Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Humvee - middle east edition

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
Hi Polycounters! This time I wasn't worry about polycount because I used 37 k triangles to made this, but it's only portfolio piece and I treat it like LOD 0 (if it for game I will create LOD 20 k and 10 k . It's my first so complicated object, so time for making high and low models take me a lot more than should, but nobody can take away experiance what I gain creating this model. For bakeing I used there many small tricks like hit matching id and had created many projects [about 70] for good bake then I connected it in Photoshop. It was quite easy, because for every object I baked ao,normal and alpha which help me a lot in quick selecting right parts.

Humvee is my first part for portfolio, which I create to get junior artist work after highschool. After that I plan to do some middle east environment , which should help me to reach target. I hope that your comments, crits maybe some tips will increase my chances.

Ok I write what I need to write so some screenshots (lowpoly from UDK and highpoly from max viewport), hope you like it :)

mFarN.jpg
IJlg8.jpg
img%5D
NiNtt.jpg
KUMGt.jpg

VW12X.jpg
bmkvf.jpg
bmkvf.jpg
JAIx4.jpg

Replies

• OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, i really like what you did there. Awesome details everywhere!
    At first i thought, the first few pictures where hipoly renders ... great job on that lowpoly.
    i have never seen a air con mounted on a humvee ... looks funny ;)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    very nice and smooth!
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made lowpoly from scratch - again. I changed many elements in highpoly, and I added them to low of course. Why I did it ? There are few factors, first of it was my terrible UV which would limit my options to texture. Next was 36k triangles for model like this, I could do less and that wasn't optimizted. Last and maybe most important was tips and suggestions from max3d forum, where many good artists tell me that highpoly is very good, but in making lowpoly I do many mistakes. And they were right, so I started it again. It wasn't easy, so I treat it like persistence test, and I think that I pass it. Now my lowpoly have 15k triangles, but without added new elements it would have 12 k, so I think it's ok. I will try to make great textures, so remember about this thread :D. I won't give up, because I think that making this model at good level and adding to portfolio another 1 or 2 , allow me to get to industry as junior ;-)

Thanks OddEyes and Lonewolf for the kind words :) I hope new one will make same impression.

Ok I stop boring you with this text and we have IMAGES!:

New Highpoly (isn't final renders):

5XYqq.jpg
    rcB6c.jpg
    x74GB.jpg

Lowpoly:
    m4z6P.jpg
    VHiqs.jpg
    z9cNW.jpg
    0ukHA.jpg
    xh9MU.jpg
    uX13b.jpg
    6bkAd.jpg
    FoHAt.jpg

BONUS! - ( elements, which I made in first version of highpoly on that level, because I couldn't do it better and how they look now (making this model teach me so much ).

Wv9on.jpg
    IYPJ8.jpg
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite the fact that earlier update wasn't too popular, I decided to throw something new to this thread. This time it's lowpoly model with texture, but it's earlie version and in plans I have many things to do. For now it's only color with preliminary sand. At once I will write why it takes me so much time, and you see not so much things done on this model - firsly iI need some time to rest, to gainfresh to continue work on this model. Secondly with sand I fight many hours, before I came to conclusion how to do that properly. Next thing is that I'm not familiar with texturing especially more complicated objects, but I treat this model as possibility to take it on upper level, for now I thing that I winning this fight, but with great cost of hours from my life relation to how much work is done. I put screens here, because I want to hear some criticise and idea about texture, despite this is early wip. Ok some screens now :)

Screens from xoliul shader 2.0
    Nu3yt.jpg
    bYBkr.jpg
    mRp90.jpg
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that this hummer is ended, I know that I can do much better on texture, but I'm exhausted from working with it. Now I starting working on portfolio till I will get job, because after ending high school I want to work in industry. In nearest future I will create something in sci-fi climate :D Hope next time I will see some feedback from you. ;-)

PTu5m.jpg
    VYwNU.jpg
    RfMTi.jpg