Home General Discussion

Eat3d's Character Production By Michael Pavolvich

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings!

Surprisingly, no one made a thread about Eat 3d's new DVD (which you guys usually do as soon as it is released.)

http://eat3d.com/blog/eat-3d/new-dvd-release-zbrush-4-character-production

EDIT: My thoughts: I watched it yesterday and it was really amazing tutorial. I think it is good for intermediates' review and new learners / self-learners.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I just bought it last night. I liked his last one. So far so good. I saw a thread introducing it on CGS last night.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the kind words, guys :)

As always, Michael did an amazing job on this DVD. Personally, he is one of my favourite tutors and this time was no exception :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, guys :)

As always, Michael did an amazing job on this DVD. Personally, he is one of my favourite tutors and this time was no exception :D

After watching his DVD, mine too. :D

EDIT: I apologize for this mistake. I meant to write "Michael Pavlovich" instead of "Michael Pavolvich."

It is a minor yet stupid mistake, so I request any moderators or editors / admins who come across this thread to change correct the mistake in the thread's title. :(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow? Really? No one seem to have anything to say about this?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It's good. Might have been an idea to wait till this latest R3 version but if Eat were not in the loop regarding that plan then I can understand that. Maybe Michael can do an epilogue covering the new tweaks :)

People might not be discussing this DVD because Eat has already taken all our money and we cannot afford another DVD ;P

It looks pretty good from the trailers though. Treading water a tiny bit maybe... Maybe there's new avenues to be covered, like advanced rigging stuff like wings or animals.... animation too maybe.... Maybe get into a bit of Maya too...

Actually what I really want is Andy to do a Blender Masterclass DVD that covers everything!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I would gladly take a picture of me swimming in a pool full of disembodied breasts while wrestling kittens and puppies wearing pumpkin costumes if it means Andy doing a Blender Tuto.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Treading water a tiny bit maybe... Maybe there's new avenues to be covered, like advanced rigging stuff like wings or animals.... animation too maybe.... Maybe get into a bit of Maya too...

Actually what I really want is Andy to do a Blender Masterclass DVD that covers everything!

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=38&autoplay=1

not particularly Andy doing the Blender Master class DVD but it is kind of covered.

There was also rigging a rhino if you look at the old tutorials. I go to this website sometimes since I can not afford a year worth of subscription I look at the free stuff.

But the subscription is really worth it for advanced tutorials for rigging.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, don't think much about Digital Tutors. They're ok for showing you where the buttons are I guess. I prefer eat though. They are the full package.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, don't think much about Digital Tutors. They're ok for showing you where the buttons are I guess. I prefer eat though. They are the full package.

Do you always take one's word for granted and have false beliefs or do you see it and than believe it.

There is no difference between them actually. If you go to the DT website for advanced tutorials they will teach you the advanced stuff and they will state right away that this is the beginners / intermediate / advanced tutorial.

If the tutorial is for beginners, they would state something like "This tutorial was made for people who are absolute beginners."

If it is intermediate or advanced, they would say something like "This tutorial was made for viewers who have the basic knowledge of the 3d software they are working with. if you like to review the basics there is a tutorial (name of an appropriate beginner's tutorial that is relevant to the current one that they are teaching.)"

There are minor differences between Eat 3d and DT since Eat 3d does cover a bit more ground basis for Game Developers by publishing out the UDK tutorials. They also published CryEngine tutorial. Which is great.

Digital Tutors just started publishing tutorials out for Unity.

Digital tutor's Biker tutorial is pretty much the same as this character production tutorial, the one I linked in the main post. Except for the part where Michael gives you a tip of how to present your model. (which is kind of a good touch when wrapping up the tutorial.) Also, I really liked how he laid out the texture on the jeans and shirt without going in to Maya, creating a texture of it, and importing it back to the Zbrush for Polypaint. Instead Michael just used Noise and Spotlight for it.

