Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Mace, Oobersli

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
So, i started this thing the other day when I saw the comp details. did it for fun, so now I think I'll use it as a concept and make a proper ds2 weapon with this as inspiration. already have some ideas on what I'm going to do, guess I'll get the proxy made and post it up next.

mace_head05.jpg

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'd paint over this are rework the forms. Seems like playing with the forms for a while could really get something cool.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i want to get a bit more flair in this, so I'm trying to see how I can build up the forms and create a good contrast of different materials on this. Think I read somewhere that nothing can be floating.. sorta had an idea that the rings would be slightly disconnected and have some malevolent force inside that spins the rings, but thats outtta the works now.

Still not sure which style I'm going to go either.

just two ideas I proxy'd out real quick. more to come.

mace_concept01.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need to leave a trail of bread crumbs to find my thread with so many people posting.

anyways, going a bit forward with the more bulkier design. still need to work on the pommel but I'll play with it some and see if I can get some good shapes with it. horizontal rings are stone, vertical bands are metal with itsy bitsy spike studs.

not sure if anyone knows, but can the weapons have intersecting geo, or does it need to be one water tight mesh? if so, I'll have to rework some stuff around the hilt.

ds_mace01.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well if it makes any difference I make sure to post in all the threads. I recall someone saying no floating geo, has to be welded but you might as well ask in the Q&A thread.

I'd say it's a good start but I feel like it lacks the "thing" that makes it stand out. Mind you there's a hammer in game that's basically just a big square cinder block. Anyway what category are you following? Maker? I'd say it looks forged. Anyway keep pushing out the designs.
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    I love the top of the mace, but the stick, for holding,... I dono, it is too ... simple :/

T.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Make sure with the sculpts to give very stylized cuts. Crisp and defined with intention. Hard chips in the stone and slashes in the metal.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, i'm making a new alpha to do some nice clean cuts. also, the grip is plain right now since I"m going to sculpt in detail on it. some of the elements are a bit plain juts because they're proxy shapes, but I usually go back and forth to get more unique stuff.

thx for feedback guys. oh and yes, I'm going for maker I guess.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just pushing out more ideas on the vertical metal bands.

foundation_mace01.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because a few people have expressed how it might seem boring, just did a quick paintover of what my idea of how it will glow in between the stone rings. imagine as if they contain some infernal force in side. the color and power might not look like this and since I'm going for a maker look i might make it more neutral.

oh and I just did the grip like that because I was bored, thats not what it will be like.

foundation_mace02.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Really love the simplicity of this design. Some of my favorite maces are just big blocks of stone and metal. They always look like they will cause blunt force trauma :)

I’d add some leather straps to the handle to break up the materials a bit.

- BoBo
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Habboi wrote: »
    Well if it makes any difference I make sure to post in all the threads. I recall someone saying no floating geo, has to be welded but you might as well ask in the Q&A thread.

I'm pretty sure that question you're referring to wasn't asking about floating geometry but about floating pieces on the weapon such as floating crystals around the weapon.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • Cav73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cav73 polycounter lvl 11
  • Xenier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i actually really dig the simplicity, there's something to say about big shapes vs noodling
  • StolenPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starting to look nice dood! just add in some of those design elements from the game to really sell it