Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Rouge thing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, I've been working on this thing for a few days now, took a long weekend and managed to get some work done, I got the hi-poly to a stage where I thought I should create a thread to get feedback, suggestions and to post general progress, I'm gonna begin retopology sometime tomorrow but before then if any of you have any critiques or suggestions on it's current state I'd really appreciate them. I'm planning on giving him some kind of weapons but as of yet I'm undecided on exactly what.

Thanks in advance Matt.

high001.jpg

high002.jpg

high003.jpg

high004.jpg

Replies

• Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    I really like this character but i think the back of the head is a bit bare. Maybe a ponytail of sorts just to balance it out with the front. Also I would take another pass at the back of those trousers.

As for a weapon I can see him getting up close and personal, especially with that face and it seems to have a shock factor so I would go for some funky scifi mace/axe.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array Thanks, glad you like it, I see what you mean about the back of the head seaming somewhat bare, at the moment I have a few ideas and I'll give them a go soon, hopefully I wont have to revisit the sculpt ;D

Well, I began retopology today, got about an hour in at work during my lunch hour and managed to get the head done, the topology was more designed around allowing the face to emote somewhat, just finished doing a test bake and here's how it looks, let me know what you think, thanks.

wip03x.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I hate to say this... but it's a pet peeve of mine.

I believe you meant demon ROGUE. Rouge is a type of makeup. :P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you gave him red skin he could be a Rouge Demon.

This guy is looking pretty good. You might perhaps have gone a bit too heavy on the wrinkles on the jacket arms.

I'm assuming the complete lack of buttocks is a design choice.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    looking good, but i gues with the decimation on the jacket you went a tick too far. maby leave a bit more resolution there.
    also the folds on his pants look a bit weird.
    they remind me a lot of the folds i tend to do, and i dont like em^^
    they seem realy loose, like it was a very thin, silky cloth.
    going for something more robust like leather, or jeans-cloth might be a better choice for this character.

also 1 day for getting feedback mostly is not enough, next time start the thread before you are donr with the highpoly, so people can give you advice along the way.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Nice catch on the butt, Jack!

Apart from his missing gluteii he looks great! Excited to see where this goes.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know why, but I think of Star Trek when I see him. Maybe its the jacket, looking more like a uniform.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valander Damn, I'm usually very careful with my spelling and I manage to mistype the title!

Jackablade Thanks for pointing that out, hadn't noticed the lack of buttocks, definately gonna revisit the trousers, they're what I did first and since then the overall look has changed a bit

Goeddy yeah, I was only decimating the stuff so that maya didn't have a fit when I loaded them in, I'm going to use the straight zbrush sculpts for baking in xnormal, and now that you point it out I see what you mean, the trousers are way too light, and in future I'll post more at earlier stages, just thought it might be better to post something a bit more complete

dirigible Thanks, glad you like it

EVIL cheers, making people think of star trek isn't ever a bad thing in my opinion :D

I'll try and get the hands retopo'd this lunch, I'll post my progress either way, thanks everyone for the feedback, it's been very useful
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    You may also want to put a little more time into the transitions on the skin. The hornish things on his brown just merge into the skin on the scalp with no real transition. Same with those odd runic depressions in this face.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim thanks, I'm going to push the contrast between those elements in the spec and diffuse, I started some rough texture work yesterday, nothing really ready to show, and it helps differenciate the different surfaces a great deal

Well, it's a day late but here are some shots of the retopo'd hands, they're fairly basic but they do what I need, the texture at the moment is very rough, it's basically just flat colour, probably not going to go for quite such a yellowish colour pallette, any suggestions would be appreciated, anyway, let me know if you have any thoughts, all comments are appreciated, thanks Matt

wip04.jpg
  • LW3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LW3
    I think the horizontal texture wrinkles in the hand skin make it look like he's wearing gloves -- especially when you look at them next to the sleeves of his uniform. In the original post, third screenshot, if it weren't for the nails I would have assumed he was wearing gloves.

I notice that this newest incarnation of the hands (above) has smoother wrinkles so maybe that will help, but I figured I'd mention something.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LW3 thanks for pointing that out, the decimated version came out slightly exagerated, especailly on the hands, and I agree, they did look a lot more like leather than skin :P glad you think the newer version work better

Well, as the working week is over I can get back to doing some of the corrections many of you pointed out, the trousers in particular, I started on these ealier today, I'm thinking of doing them as thick cloth, almost denim, but of course all of that will be handled in the texture, I also did a bit of work to the texture, nothing mind blowng, simply trying to get a decent idea of what colour pallette to use, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, thanks Matt

wip05.jpg

wip06.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I decided to go back to the sculpt of the head, wasn't too happy with how it came out, and I decided, at the same time, to redo the texture as well, going for a more human skin look than the last update, would appreciate any feedback you lot have, I'm gonna begin retopologizing the clothes tomorrow and hopefully I'll have an update on that fairly soon, I was also wondering, do you think that I should try and keep all the clothing items as one water tight mesh? or do you think I could get away with have the jacket as a seperate mesh? Let me know what you think, thanks in advance

wip07.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've decided to go back and retopo everything, wasn't happy with me initial result, here's my progress so far, gonna begin UV mapping later, thanks

wip08.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    You certainly COULD make the jacked a separate mesh from the rest of his body, but it could be pretty challenging to point weight his torso so that his shirt doesn't poke through his jacket.

Do you want him to be able to take off his jacket? Then make them separate meshes. Otherwise I personally would make them one contiguous mesh.