Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, Autocon

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
Figured this would be a fun thing to do and a good chance to relearn zbrush and try out handpainting :)

LATEST:

ds2conceptdemonic067.jpg

Angelic Axe concept

ds2conceptv3.jpg

Replies

• Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd try and stay away from the cliche Statue with wings for blades, its a recurring theme it seems. No doubt the concept looks awesome, but if you're looking originality you might have to change it.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Fuck yea autocon is in! Can't wait to see this!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually doing the cliche statue with blade wings was a huge selling point for me on this one, always wanted to do that ha :) Plus I am almost certain I am not allowed to win, nor would I with all the amazing concepts I have seen before so its more of something just fun for me and to learn zbrush/hand painting. But thanks for the thoughts, as they are true about it being cliche.

Final concept so I have a better feeling for where this is going. I am no concept artist and trying to concept up cool shit is my least favorite thing to do, so onto modeling my blank!

ds2concept05.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the blade of this guy, it was feeling too weak and not tink/chunky enough. Think it fits better with the style now then before.

ds2concept06.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice & clean concept. Color scheme wise, I like the one on the left more, it's much stronger visually and has a nice pop to it.

I feel the jewel on the handle is a bit out of place. You have smaller ones on the top of the axe, and then the large one on the handle (where Death might grip it/cover it up). Maybe moving it to the bottom piece or the part under the blade?
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    the new one is looking better but in terms of shape/details I read it as a butterfly, which is not related to the darksiders world. Maybe you should play with those white line as feathers + jaggy silhouette
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point Orb, someone else mentioned they were looking kinda butterfly like. And the white lines were suppose to be the feathers of the wings but taht never really came across :poly122: Reworked things to make them more flowing angle wing like, god I loath concepting haha

ds2concept15.jpg
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    I like it even though the wings never came across in the previous drawing, I like it better than your current version of the wings. Despite the butterfly comment I really like the overall shape too!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just messing around with a demonic theme. Hmmmm. Couldnt figure out how to "render" the look of her arms like being absorbed by the blade but I know exactly how to do it in 3d.

ds2conceptdemonic04.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Gruesome. I like it. Go for it.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok going with the demonic ones because it seems like it will be more fun. My buddy Wes told me the girl was too passive/not aggressive enough and suggested to make it a demon chick which I think works alot better. Time to make the blank!

ds2conceptdemonic067.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I think that'd be too vulgar for the game style. Also Bobo mentioned that in the Q&A thread I think.

Personally I think the latest angelic axe design is the strongest, however it would need a bigger centerpiece to look less fragile. Perhaps have an angel bust or something.
    Or heck, maybe make a demonic variety of it with bat wings and a succubus.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I saw the thing in the QA about I believe Frump asking about doing a naked bust and bobo mentioned that although M rated, no nudity, he mentioned scales to cover her up, so i plan to have her cover up quite well, but I do see what you mean.

As for the angelic axe, idk just never felt any of the designs were "cool" enough, they just seem to basic and I wasnt having any luck with redesigns to make them more "bad ass".
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both of the most recent concepts look good to me. I'd say just pick one and run with it. Less than a week left!