approached modeling, what difficulties you encountered, how you did certain things, how long it took you, etc.
    Some questions also spawn from questions you're asking. Keep in mind, a good interview runs more like a good conversation rather than an interrogation where only 1 side asks the questions ;)
  • aminos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys, these information are very helpful.
    I thought just to share with other people, LinkedIn is actually very good at finding out who actually works there. I personally find people in Games industry tend to be very resourceful and easily approachable. I have made some very good friends purely via email, and ask about their personal interview experiences, and tips.

Also, I went for an networking event and talked to some recruiters, who also offered some very good information regarding the company I am going for, like some games have been cancelled before, that why the company changed their direction... as such.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Know yourself, your process and why they should hire you. It's easy to get nervous, but just realize that the person(s) interviewing you has most likely already seen your work and just wants to get some face time and gauge how it might be to work with you. Be prepared for anything and good luck! :)
  • brandoom