Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Octopus Apartment

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cruckz polycounter lvl 12
Hey Polycount posting my final year project. What I intend to do is to create a piece of environment art that has life in it, not just another Sci Fi hallway, I want a player to walk into the apartment and know what kind of person lives there before they have had chance to see them. I have taken some concept art from Crysis 2 which will highly influence the scene, I will also add to and change things to my liking as I want some creative freedom.

These are the concept and the environment from Crysis 2
gould-living-room.jpg

This is My scene with my own spin on it.

Fog_in_tank_andWindows.png

wip4-1.png

This was my first attempt at cloth sculpting.

tablecloth.png

2nd attempt

tablecloth2.png
cloth2.png

Cloth for the Queen Anne seat. I also tried to give the chair a bit more character with the tears in the cloth.

queenanne3_zb.png
queenanne3.png

I then sculpted a Cardboard box, a bit over the top but it was a good exercise and i wanted it too look quality. The in game shots don't do em justice i'll get another shot next update :)

boxzb.png
box2.png

Created an oak coffee table. Not sure if I should add inset marble to the top of it.

table_without_detail.png

prop sheets

props.jpg
props2.jpg

I have started the outside vista but it will take me a while to finish so I'll wait until I'v got something worth showing. I'v also been fixing general problems that have been buging me.

Apologies for the picture barrage, hope you enjoy :)

Replies

• Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man its good to see your stuff up here :) I was gonna post mine but i closed the browser :/ oops!
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Haha Quality, computer = Smell :D
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man I was checking your work again, and I have noticed a few features of the concept that composition wise would really boost your scene...

So this is the concept:
    gould-living-room.jpg
    Here is a quick paintover:
    23mk7kh.jpg
    And your most up to date:
    Fog_in_tank_andWindows.png

Ignoring the obvious color issues with my shot, I pretty much used levels fast and extensively... But in the concept you can see an almost contrast between the warm light of the window and the warm red bounce of the wallpaper against the cold green/blue of the tanks and screens...

Also your scene is a tad to saturated in comparision to the concept it matches pretty well but to the player perspective and againest the fine art style of the concept the udk saturation has whited out the scene a bit instead....

Another point would be the soft edition of volumetric lighting, I could point you here for some reference: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VolumetricLightbeamTutorial.html This coming in through the skylights and suggestive in the windows, like you can see in the paintover pops the piece a bit cause the windows and its light seems flat at the minute.... Plus you could use some dust particles or in the volumetric light shader to create a nice effect if it suits...

:thumbup::thumbup:
  • Cruckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update of my environment props
    print1.png
    propsheet1.png
    TopoGunbinbag.png
    propsheet2.png

thanks Prtofdacrowd I'm working on the lighting now :)
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    was gonna say the lighting needed work but your latest screenshot looks like your working on it. Nice job though! Definitely included some good details.
  • Cruckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene is as finished as it's going to get, I'd love to keep adding too it but I need to move on and start a new scene. So here's a barage of images of my scene, I really hope you enjoy!:D

WIP13.jpg
    windows.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00015.jpg
    WIP14.jpg

Different Ideas for lighting
    Lighttests.jpg

Give me your thoughts :)
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the two on the left (I take it this is Cryengine 3?) I think the warm kind of over saturates the colours maybe slightly too much, if you could get a balance between the two that'd look great.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice.

I really feel like your losing the focal point of the room. The octopus tanks are the most unique thing about the room but they blend in way too much. I think they would pop more, and the room would look more interesting if you pumped the light from the tanks. Take a look at some saltwater aquariums and see how they really glow a nice flourescent blue. The concept has them glowing green and blue and it balances out the light coming in from the window to make a more balanced composition and your missing that a little bit.

Also, might just be me, but maybe you could use a little bit of spec/gloss on the wood floor, right now it reads like untreated lumber, but even though the floor is old and worn down, there would still be some traces of a wood finish on top.

In the concept, the sump tank for the octopus aquarium in the center is busted, and it looks like theres a puddle of water on the floor there..that might be a neat little detail to add as well.

Overall, I think your props are coming out pretty decent by themselves, but the whole environment could use a little bit of work in terms of lighting and composition to kinda tie everything together a little better.

Keep it up!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Really love the outcome man!

As for lighting look at your colour studies above. The main thing that really stands out is that line created by the camera angle. The way the light from the window just falls before the table creating this line through your piece. This is also backed up by the support beam on the roof. I'd lower the light so it falls over the table top and books.

Now did that make sense? Because my thoughts are fighting the TV while I'm writing this. lol
  • Cruckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dis$aray yeah I understand what you mean about the split in the lighting, but because this is a university project I am out of time to change the scene as I am now bogged down in writing reports about it :(

Created a video to show off the scene theres a annoying frame at the start that still needs editing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elJAtgmTXtA

Hope you enjoy :)