Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Molly Facepuncher

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ferg polycounter lvl 17
Been so long since I've posted a real personal project on here I almost forgot where the new thread button was.

Inspired by hazardous' totally radical class, I'm challenging myself to build a sexy stylized female character. I've been doing some realistic women for work lately, and wanted to see if I've learned enough from them to properly stylize the anatomy.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm gonna take this all the way to a low-poly stage, depends how it turns out, but so far I'm pretty happy with her, so I probably will.

Started on her this afternoon, the hands will eventually be proper boxing gloves, they're just placeholders for now. Also, I stumbled on this badass concept in the middle of the project and definitely pulled some inspiration from it.

Would love some feedback, I'm having a bitch of a time getting the boobs to look right. I'm going for a stylized "fit" look, not skinny/skeletor.... the midsection still needs some love to fix that I think.

Blahblahblah... here's the current super rough wip:
fighterchick1.jpg

I'm still playing with the costume design a bit... can't decide which of these I like better. What do you guys think?

whichone.jpg

cheers

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This is so fresh i feel like I've just had a pop-rock enema!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looks good, something new to follow : )
    i like the first two better then the third but not a big fan of the gloves :/ but then again i dont know your plans for them : )
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'd vote for the first variation
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff.
    I vote for third variation. Already seen to many baggy pants that end where the ones do in variation one :)
    Oh and that vacuum packed area of clothing on her butt is not doing it for me. Seems horribly uncomfortable. Her breasts seem fine to me.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Haha this is awesome. I like the slight asymmetry the one leg rolled up gives.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im liking the third variation. Looking forward to seeing her done!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I think I have to agree with Kodde on this one, butts are fantastic, however there's no possible way those pants could be that baggy everywhere else and yet be that tightly wrapped around her shapely rear.

So since the baggy pants seem pretty essential to the character I'd loosen that area. You could spandex up the rest of the pants if you really wanted to show her goods off, but like I said that doesn't seem like it'd work for her personality as I perceive it.

As for the costume variations I'm liking either two or three, two has that nice asymmetry to it which makes the character seem more unique from a geo/texture standpoint.

This is looking cool so far, can't wait to see it finished, whether that means polished high or a game ready low I think this is going to turn out nice, keep at it!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I vote 2 for asymmetry and personality.

Boobs are looking pretty good if you ask me.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Damn you, Ferg. Stop being so awesome.

I have nothing to add that others haven't mentioned already.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like her butt :)

Outfit-wise I like version 2 myself, 1 and 3 both feel boring to me.
    I think the back of her jacket could also hang a little lower. I know it`s easier to make the low poly this way but I think it would make for a more interesting silhouette if it was hanging down to either just above or below the bra strap, kinda like a mini cape.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    It's still a WIP, and she's already awesome. Your talent with stylization it's so strong. Who knows one day I reach this level too.

For clothes, I think it depends your purpose. If you want her more sexy, #1 define her shapes better, letting us to see her legs shapes. #3 gives her a much cutier and childish appearence, because it's a tiny girl using much larger clothes. #2 combines the two things.

Personaly, I like #3 better.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it'd be cool if you could rig is that she could hitch up her pants in an animation. Its not really a costume change its just a different way to wear the same pants.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Super cool concept, looking forward to seeing it develop. For the outfit variants I'd go with 1 or 2; I really like the look of the shorter/hiked up pant legs but the asymmetry of option 2 is pretty appealing too.

Not quite sure what to make of the gloves at this point, I'm curious to see where you'll be going with them.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I'd go for version 1 or 2.

Love the style you're going with! Not a huge fan of the face/head yet though, has a bit of an elf/fairy kind of feeling to it?

Looking awesome, following this :D
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Either 1st or the 3rd. The 2nd one looks nice but it seems a bit odd in comparison to the others. Awesome work mate.
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoa, looks hot. I prefer the 3rd design. either shorts or long pants (not rolled up). no exceptions!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    This character is looking fantastic already, I love it :D:D:D

My opinion is that the boobs are fine, it fits so well with the overall style.
    I like the shape of her torso, I think all you have to do with that is just make that
    area with a more tone physique but keep the shape, imo.

For the pants, realistically I agree with everyone, but I believe that since your character is sssoooo heavily stylized you can get away with it. Maybe all you have to
    do is just loosen up the pants a bit around the bottom area of her butt; this way you keep that sexy look she has but the flow of the pants makes sense.

As for the pants design, I would go with #2, its got the best of both worlds.

Fantastic job man, I'm subscribing to watch this progress. :D:D:D
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    what an awesome start man:) Digging it a lot.
    I would like to point out that you have totally sacrificed the obliques on her and that kind of looks odd to me. You dont really have to change the overall silhouette and you can just nest them in if that works better for you.
    Same for lats on the back - there is practically no lats and no obliques on your character. from those two i would really like to see the obliques being implemented.
    Unfortunately I am not sure how you would do this so I will stop now :)
    Waiting for some progress :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This is so great. I love the style of it. She looks like a graffiti character.
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    She's punching faces, with awesomeness.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Not a fan of her ass, you don't need to have super tight asses on chicks to make then look hawt. At the moment it feels like an excuse to sculpt a tight ass.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Great work, Ferg! Love the styl and execution so far!
    My only nitpick would be that the hipbones are a bit too sharply defined, it kinda breaks with the rest of the model that is pretty fluent in it's shapes.

