Home General Discussion

Steam Console...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
Well, as a massive PC gamer I feel the console generation has being holding us back for to long. I put together a quick concept from the recent news of a possible Steam console. I hope PC gamers might find it interesting, not only could it add more flexibility but also might help expand the PC platform and draw more exclusive games.

Best of all, no expensive or duplicate hardware!

http://www.ichii3d.com/random/SteamPresentation.ppt

SteamBox_Untitled-1.jpg

SteamBox_Untitled-2.jpg

SteamBox_Untitled-3.jpg

If you like the concept, make yourself heard! The PC master race will rule once more!

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    to be honest im a pc gamer but the thought of pc gaming doesnt feel "official" for me. When I hear "for pc" I think of roller coaster tycoon, the sims and all that garbage. Consoles seemed like they were serious gaming machines back when I played them hardcore.

The mindset of console players is "controllers are way better, I dont have a good computer, no"

The lowest common denominator is pretty bad but if you look at it differently, pc gamers just buy better stuff too soon.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I just read about the Steam Box a few minutes ago. I wonder if it will be orange...

I think the main benefit about it is because it will probably be cheaper than the competition while still being quite powerful. I don't think it will be a market changer though, especially with the current disuptes between valve-steam and EA, which could drastically reduce its game range.

EDIT: Oh and heres where I read about it Steam Box
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is all about creating a standard that is meant for pc companies to build "steam-verified" computers from, as to give people who are not into pc gaming a reason to now have to worry about what they need to run games.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I read this earlier which is what sparked me to write something up. I think the concept of PC hardware will fail, the idea of having to buy another PC just to play games on your TV when wireless graphics cards are already pretty dam good. The only problem is if you could somehow take the wireless aspect of the 460 graphics card and incorporate it into a wireless sender and receiver. Much like the Wii U controller.

The idea that your PC essentially becomes the slave, the concept of having a server per home which then powers everything is pretty powerful when wireless technology starts to expand.
    eld wrote: »
    I think this is all about creating a standard that is meant for pc companies to build "steam-verified" computers from, as to give people who are not into pc gaming a reason to now have to worry about what they need to run games.

Although this is a pretty good idea, a certification for system recommendations? Kind of like the Forza car class system?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mindset of console players is "controllers are way better, I dont have a good computer, no"
    What makes you say this? Most console gamers I know are in it for the stability (games "just work"), sitting on the couch (you CAN do this with a PC but the vast majority of people won't set that up), and dead easy connectivity with friends (XBox Live makes it SUPER simple). It has nothing to do with not having a good PC or loving controllers.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam Box will fall just like OnLive Did

Maybe not

Not
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    except OnLive never 'fell'. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're doing OK, and will probably continue to gain steam as technology progresses. As for the steam box, I'd bite, depending on the price. It's basically buying a gaming pc..
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know

It seemed pretty useless to me even though i still want one
    All my friends who did buy it let theres collect dust in the closet or basement yet still try to sell it to me
    Its like giving isn't an option even though were friends...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure why I would need one, but I guess they've thought of that and have a good answer :P
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    I don't understand why they would want to make a console. When in some interview they started talking about making hardware i though it was about one of those PCs that come with everything inside, like dell etc, but instead you would have a low range, mid range and high range steam computers.

Why would I want a steam console, really? I already has an PS3 and only use it for the exclusive titles.
    I would like some way of playing my steam games on my TV, over wifi... Isn't that the Steam Big screen mode they were going to show sometime soon?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Is there a text summary for your Powerpoint presentation? I don't have any software with which to view it :(
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    When I thought Gabe was talking about selling hardware I assumed peripherals such as the Novint Falcon

Where did this console rumor orignate from?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    What makes you say this? Most console gamers I know are in it for the stability (games "just work"), sitting on the couch (you CAN do this with a PC but the vast majority of people won't set that up), and dead easy connectivity with friends (XBox Live makes it SUPER simple). It has nothing to do with not having a good PC or loving controllers.
    all my friends either only have a weak laptop or family computer and they cant play with a mouse/wasd believe it or not (well they think they cant)
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I think this is a great idea! I'd love to kick ass in TF2 on my 42in TV :):):)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JostVice wrote: »
    I don't understand why they would want to make a console. When in some interview they started talking about making hardware i though it was about one of those PCs that come with everything inside, like dell etc, but instead you would have a low range, mid range and high range steam computers.

