Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, TrevorJ

TrevorJ
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
Been sitting on this, man there are a scary amount of awesome entries.
Still trying to reach the over the top aspects of DS artstyle. pommel and shaft not done.

AngelicAxe.jpg

Replies

• TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to move on to blocking, no damage rendered in this, not sure how far to take the damage on the angelic theme, looking at other entries it doesn't look like it has as much nicks/scratches as the other themes.

Colour pallet is too desaturated as well right now.

AngelicAxeFinal.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty sure the scarab is going to be outside the art style.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. starting blocking it out in 3d, wasn't really happy with the head shapes. Happier with this version in 3d(no pic yet).

Still thinking about the pommel and handle shaft, like pseudo said I don't think the scarab was fitting into the art style very well.

AngelicAxeFinal02.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Magneto? Is that you? =]

Last one is my fave
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, need some help, captain indecisive is making an appearance, can't decide on these blade shapes. Still working on pommel and hilt, hoping to get it into zbrush today and start on all the detailing on the helmet etc.

Leaning towards 1 or 2.
    I'm open to any and all suggestions.

3ChoicesSilhouettes.jpg

3ChoicesShaded.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    1 looks like an axe and 2 reads more like those maces in the Elder Scroll games. Also the curve on 1 suggests it'd really slice someone hard but the pointy bit at the bottom of 2 would get stuck in bone.

Visually however, 2 looks better so I suggest...combining them. Give it a curve shape but give it more randomness that 2 has. Why not overlap them in Photoshop and see what cool shape you get?
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, got it into zbrush, first try at detailing some parts of it, just on the hilt and helmet. Some of the edges are still kinda blobby.

Took Habbois advice and tried combining some of the blade shapes from 1 and 2, this is just blade 1 right now, though I still might switch.

Oh yeah, please forgive the black background, i know, first rule of presentation, no black bg.

Zbrush_WIP.jpg
  • Miodnre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think blades can be enlarged and the handle need more details. I like the main part, look very angelic.
  • jackrabbit82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackrabbit82 polycounter lvl 6
    really nice progress! And really nice hardsurface sculpting skills ! :) Keep it up !
  • Suspekt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming out really well! I agree the handle could use some love though.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    That's really nice!
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Ohh the twisty handle is a nice touch! Maybe a little something in the center to break it up?
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok pretty much done the highpoly, other than some nicks and scratches. Might end up retopoing the blade, the inside edges are kind of blobby and im having trouble fixing that in zbrush with limited experience with the new planar brushes.

Added something in the centre of the handle per Stinkhorses suggestion I think it was a good decision. Onto the lowpoly, I need to giddy'up.

AngelicHighpoly.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I'm getting a strong Art Deco vibe from this. You may want to play that up a bit by making the face planes more harsh with sharper transitions.

Bringing that diamond shaped element into the middle of the handle has really helped, but I wish you had continued with one of your other concepts for the bottom part. Right now the end cap it looking pretty plain in comparison to the rest of the details.

Keep up the good work!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback darbeenbo, I agree with the pommel, i was having a hard time coming up with something, this choice was the fallback.

Here's some shots in UDK. Hoping to get some crits on the colours/textures. Im pretty happy with how its coming out, but im not sure if its close enough to DS colors/tones etc.

AngelicAxe_FirstPassTexture.jpg