Also, costume variation nr2. Asymmetry for the win. :)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    At the moment it feels like an excuse to sculpt a tight ass.

you never need an excuse to sculpt a tight ass : P
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    whoa! Thanks for all the replies everyone! Much appreciate all the feedback and costume votes.

- kodde: Yeah I noticed that too, didn't want to say anything so I could see if anyone else noticed it. I've worked on that area of the pants a bit, and hopefully the suspenders will help minimize any weirdness.

- skudzalmighty: thanks for the idea, I roughed it out just to see how it looked... just couldnt get it looking right though.

- jramauri: Interesting way to look at it. Definitely kept it in mind for this update.

- meintevd$: Yeah, still working on the face, I want her to look like a stylized young adult, without reeking of anime or childhood.

- dianaski: Thanks for the feedback, dead-on read of my sloppy anatomy. I've been playing with the anatomy a lot last night and today... see if the current update seems more anatomical without breaking the style of the character.

- EVIL: And that's... bad? IMHO, any excuse to sculpt or draw a fantastic ass is not just acceptable... it's mandatory.

- Maph: Thanks for the feedback dude, kept it in mind on this update. For some reason I really like prominent, wide hip crests, even if it's not anatomically correct. See if this update works better on that front.

Sooooooooooooo here's the update. Looks like costume 2 won the vote contest, and I tend to agree. A little asym is great, and it gives her an extra dose of attitude. I also reworked a lot of the torso anatomy, front and back. I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I won't mention the bits I'm concerned about so I can see if any of you guys notice them too. Easy to lose perspective on things like that when you've already revised the anatomy like four fckin times today and you have to get up in a few hours.

I also added some suspenders... The costume didnt really complete so I'm experimenting with adding flare. Thoughts?

I'm also planning on iterating the hair a bit tomorrow, maybe try out a pony tail, among other things. Gloves are just gonna be standard-ish boxing gloves.

cheers

molly1.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Heyaa nice update:) This is exactly what i expected to see there :) now you just gonna have to play with it a bit more to make flow better and smooth it out so it looks better for a female character- same with your lower back. It is just a tad rough for me right now.
    Next think is if you can suggest at least some lats and some armpit area. does not have to all that prominent again.
    Awesome work on the folds and the face man.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Woah, suspenders are really cool, worked very well to her. Ponytails will add a lot both to personality/femininity. Youre on the track.

I'd sugest wash out stomach muscles a bit. Although she's an athlettic woman, women still have an extra fat cape over her bodies, that make her rounder than man.

Keep it up, buddy!
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
    Was thinking the pant leg that has fallen down should sag more at the ankle but maybe the pants aren't that long or the material that heavy? Is it still just in the position from when it was stretched out for testing different designs?
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Nice update. I don't really know if the suspenders make much sense but damn if they don't look neat.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's ripped all sorts of weird.

If you want her to be muscular, then the muscle proportions need to change.
    pb_stomach1010_88629c.jpg
    female-tan-beach-skincare-black-bikini-vert-1-look-left-425.jpg
    women_abs.jpg
    girls_with_six_pack_99.jpg
    I don't think ripped fits her personality though. I'd keep it subtle.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the suspenders. I like they character they bring, but they kinda get distracting. They work to draw your eye to a central spot at her beltline, and away from her legs. The also mess with the leg profile in a way that I'm not sure is good. I also think they minimize the effect of the asymmetric pants.

Lots of girls with ripped abs for ref here. Or y'know, if you like that sort of thing.
    http://xaxor.com/component/content/article/13-female/19635-six-packs-girls-part-2.html

Not my cup.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i second the more subtle look
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    disanski - great feedback, I'd lost a lot of the stylized proportions when I updated the anatomy, I've gone back and fixed it.

jramauri - Thanks man, agreed on the fat layer, tried to add that in today

SiegePerilous - Yeah that was pretty much just the first sculpt stretched out, I did some more work on it tonight so the folds should look a little better.

Jigsaw - Heh yep

pseudoBug - "She's ripped all sorts of weird." - I lol'd. Thanks for the crit and ref, I totally agree and have gone through and reworked most of her anatomy, I think it helped a lot.

Here's tonight's update. Worked on pretty much everything, gave her a new haircut, and some other stuff. Gettin there...

molly2.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno man, i vastly preffered the older more stylized one. It feels like the belly is too subtle, and doesnt have the hard sharp lines that gave me a boner before. Can't say that i like the new hair style too much. It worked better as blue.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the new hair style looks way better, i dont care what colour you go for but the overall new cut looks ace.

but now im noticing that the suspenders look like they are tucked into the pants rather then actually being attached, unless they have small clips or something. They dont look like they would be included with those pants and you would buy separately, not sure if i make sense lol its early and im off to work :P

but this does keep getting better and better !
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I'm getting a serious librarian vibe from her. Like her face is just begging for some glasses. Obviously a bad idea for a boxer, but she just screams character man.