You seem to not have an open mind for a learner. You are more like a follower who will eventually get a teaching job. Like if people will tell you later on that Eat 3d Tutorials suck, you will just believe them instead of trying them out.

In this case, they believe that Digital Tutors suck and Eat 3d is better where I have tried both and to be honest with you. Nothing but the end is different.

There are many people here including myself who learned alot from the Digital tutors before I moved on to Eat 3d because buying one permanent copy of the tutorial for the same workflow is better than subscribing to have it for one year only, kind of made sense to me. And I really liked the ending and how he presented this character.

Lastly; That particular tutorial from Digital tutors that i've linked is an advanced tutorial. They will not tell you how to push buttons in this tutorial.

I try to get as much info out of their tutorials that are free. For subscription, they are still a bit expensive for me but I still admire their tedious work flow (slower than Eat 3d but Tedious).
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great recommendation, looks like another 5 star tut. Loving the polypaint parts... ^^
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erm Nitewalker, I only read the first few paragraphs of that rant, because it seemed you were insinuating that I am unfamiliar with DT. My work has a subscription with them, I watch their stuff very often :thumbup: I just personally feel Eat 3D's stuff is of a much much higher quality. It combines Gnomon (pure art discussion with very good artists but with very little interface tutoring) and Digital Tutors (often underwhelming artists, but they show you where the buttons and new features are).

<3 Eat 3D.

EDIT: Never mind, I read on.
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    You seem to not have an open mind for a learner. You are more like a follower who will eventually get a teaching job. Like if people will tell you later on that Eat 3d Tutorials suck, you will just believe them instead of trying them out.

I'm so embarrased for you right now.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many hours/% of the total is dedicated to Maya?
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Not a great deal, some reptopology tweaks and clothes blocking, it's mainly a zBrush orientated tutorial.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    At a guess, there is about 25-30 or so of Maya in the DVD and as Tenchi said, it's just retopo and some basic blocking out etc.

As for the Blender tut, I have been toying with the idea of making a few free tuts once the first official BMesh build is released :)
    What sort of things do you guys want to see?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a few areas that dont seem to that well documented in blender, while there are a million fluid sim tuts out there hah. Maybe something with the BGE if you're familiar with it? I'll think on it and see if I can come up with any good ideas.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At a guess, there is about 25-30 or so of Maya in the DVD and as Tenchi said, it's just retopo and some basic blocking out etc.

As for the Blender tut, I have been toying with the idea of making a few free tuts once the first official BMesh build is released :)

That depends on what can you do in blender.

I personally would wish to see someone putting little focus towards ogre3d. Like creating a high standard game model in zbrush and blender, rig it, animate it and exporting it in to the ogre. Or just a simple prop of the game environment in to ogre. It would be really awesome.

Edit: on second thought, I havent tried blender tut dvds yet, so i'll do some research and post my request.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This sounds a like good idea for a Poll'd thread! Right now I could say everything and nothing, but I think what I'm most curious about a workflow which might include blender that could represent real-world kludge that you would do.

Also, ding, ding, I think I just got myself a new tuto.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think its a great tut, the only thing is I can't stand texturing in ZB, since the texture resolution depends on the res of your actual mesh therefore not giving you much control (although I think sculpting in ZB is better than Mud.) I usually bake out the Low poly with AO and bring it into Mud to texture, that's just my preference though...
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7

Overall my main things in Blender that annoy me is when I follow other tutorials I can never for the life of me get 3d texture painting or the projection painting to work. Even a simple step by step of how to set it up would be awesome. But it might just be bugs of some sort. Or a video about a decent options set up for trying to use a tablet for 3d texture painting in blender.

Otherwise I think a good tutorial would be using Blender's ability to layer multiple textures using masking to good use would be awesome. I saw a tutorial on blending matcaps and stuff and I thought a game model texturing approach to that method would be fantastic. That and a good BMesh primer video would be magnificent.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    so i guess expanding on this is the new release.

http://eat3d.com/zbrush4_r2r3
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this latest one seems more interesting to me. Might have to purchase this one instead.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to watch the first video again and I am waiting for one of you guys to give a thorough review before i buy this second tutorial of Michael.

