Home General Discussion

Need opinions on Price - What would you pay for this?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
Hey there fellow PC'ers,

So the time has come for me to get a new laptop! Yes, laptop, that I will game on and create game-art on. Let me just say first and foremost, I don't need a discussion about why I will be using a laptop for doing what I do, so let's stay on topic ;)

Anyways, here are the spec's on my current laptop....What would you pay for this used Laptop?...

Dell XPS m1730

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7700, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
Video Adapter Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT (512 MB)
Memory 4GB(2x2GB) (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Integrated Web-cam 1.3 MP Camera
Optical Drive Hitachi - DVD-R/RW

At the moment, can run Skyrim at max Res (1900 x 1200) at about 35 FPS, with textures and etc all at High. No AA though.

However, a game like Battlefield 3, I have to run at low settings.

All 3D Apps work well, However; I'd like them to run better ;]

The Problems: The Optical Drive works, but sometimes its "on and off". I believe it may just be due to some dust. If I open the laptop up, it won't be a problem to clean it out.

The wireless card no longer works, which means internet access can only be gained via the ethernet port.

The Battery is completely dead. For the laptop to turn on and stay on, you must have it connected directly to an outlet.

That's it! No other problems. No dead pixels, nothing else is finicky.

If I've left out any information, don't hesistate to ask, I'd like to make an honest sale to put some money towards getting THIS...

Considering this laptop, if you have better suggestions, I'm totally open to them!

Based on what you guys say, I will be trying to sell it on Craigslist, or elsewhere.

Thanks for any time you can afford to give me on this topic.

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    To be brutally honest, I don't think you'd get much for it. The hardware is pretty dated, not to mention the dead wireless card and battery which make the laptop kind of redundant as it's not so portable any more.

I tried to sell my Alienware m17x which had far better specs than the ones you listed for $500 a few months ago with no luck. That's not saying that there isn't a buyer out there because you could sell it for the right price. However, it probably won't be for YOUR right price.

I couldn't give you a price myself, but just be prepared to sell it for less than you expected, or to just keep it around as a spare laptop.

Good luck.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Looking at ebay looks like they are going for around $300~400 in varying conditions.

@emil, where did you try and sell yours? E-bay has them selling for like $800-1000 easy.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    any time you try to do gaming on a laptop, you're going to pay over the odds for the machine, and get way less than you want when it comes to resale. that's the nature of the beast.

why not just invest in a good micro-atx desktop? they take up very little space, can be upgraded, and the price to performance ratio is somewhere between a regular desktop and a gaming laptop.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    any time you try to do gaming on a laptop, you're going to pay over the odds for the machine, and get way less than you want when it comes to resale. that's the nature of the beast.

why not just invest in a good micro-atx desktop? they take up very little space, can be upgraded, and the price to performance ratio is somewhere between a regular desktop and a gaming laptop.

I'm a very mobile freelance artist, it's easier in my situation to own a laptop.

Hmm...to be honest, I was expecting at least $550, but I hear where you guys are coming from...

Ah well, guess its better than nothing Ay? :]

Thanks for the help folks.