Why would I want a steam console, really? I already has an PS3 and only use it for the exclusive titles.
    I would like some way of playing my steam games on my TV, over wifi... Isn't that the Steam Big screen mode they were going to show sometime soon?

Because one of these "oh I'd like to play some pc games but I dont understand pc requireents", they'd just go to the steam page for skyrim for example and see "runs very well on medium-range steam pc"
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glynnsmith I updated the page with images instead of a Powerpoint. Although its only my personal views on what I hope the SteamBox is.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would great if we could use it as a PC too, ie install program's on it, cause the specs sound half decent.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    It would great if we could use it as a PC too, ie install program's on it, cause the specs sound half decent.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be, it will without doubt be a windows-based pc, as the vast majority of games on steam requires windows.

That and valve would have nothing to gain from a closed platform, they want more console gamers to start using steam, that is what this is all about.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    So all of this came from The Verge right? They have an "exclusive" rumour. http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console

Also The PA Report had a pretty decent interview with Gabe not long ago, hardware was mentioned:
    Now do you see a future where Valve is actually selling hardware or do you just want to have things that could take advantage of that technology should it be popular?

Well, if we have to sell hardware we will. We have no reason to believe we’re any good at it, it’s more we think that we need to continue to have innovation and if the only way to get these kind of projects started is by us going and developing and selling the hardware directly then that’s what we’ll do. It’s definitely not the first thought that crosses our mind; we’d rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do that. We think it’s important enough that if that’s what we end up having to do then that’s what we end up having to do.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/valves-gabe-newell-talks-wearable-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    IchII3D wrote: »
    ...I feel the console generation has being holding us back for to long....

Huh ?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Fuse wrote: »
    Huh ?

Let me rephrase that for him in a more diplomatic matter:

Games have been held back technically since the consoles became dominant, not speaking of artistic quality that is.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Could just be a gaming pc in steam branding, like alienware, I suppose that might get some support. Cant believe they have the power to create a console and I dont see how wireless tvout/slave pcs would catch on as all the usual pc hardware issues still apply.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    You guys think its going to be something like a Roku player? Because I love that thing. A roku player with usb's for controllers that lets me access steam? Instabuy.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    bounchfx wrote: »
    ...and will probably continue to gain steam...

Hey-o!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    People who use "PC Master Race" unironically and to refer to themselves are pretty terrible, hope this helps
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Unless it's short for polycount master race, at which point it'd be entirely appropriate.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabeCube = all my monies!
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    I don't get it, the article basically makes is sounds like valve is selling a 'gaming pc'.

The only real benefit here is that you have a standardized format for developer to work from, but that seems like it would kill real PC development completely.

I'd rather not see one more monopolization, thanks anyway valve...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    People who use "PC Master Race" unironically and to refer to themselves are pretty terrible, hope this helps

Only hipsters do it ironically!

proud pc aryan!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I love to pc game because of the controls. I prefer mouse and keyboard. It has nothing to do with WHAT games im playing. Though, I tend to play the games that mouse and keyboard are way better. Such as starcraft 2 or diablo. Dungeon defenders. or really, any RTS.

You need an annoying setup to be able to play true PC games on a couch. And when I say true pc games. I mean the ones that are designed for mouse and keyboard. I know PLENTY of people will say TF2 is a true pc game, but really. its a FPS, and FPS games can easily be played on a console. TF2 could be transferred to console. Yes, Ill admit, I played the hell outta halflife 1 on pc. And i find FPS easier to play with mouse and keyboard. But playing on a couch like that isnt very comfortable. To me, the genres that havent been transferred to consoles, or havent been transferred very well are the true PC games that require good controls with the M&K. RTS. god games.

*Shrug* personally. i think steam should focus on fixing its servers first. Steam constantly goes down. CONSTANTLY. pretty much every day. Its usually only for a few seconds to a couple minutes. But its still annoying. Especially when playing games that kick you out once steam goes offline. And that right there is my main issue with cloud gaming. but thats a different topic all together.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Driving games suck on mouse/keyboard, same with fighting games, there's pros and cons to both setups.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    the article really makes it sound like its a console.