I want to buy it but I think most of the stuff from the original tutorial is pretty much transferrable based on one's needs.

I would really appreciate it if someone takes his/her time watching this tutorial and gives out a thorough review.
    I am going to buy it on the weekend regardless.:shifty:
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know I love your DVDs Andy but what was the reasoning behind the last two DVD's and the timeframe between them? Is the character production one a bit similar to the Orc one? Would it not have been worth a purchase for people who already owned the Orc DVD if these last two DVD's were actually one? Is it simply a case of you guys were caught off guard with the R3 release, and the first DVD had already been through its pressing?
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    HA. I can't believe people are fighting over Tutorial sites. That shows you how spoiled we are these days as artists. I remember back-in-the-day just finding a tutorial in itself was a chore. There was basically poopinmymouth.com and some random lightwave tutorials. Oh how times have changed.

Anyways, this video looks ace! Can't wait to snag it for work.
    Peace!
    B
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yet again, you guys deliver awesome.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell wrote: »
    There was basically poopinmymouth.com and some random lightwave tutorials. Oh how times have changed.
    B

Haha for me it was the Joan of Arc tutorial lol.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    You know I love your DVDs Andy but what was the reasoning behind the last two DVD's and the timeframe between them? Is the character production one a bit similar to the Orc one? Would it not have been worth a purchase for people who already owned the Orc DVD if these last two DVD's were actually one? Is it simply a case of you guys were caught off guard with the R3 release, and the first DVD had already been through its pressing?
    The ZBrush 3.5 Character Production DVD is similar to the new ZB4 Character DVD in that Michael makes a character and polypaints it, but he uses the more advanced and up to date tools that are in ZB4+. The 3.5 DVD is still relevant but was released in Jan 2010, so we felt it was worth having a full character DVD that covered all the new workflows and updates that have happened since then. Both DVD's are still compatible with each other and there is some stuff that is featured in the 3.5 DVD that we don't go over in massive detail in the new release, because it's already been covered (though we do cover basic stuff people need to know).
    The process that Michael uses to create the new character is substantially different to the Orc due to the updated techniques and differences in subject matter. Plus I think everyone is getting a little tired of that guy by now ;)

In regards to the ZBrush 4 R2&R3 - New Features DVD...
    They were always planned as separate releases, as with the 3.5 Character and Intro tutorials, because it allows us to go into much more detail than we would otherwise be able to, due to logistical challenges regarding filesize and tutorial length etc.
    Also, some people don't want to have to watch a character DVD to learn a bunch of new features, so we try to cater to them as well. The new features DVDs show much more specific and focused tuition in regards to the actual features themselves, rather than showing them in a specific case or scenario, such as making a character or sculpting some cloth etc. :)
    Parnell wrote: »
    HA. I can't believe people are fighting over Tutorial sites. That shows you how spoiled we are these days as artists. I remember back-in-the-day just finding a tutorial in itself was a chore. There was basically poopinmymouth.com and some random lightwave tutorials. Oh how times have changed.

Anyways, this video looks ace! Can't wait to snag it for work.
    Peace!
    B
    Same here, man! Just a copy of Milkshape and a frustrated look on my face :)

Thanks for the kind words too :D
    [HP] wrote: »
    Yet again, you guys deliver awesome.
    Thanks, man! Enjoy :D
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah gotta show my love for the Eat 3D tutorials for giving all the good info and delivered in a concise way. I owe a lot to them, but have been showing it with my wallet. Think I've bought 5 of their tutorials by now and I'm sure it won't stop there.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Fomori wrote: »
    Yeah gotta show my love for the Eat 3D tutorials for giving all the good info and delivered in a concise way. I owe a lot to them, but have been showing it with my wallet. Think I've bought 5 of their tutorials by now and I'm sure it won't stop there.
    Thanks, Fomori :)