Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painting Fur? Also seams.

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
Some may or may not remember me posting this cat eons ago but I'm working on it again in earnest, now moved onto texturing.

01Hv3.png

I got the initial blockout of colors and stuff done but I am at a loss for how I should proceed. The biggiest issues I am having trouble transitioning from blocky colors and tones to having the look, texture, and quality of fur. Are there any brushes, techniques, or tutorials out there specifically for painting fur?

Secondly, as you can probably see, seams are already starting to become an issue. I have no idea and have never had an idea how people keep their textures from looking like shit across seams in the UV without taking eons doing minute adjustments back and fourth between photoshop and Max. There has to be an easier way right? can anyone give me any help with seams?

Some cats for reference.

cMVeO.jpg
TgDPV.jpg
G8505.jpg
eKLSQ.jpg
Qem5N.jpg

Replies

• Kupikimijumjum
    Have you tried painting seams in Viewport canvas... As for fur, one easy trick is to lay down colors, then a use dotted smudge brush with around 70% strength, working from one side of the coat to the other so the hairs appear to overlap. Then you can go in and paint more high-detail hair with fine brushes, or throw some overlays on. Or you can paint directly from photos.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I've only used viewport canvas a few times before and forgot about it, I'll keep it in mind.

EDIT: Tried what you suggested, blurred out the obvious paint strokes, used some filtered trickery on a patch of year cat fur, end result makes for a pretty good base to work from.

ce1jk.png