I dig it.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    oops i forgot to comment earlier, im loving it man!
    i immediately thought of olivia's concept when i first saw it :)

badass dude!
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really cool, but I am not feeling the face at all. I think it is the nose. Both its pointiness(especially when concidering she is a boxer) but also the placement on the face.

I would flatten and lower it a bit - possibly playing around with a broken nose look to make her less "perfect". I would also try and give her the classic "band-aid-over-the-nose" look; although that might be a bit clich
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Looking great Ferg. Can't wait for the finish :)
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Im with Muzz, I really liked that ripped look. Awesome sculpt
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Really awesome! Love the style and colors.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    She's awesome now. I like modifications very much. Now I think you could work a bit more on face. Any chance to post a close up?
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    I think the rework of her stomach looks a ton better, that and I agree with jgcount that the nose looks a little odd. Its not a bad nose by any stretch, but maybe playing with a button nose or something a little bigger. Still though I freakin love this character!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe. Glad It helped, and entertained! Was almost concerned I came across too harsh. :)

I'd minimize that hip-bone. That usually only occurs on super skinny girls who don't have much in the way of muscle or fat to fill out the hips.

A la -
    evaherzigovaSPLASH_450x499.jpg

I think you might want to taper the muscle definition on the obliques/hipbone area as it wraps around to the back.

I think the stomach needs to taper off a bit higher up.(especially if you're trying to indicate a toned stomach. Fat deposits tend to make this area a bit wider and softer looking on normal girls.)

Female faces are hard, and toon females are harder. My take:
    Chin is too big in proportion.
    Nose is too high and possibly too long.(might be fine if it was lowered.)
    Eyes are too big.(at least with the cheeks the way they are.)
    Lower eyelid is possibly defined improperly/too much.
    Cheekbones may need reworking.
    Mouth too wide, corner not far enough back perhaps.
    Chin/ear to high.

Decided to attmpt a paintover. Limited success. That face is a bit pixelated.
    ANIMATED!!!!
    2LhWR.gif

Fit girls with curves are a hard thing to pull off, simply because in reality they don't really exist. The classic lady shapes are highly influenced by fat deposits. Semi-muscular girls who still have some padding on them are usually the exception.

Most women that get uber-fit end up looking like this.
    http://www.spiderwebx.com/?p=4094
    And yes, those boobs are completely fake.

My reaction to that look:
    tumblr_lpa7tqghgk1qcmwu2.gif
    In the bad way. :P

I can haz boys?
    806571825.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Loves me some polycount love. I wish I could do individual replies for everyone but I'm supposed to be doing my taxes right now :X

Thanks for all the feedback and crits, I've reworked the anatomy and general proportions a bit to bring her closer to the original proportions she had. I lost some of the stylization when I worked on the anatomy, so I'm trying to strike a balance between anatomical correctness and stylization now.

Pseudobug: Whoa! I think that's the most thorough crit I've gotten on polycount, much appreciated dude. I kept a lot of it in mind for this revision, and I feel like I may have found a nice balance between looking right and looking cool. Thanks for taking the time to put all that together, you made some great points that helped a ton.

Again, I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have been giving me. I realized yesterday though that it was getting a little design-by-committee-ish, so I haven't made ALL the changes suggested. I've been getting a lot of conflicting crits on certain aspects of the design and realized a lot of it is just personal preference, and I need to just trust my gut on things I'd been polling the crowd about. The conflicting opinions did help put everything in perspective for me, which probably helped more than anything.

So here's the latest update, I feel like the sculpt is almost done. Got maybe one more revision/polish session before I start on the low poly. I decided to lose the suspenders, they were cool looking but I liked the simplicity of the original design better. I worked on the face a bunch, scaled up the pony tails, worked on the shoes a bit.... also scaled down the head a little so she looks less like a child with huge tatas, that was starting to creep me out a bit.... anyway here she is.

molly4.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    She's now 97% of win. It would be 100% if suspenders come back :)
    Anyway, I respect your decision. Face is very pretty now. Excellent job, sir.

chuck-norris-approve.gif
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    this is an awesome character! coming along really nicely, I think you should soften her hip bones a bit though
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    Looking wonderful now! pulling in that belly just a tad more on the size would be nice though, also where did the suspenders go though? :(
  • E-MadHud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always go asymmetrical.
  • E-MadHud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pseudoBug: I hate to contradict you because I don't want you to think I have anything against what you're saying. I think it's all valid, but I personally have had experience with a girlfriend of mine who had jutting hip bones and she was a voluptuous girl. The hip bones are sometimes angled out and sometimes the girl just doesn't deposit much fat there, kind of like the elbow area, even on fat people you can see their elbows. It's kind of like that.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz wrote: »
    this is an awesome character! coming along really nicely, I think you should soften her hip bones a bit though
    +1
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rad, that's more like it!