Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First character model

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Joltya polycounter lvl 10
I've only been using 3DS Max for a couple of months now, and I've mostly been doing subdivision modeling. I got too frustrated with one of my assignments today, so I decided to make a knight. I don't know how to do unwraps or any fancy texture stuff yet, so I just put a stock material on it.

Critique me!

presentation.jpg

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Both, model and concet are too simple to deserve crits. Tell us what's the goal here, whats your intention in sytle, or use of this model, what exactly you want to improve.

Then maybe we can suggest something.
  • vreza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vreza polycounter lvl 12
    i think it would be a good practice from the start to try to create characters in a single mesh. pay attention to the neck and shoulder and groin, attach the limbs and head to the body. u can use ur SubD knowledge to the use.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    You need a more developed concept, or you aren't going to be able to take it much further beyond what you have here.

Your profile is much too straight. You need some curve in that spine! http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenm1/4299890396/in/photostream/

Turn off smooth shading while you model- Switch to Faceted view so you can see everything better.

Last and most importantly, model in 3d! What I mean is, don't get stuck modeling from front and side views only. You need to be checking how your model looks in 3 quarters also.