Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, Coridium

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Coridium polycounter lvl 15
Hi all,

Its been awesome watching this competition develop, there are some beautiful pieces of work being shown with some really interesting designs. Anyway, all the work so far has inspired me to give it a go.

I initially worked on a quick angelic concept, but put that on hold for now and decided to try a maker themed concept.

makerhammerpostchrisbro.jpg

I think that it still need a good bit of work, the proportions are not quite right and the pommel is not how it will end up being, but any comments or crits would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks
Chris

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It's a really well thought out and nicely presented design. When I look at it I immediately know it's a Maker weapon.

If there's one negative I have it's that it doesn't have a great deal of unique'ness to it. As you probably know there's already a block hammer. You can go along with it but you have to consider the judges thoughts when they compare it to the other top tier entries.

Good luck mate.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey Chris! I like the design, it's nice to see something from the maker theme. Not enough maker and crow temple in the competition for my liking :P

How about getting some more size and counter-weight into the pommel?

Anyway good luck, I'm sure you'll blow us away on the sculpting stage.
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very elaborate and technical design. Good for modelling :) My only concern would be the leather straps, wouldn't they wear our very fast?
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Thanks for the comments and crits much appreciated...

habboi: yeah that thought crossed my mind too, I really wanted to keep it quite clean with elements of "blank" space but yeah it definitely lacked a focal point, I have tried to address in the updated concept, but might not quite work yet.

MathewO: Thanks for the comment! I have increased the size of the pommel in the newer design and changed its shape, still a bit lite looking at the mo though.

Marysafro: You are right about the straps, thought about that when I drew them, but a part of the concept that you could not see on the top of the rock helps explain why they might last a bit longer. In the end decided that I liked them and hope that a bit of creative license will win over a more feasible approach. :)

Here is the updated concept...

makerhammerpost2chrisbr.jpg

(never put the notes on this one, but most of the notes on the first concept are still applicable.)

Thanks for the C&C.

Chris
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    I love this man, I hope you win.
  • RoadKill2222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool dude. love the addition circular maker's motif. well done
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin solid. Looking forward seeing the model.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    For me the drawing looks crazy like actual ink render of a model :) Well done!
    As for a design I don't buy those longer leather straps, they would have been cut of during first contact with any sharp surface. Although I like those shorter ones on side. You said that you like those straps, however maybe chains would be more suitable (I would even recommend removing theme completely :p)?
    Anyways looking forward for seeing more :)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it! Just make your details a bit chunkier.

- BoBo
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

A-Train : lol, thanks.

RoadKill2222 : cheers mate, have made it a bit bigger after bobo's feedback.

AimBiZ : thanks, Model is not very good at the mo, but hopefully I will get more time to spend on it and sort it out.

Konras : Thanks for the comment/suggestion, I originally thought about chains but I decided against it as they would need loads of polys to make them look good and I liked the straps, but there is still time to remove them if they dont work.

Bobo : Thanks for taking the time to comment, I have tried to increase the size of the main details, I have made the arches under the stone, fatter and larger, increased the size of the circular motif, larger straps (they could do with being even fatter than they are now.) increased the size of the pommel. I would like to add in some darksiders hyroglifics/patterns on the metal and hyroglifics on the stone. Oh also changed the over size a bit as it did not match the primitive, does now though. :\

So I thought that I would post an image of the model WIP, I have not really had much time to work on this. Currently not happy with it at all!! The materials need better definition and separation, the details are too small and don't gel with each other, the straps are too thin, some of the marking/damage does not fit the darksiders style, etc but thought that I should post anyway...

makerhammerpost3chrisbr.jpg

Cheers
    Chris
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    @Coridium:

That's looking really solid. A nice mean block that looks like it could do a lot of damage in one hit. I'd suggest doubling the thickness of the brace that the straps connect to down on the haft. It feels a little weak at the moment.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striker, Bobo : thanks very much!

Stinkhorse: thanks, yeah I totally agree. It was something that I had down to fix, hope that it look better in the latest version (its almost twice as thick)

So I hope this will be it for the high poly, will low poly and bake next, if work does not get in the way. :)

I have updated a lot of the damage, increased thicknesses of a few things, like the straps and some metal parts. I added simple patterns to the metal sections and I have added ruins (hope that they are darksiders enough, I created the characters using other darksiders concept art images as ref.) I have created a series of zbrush brushes for them, so if the rules allow I am more than happy to share them on Polycount if anyone's interested? (They are very rough around the edges though as they where done in a massive hurry.:\)

Anyway here goes.
    makerhammerpost4chrisbr.jpg

Cheers
    Chris
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    That is seriously damn nice!! More please!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Wasn't sure about this at first but seeing it in 3d you pulled it off quite nicely!
  • RogerRoger
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    http://upload.habboi.co.uk/Rune_Style.jpg

You should make them Maker style in my opinion and good job.
  • RoadKill2222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love this hammer dude. But just to give my two cents, I worry that it looks too realistic and doesn't really look like a stylized drawing (again not to take away from your technical skill because it looks crazy good) but maybe find a way to give it more of a comic book flair, and also Habboi is actually correct, the runes you used are more for generic usage. The makers have their own set of runes.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looking very solid now. Keep it up!