Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, Shiv

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Shiv polycounter lvl 15
Thought I would lay claim to a thread, unlikely to finish this but I will try my darndest to fit it around hectic uni projects!!

Spent tonight researching and put a bit of time into thumbnailing, I always get stuck into details far too fast, anyway, getting ideas down!

Concept1.jpg

Concepting weapons is haaarrrddd

Replies

• SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    looks like an spikey one eyed octopus holding a slice of pizza! Is the hammer head end the right had side of your drawing?
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I spent some time working on the concept, I have decided to push this idea as it seems kind of cool to me :)
    Concept3.jpg

I hate the pomel and not the biggest fan of the grip yet but its getting there!
    Any thoughts are very welcome!
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Worked on improving the pomel and grip, going to start blocking out the shape in 3d now.
    24q48zl.jpg
    I think it fits the style, not sure :(
  • pulyx
    Offline / Send Message
    pulyx polycounter lvl 8
    The fleshy part could be redder. But otherwise that's one scary/disgusting ocotupus from hell axe. Nice job!
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    ~Thanks, you're right I will tweak the colours again.
    I started a model for the hammer, building it up... really not feeling it :\, think i will drop back to thumbnails before dropping too much time into it unless anyone has any other suggestions.

s6na55.jpg
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I have had a go at a new design before i sink to much time into this, Hopefully this looks more like a hammer and less like an axe.
    Concept4.gif
    Thoughts welcome!
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Yar this one has way more of a hammer feeling to it. Not sure if I like the (not sure what it is) on top of the skull. So far it feels like a random bit of rubble attached to it, could be cool if you turned it into a horn/spike, like a rhino or triceratops.
    As for the handle I think it's to busy with random stuff at the moment. I like the fact that it is made out of several bones, but I don't think all the black bandages and tiny skulls/runes/rope is needed.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Meinte!
    Concept5.gif
  • BigK
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    Overall I really like the concept except that it looks like the "business end" is on the right. With the skull facing that way and now with the horn and the black spikes, it looks like its made to swing the opposite way. Maybe altering the proportions a little to make the hammer head a little larger would bring out that side more.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks so much for the critique. Here are my two final concepts, learnt tons doing these further than is perhaps neccesary.

Weapoon.jpg

Leaning majorly towards the new one, might still need a few tweaks to make it more darksiders but I think its more interesting and has a (much) stronger hammer tone!
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    345d93p.jpg
    Mad rush to finish now before I leave the country, my fault taking so long concepting.
    New shape is cooler I feel :x
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Red bull in hand (i never drink caffiene :x) Last night before i leave the country, this is getting done!
    Current really (really really) dirty unwrap/bake. Now to texture!
    Dirtybake.jpg
    Most of it done today XD
  • benji
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Looking sick man, nice sculpt!
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks a lot man :)... red bull is now empty and I am running out of energy, I enjoyed the trial by fire use of zbrush :D
    Update4.jpg

Here is my entry targetting the core theme, just got to make a submitance for the competition then collapse :).

Darksiders_Final.jpg

Would like to thank the guys at Vigil, the live streams have been absolutely fantastic, a real inspiration :).. I just hope my rushed attempt is even remotely acceptable.