Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Classic Male Scuplt

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Alemja quad damage
I've been doing some sculpting in attempt to learn the ropes of zbrush and better my understanding of anatomy. Instead of doing just a t-pose for the final version I want to do something in the same vein as classic sculptures, posed and with some drapery like so:
220px-Belvedere_Apollo_Pio-Clementino_Inv1015.jpg

Here's my progress so far, working on making sure anatomy is correct before I transpose it and then adjust muscles according the pose.
PLvXl.jpg

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    sculpt a dick on him.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Lol I haven't gotten around to it, but I will.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    PG7rI.jpg

Jumped quite a bit from my last post, the cloth is kind of a first pass. Comments and crits are always welcome.
  • tedark1
    Offline / Send Message
    tedark1 polycounter lvl 7
    I personally can't see anything wrong with him. His head does bother me but only because it looks older than what his body would have me guess him at.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    less muscles more chubby areas i'd say, look at the sculptures while they have muscles a lot of tissue is filling up the gaps inbetween giving it a way softer and younger appeal. Go in zbrush and pose him somewhat similar, place a key on a similar view and compare it in photoshop, with the key on that view you can always switch back and copy a screenshot for comparison to photoshop.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Good start on this one. I made some scribbles with few parts i think you could take a look at again:
    on the front vie you can see how much space you have left between the clavicles and the trapezoids on the back so you might have to move them closer together i believe. On the back with blue i think you should take some of that off to and with green is where i think the column of the trapezoids should be just a bit more toward the back/down and inwards toward the center of the neck forming the space between them for the 7th cv. Also the elbow might need some more work and the back of the bent knee but those are always hard to get right! I hope this was of some help.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I think the anatomy needs a lot of revisions, seems like some muscles are missing or disappearing and most have wobbly shapes.

First thing you should do is apply a full black material and look at the silhouette, the forearm should jump out at you immediately, especially in the back view, the bones don't seem to line up from the elbow to the hand, like all the muscle mass is on top and the bone at the bottom. Go over the whole body and find strange angles and proportions that don't make sense.

Drop down another level (or until you see a "pixelated" look of the lower levels) and carve out each muscles. Note that i said carve, not add material.

Once you have carved your way around anatomy and can't do anymore, subdivide and repreat the process, as more geometry is available, you'll also be able to make solid hard surface breaks between muscles (make heavy use of planar and trim type brushes!)

If you skip this step, you'll have a wonky wobbly surface, like you have now.

There is a bunch of key areas that have bone poking through the skin, those are helpful in correcting proportions and "hanging" muscles correctly, if you don't have these present in the anatomy, it takes away a lot of realism and structure.

I hope that made sense and helped somehow.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thank you all for the comments and crits they are really helpful!

Disanski and Neox adding a bit of weight and fixing joints shouldn't be too hard, thanks for pointing those out.

Psyk0, really helpful advice, thank you. The biggest problem I have trying to smooth it out is that I started it in dynamesh and this is my lowest subdivision, and going to a lower res in dynamesh was causing the hands to kind of melt together. If I have to just have to retopo it and start over, it's not that big of a deal, because I definitely see what you mean looking at it again. I probably should have started with a base mesh in the first place, but hey making mistakes, that's how you learn!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    pn9KQ.jpg

I went back and redid the muscles, I think it's starting to shape up better. I still would like to go back and pose it again, but nailing down the forms should come first. Comments and Crits appreciated.
  • RozekWracy
    Go in zbrush and pose him somewhat similar, place a key on a similar view and compare
    song3.jpgsong2.jpg
    5.jpg
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    tRx79.jpg

I think I'm calling this done for now, unless there is something that obvious that needs to be fixed. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions!
  • Fred2303
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey bud!
    heres a couple of point that i saw:
    the link btween shoulder and bicep . bicep should go more under the armpit.
    the overall shape oof the feet.
    in the back of the knee you shouldnt have those 2 "stripes" they are just there when the leg is bended.
    the clavicle should be raised
    you sould double check your refs for the upper back and the neck
    . i think that theres a couple of things in the face too but i dont see really well in those shots.
    hope this helped and im waiting for updates!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks Fred2303! That helps, I'll have to fix those and get some higher res shots of the face.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Started a female Study, I plan on doing the same type of thing, transposing the model and doing some drapery over it.
    ZhHaS.jpg

Close up of the face in case someone want to see the detail better, took the hair off since it's in the way a bit.
    Bdn8m.jpg

Also a close up of the male face since there was interest in seeing that.
    1I7XC.jpg
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    8Ugi7.jpg

e4ewJ.jpg

Finished with the female study, crits and such are always appreciated.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Do you have a reference you're following? Most lady sculpts back in the day had slim necks, arms and feet, but anything from there on towards the body was chunky and plump.

You don't have to follow the same rule, but that neck on the lady is looking really thick...someone who breaks bricks with her forehead thick.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I haven't been following any reference in particular except a bunch of pictures of real people. However I agree about the neck the muscles are too pronounced, thanks for pointing it out it's an easy fix.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Agree, the female head doesn't look at all feminine. Looks like a young man ^^.

Keep trying, you just need some time and it will be good. Women are really hard to do.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Alemja wrote: »
    I haven't been following any reference in particular except a bunch of pictures of real people. However I agree about the neck the muscles are too pronounced, thanks for pointing it out it's an easy fix.

Ah, this is one of the main problems with 'old school' sculpts. They had to exaggerate and do certain naughty things to female sculpts to really show it was a female, I guess we can blame the Greeks and Romans for the idealization of the female form since back then ;P

Hence why looking at real-life people and try to transfer them into sculpts can become a challenge.
  • teeth
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth polycounter lvl 7
    If you're going for classic greek styled sculpture, I think the shoulder/neck area needs to be less bulky and the neck needs to be elongated.

Your facial features may also be a bit off since classical features were very soft, and rounded while still being lean. You've really pushed the underlying bone and muscle structure which to me is what throws the face off from looking like a typical "David". The faces were generally very androgynous so the males were less masculine, and the females less "runway model"-esque.
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Agreeing with the female face crits: her neck needs to be slimmer for her to read like a female. The bulk is similar to the of the male's, which is giving that "young man" look.