Home Technical Talk

Using Zbrush for the first time

As the title says I am using Zbrush for the first time, I am currently working on a level for a scifi horror game, link to preview here LINK

And i would like to use Zbrush to really help me make some nice high poly assests for low poly baking.

I was wondering if you guys have any advice or tutorials that you could share that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JR
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In the installation there is a documentation folder that includes a getting started guide; I think it would be well worth spending the time to give it a read. The sooner you can get an understanding of how zbrush works differently than standard 3d programs, the quicker things click.

To over simplify it; it's a lot like opening a 3d model in photoshop. You have your 2d document made out of pixels (you can zoom in and see them), and a 3d model sort of floating out in front. There's no real camera, you're essentially just changing how the model currently looks in front of the 2d document. The common begginer's mistake is saving the document instead of saving the actual model/sculpt (the models are called Tools, and can be saved under the Tool menu).

Their site used to have quite a few good training videos as well. They recently changed the layout of the classrooom so I'm not sure where the bulk of the videos went, but I'm sure they're still there somewhere : /
  • Jhill8
    Thanks guys i looked on there video tutorial and they are really advanced, i would really only see my self as a beginner/ intermediate. but i will read that getting started guide!
  • dreatern
    Offline / Send Message
    dreatern polycounter lvl 6
    Search on YouTube, there are a lot of bigginers videos explaining everything. My advice is: The first thing you need learn is the interface that can be alien at start :D after that you will feel more confortable using zbrush. The documentation and zclassroom wil also help a lot. And like cryrid said, don't look at it like a 3D modeling software like blender, 3ds max, maya....
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    jramauri wrote: »

as a zBrush newbie, I didn't find these video's helpful at all. If anything, it was just confusing me more.

I recommend watching a few videos of people making things in zbrush and spend time playing around with brushes. Just remember that you probably want to do most of your work in 'edit' mode, and that the model you are working on is called a tool. When you save your projects, make sure to save the tool! Check out bobo's video at http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights and if you see someone using a brush you like, give it a google and see what turns up.

gl!
  • MadnessImport
    This guy who goes by cannedmushrooms has Put together a bunch of learning material to teach Zbrush on youtube
    Zbrush 4 Intro Series
    Zbrush 4 Modeling