Home Technical Talk

Obvious edges in a model

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
Hey, I'm having some trouble with a model I'm doing for someone. I'm not new to Maya, but I'm still not quite experienced enough to solve a few problems.

With my model, there are edges visible. When I import it into UDK, they are even worse and cause some really ugly shadows. Usually, if something like this happens in Maya, I add more edge loops or smooth the normals. However, none of that is working. I Googled and searched on here and tried some of the other solutions(set normsls to face, set normals to various angles, add more edge loops, etc.), but still, nothing is really helping that much. I'm not sure what else to do.

I attached shaded and wireframe images

1.jpg
2.jpg

The intensity of the edges changes upon the angle of the camera. Some points look smooth from one angle, then really jagged in another.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This is a smoothing error causes by the vertical edges being offset creating a jagged shape as opposed to a smooth curve. A solution could be reducing this shape to as few edges as possible, and smoothing it. There may be cleaner, more manual solutions, specifically with the tool you're suing. However, I haven't worked in Maya in years.
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reducing the number of edges could help or the other method is adding horizontal edges to smooth it out
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll that a go as soon as possible(probably tonight). I thought about adding the horizontal loops, but I figured that would introduce more edges when the vertical ones weren't even fixed. I'll give them both a shot though!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I fixed the smoothing issue, but now I've somehow messed up a normal or something. I ended up cutting the model in half, fixed the smoothing on one side, then mirrored and merged vertices. Somehow in that process(and some other tinkering probably), there is a gap(on both sides since it was mirrored) in UDK. The problem isn't seen in Maya though. I assumed it was a normal issue, but I can't seem to fix it. I've gone through and tried finding any normals that were reverse, as well as set a custom angle, set to face, and other stuff. Nothing is fixing my issue though.

Is there something else I'm missing with normals?