Expecting the steambox to simply be a sort of NAS or network hub to centralize steam throughout the house so you can play all the steam games on the tv, is imo, a much cooler idea.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    But who the hell wants a console when we have pcs like the alienware x51?¿

http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009238/20120222061/

039.jpg

If they do something, they should do things like this, and nothing more. And of course with better hardware specs for gamers!
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Blaizer wrote: »
    But who the hell wants a console when we have pcs like the alienware x51?¿

http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009238/20120222061/

039.jpg

If they do something, they should do things like this, and nothing more. And of course with better hardware specs for gamers!

For people not fluent in Japanese, what's it about? Just an alienware pc with a "cool" case?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Noodle! wrote: »
    For people not fluent in Japanese, what's it about? Just an alienware pc with a "cool" case?

Just enter here: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx :D

In 4Gamer you have all the sweet screens we would like to see about this tiny pc. That alienware is better for gaming that my i7 2600k with the crappy 5770 :poly127:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those alienwares look like theyd be the perfect size for someone who moves around a lot, if Valves machine is a more wallet friendly version of that I'd definitely pick one up!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I think hardware spec ratings would be great!

So devs could make games for spec'd machine class, and gamers could build for a spec'd class.

As new hardware comes out and new classes would be made, and devs could aim and optimize for different specs. No more High, Med, Low settings, but settings for different spec systems.

Maybe three main specs, Elite, (name), Budget and then attach a year at the end. So this game is designed for E2012 systems.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    So, I've been thinking about this more. At first I thought it would be dumb, just because everyone was saying awesome. i can play my steam games on my big tv. But a keyboard and mouse would be crap on a couch. Unless you like using the xbox / ps3 controller more.

But then I thought wait a minute. If this is Valves way of connecting console users to PC users, where the target audience isnt those already on Steam for PC, but all the console people who don't play / have a good pc. That would make sense. Valve is just trying to get a bigger piece of the pie. And, honestly, if that's the case, I can see this being the dominant console. In fact, I can see it being the "one console" of the future. Here's why....

Developers could effectively develop for PC, but have it distributed to console users as well. No more shitty ports. If the console connects to the PC audience, everyone could play everyone. Everyone could talk to everyone. It would connect all gamers, each playing with their preferred control scheme. Keyboard and mouse, controllers. Whatever you prefer, you use. Some people are better at one type than the other, so this would ensure that everyone is at their best. Multiplayer games would be insane, and would make finding a game much easier. Yes, you would need really good match making, but that's doable.

If developers focus on one system (PC), and it transfers to the console, it saves costs, which could mean cheaper prices for games, or the same price but BETTER games. And if you have a pc and the steam box, you buy the game once, and can play on both. Digital distribution, so it screws up the used game ways.

No more xbox / ps3 fan boys... I know microsoft and sony wouldnt go down without a fight, but if Valve pulls this off, it would be one hell of a war....

I still stand by my "steam needs to fix its servers first" though.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    If developers focus on one system (PC), and it transfers to the console

It's more like this:

Developers develop their games for two consoles, then they have to make it work on a million difference pc configurations.

Consoles will always have a upper hand due to being limited in the ways they are, the moment a pc bests a console at that, it's no longer with the benefits of a pc.

This will bring over console gamers to experience pc only games, but it won't conquer out consoles in any way, just the same way that iphone wont ever win out the portable console market unless it becomes that market.
  • MadnessImport
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how they waited almost as long as HL2:EP3's development cycle has been to actually come out and trash the rumours :poly142:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    that... doesnt squash the rumours at all, actually....

They just said not any time soon, as in E3 or GDC. That doesn't mean they wont have something next year, or the year after. Technically ps4 and the next xbox aren't "any time soon" either. They haven't even announced them officially yet. But its pretty clear they are working on hardware. All the articles I've read, they never flat out say no, there will not be hardware. Just its not coming soon, but we will release hardware if we have to.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Well, from Valve's job section:
    For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.

Duties:
    Work with the hardware team to conceive, design, evaluate, and produce new types of input, output, and platform hardware

Requirements:
    Hands on prototyping experience
    Lab and measurement skills
    System level design experience
    Knowledge of embedded systems/microcontrollers
    Experience with high speed serial interfaces
    Experience with schematic entry
    Experience with circuit simulation
    Four years relevant experience

http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

Oh Valve.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Oni, valve has been very public about being interested in new hardware for gaming -- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/20/gabe-newell-ponders-if-we-have-to-sell-hardware-we-will/