Home General Discussion

When to start applying for jobs?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, so I graduate from school in May and I was wondering when I should start applying for jobs? Is it too soon to start now? I realize quite a few places take awhile to hear back from so is it good to get an early start?

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    It depends really, is your portfolio ready? Do you have all content you want on it? Do you have enough? I mean I graduate in May too and I would love to start applying but I need to finish more pieces in my folio before I can start applying.

Good Luck man :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Yea it pretty much comes down to if your portfolio is full of industry standard quality level work. Compare your stuff to the games you play. If you see a noticeable quality gap keep working on new stuff while cutting the old stuff. Never be afraid to cut you weakest work and replace it with something new. In the end it all just comes down to portfolio.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I've seen one guy recently hired by Just Add Water and he's in final year, and he doesn't start there until April, I think. So it really does depend on what state your portfolio is at.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I know him he is actually a friend! He was actually asking them for critique on his work and was then offered and art test! The guy is awesome!
  • BB-88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys :)
    That was me, I got very lucky landing the place at JAW so early. I basically started shaping my folio back in January and wanted some opinions on it, and it pretty much went from there.
    I think apply when your portfolio is to a good standard, pretty much a repeat of what PixelMasher said.
    But it doesn't hurt to network and get talking to people in industry before then.
    Just chip away at getting some badass work on your folio while being critical of what you want to show, take critique on it from everyone you can to create a seamless example of your capabilities.

Good luck dude! ;)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm in the process of getting my folio together so I won't start applying until its too a good standard like you guys said. Good to know I'm not alone on this either
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    BB-88 wrote: »
    Hey guys :)
    That was me, I got very lucky landing the place at JAW so early. I basically started shaping my folio back in January and wanted some opinions on it, and it pretty much went from there.
    I think apply when your portfolio is to a good standard, pretty much a repeat of what PixelMasher said.
    But it doesn't hurt to network and get talking to people in industry before then.
    Just chip away at getting some badass work on your folio while being critical of what you want to show, take critique on it from everyone you can to create a seamless example of your capabilities.

Good luck dude! ;)

It's nice to hear success stories, well done man. Personally I'm too scared to even start applying O.o
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can post your portfolio on polycount to be ripped apart and not need to replace the entire thing, you're ready to start.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Same situation here :) it always feels like there's something that can be improved when it comes to portfolio though, it's hard to know when the time is right.
    I guess it's a matter of striking a balance between sending in a premature application when it may not be ready, and sending it in too late when everyone else is doing it too.

Anyone in industry: do you see an influx of applications come in around graduation time? do you think just adding to the pile is something to avoid?
  • kemny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also graduating in May and trying to get to a place with my work where I feel good applying. Good to see I'm not the only one feeling this way :)

If anyone has any advice for me, I can use all the help I can get! I have a week off from school in early March when I plan on going to town on my portfolio/reel.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    If you can post your portfolio on polycount to be ripped apart and not need to replace the entire thing, you're ready to start.

^ this.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expect a portfolio from me some time soon to be ripped apart :D I'll be on spring break next week and I hope to have it pretty much done for the time being