Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Hallway UDK #192371

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
I'm gona noob it up here and do a modular hallway set in UDK. I actually have a much larger project planned but I'm still not super familiar with all the ins and outs of UDK.

For this foray I'm really just looking to lock down a work flow from max to udk, setup proper master materials, become more familiar with some different post effects/LUT correction, static emissive lighting and just generally keeping everything nice and neat with layers and such.

I banged out a quick concept to guide me, I'll add a four way junction at some point here but I figure I'll start with these.
hallway_mod01.jpg

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Nice concept! You have some of my favourite colours there too! I look forward to more!

I always enjoy a nice sci fi corridor :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed, Orange and grey are wonderfully Sci-fi together :)

*Subscribed*
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    I might be horribly, horribly mistaken, but isnt the grid in UDK set up so that 1ft = 16units? Maybe I'm not reading your concept right but it seems like your person is less than 2 ft tall where a average UDK character is like 96-ish units if i remember correctly.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 wrote: »
    I might be horribly, horribly mistaken, but isnt the grid in UDK set up so that 1ft = 16units? Maybe I'm not reading your concept right but it seems like your person is less than 2 ft tall where a average UDK character is like 96-ish units if i remember correctly.

UDK is cm by default so at 1x grid 1uu = 1cm, in feet you end up with a crazy decimal of a unit like 15.127 uu or something. My grid spacing in the concept was at 16 so 1uu = 8uu, so the guy should be 11 not 24, which is like 6ft.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This ended up getting slightly larger but thats alright. After blocking it in I figured I should just add the extra bits so I could build out all the hallways I want!

So it broke down into 10 pieces. Everything but the door way basically got split down to be 1x1. Anything more and it can't really be used. I could probably break the floor off from the trim but that seems like it will start getting to be more work then its worth.

The coloring is for the elements in elements I'll have to keep together when I do the tiling.

isolation.jpg

and here's it all slapped together in UDK...

blockout.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice!
    It's already looking pretty damn solid. It reminds me of TimeSplitters 3 to be honest :D

I can't wait to see where you take the texturing as that could make or break this scene.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @calalot, thanks. Timesplitters now that takes me back lol.

The 3 floor chunks, getting this to tile in every direction was way more work then I expected.

floorhp.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I like the floor but my only concern is the indents seem a bit too wide. When walking on it, it looks like someone could trip on it. Other than that it looks like you got the pieces fitting together rather nicely.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    subscribed !
    like the quick clean concept you made
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it's just me, but it bothers me that the halls are capped with vertical columns negating the value of the hall silhouette.
  • riddlaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hallway_mod01.jpg[/QUOTE]

I do like that the concept is clean and easy to model from. At the same time several warning flags come up when I see it.

-If you duplicate those pieces even more, they will look too tiled, specially when looking at them from the center of the hallway. For example, the six lights on the ceiling will become 24 emissive circles just by using that piece 4 times.

-My suggestion is to make the details less repeated, and make other pieces that are cleaner to break up the detail. 2 ceiling lights not 6, 1 vent instead of 2, etc..

-Last thing is what will make this hallway unique?

My suggestion is to consider things like adding angles, curves, and more interest to your architecture. Look at modern architecture and borrow ideas. It could be curved supports, angled ceiling, maybe its not symmetrical and its open from one side, this lets the light in from an angle..

Just a few suggestions. Best of luck with your project :).
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @biofrost, thanks for the suggestion it something I thought about also. Getting it into UDK though seems like everything shrinks down due to the perspective still might go back and fill it up with another material though.

@chris, ya the pillars are not really an aesthetic choice, when I curved the walls I ended up with huge gaps on external corners and mesh clipping on internal corners. So either use something to cover it or make more walls pieces, I went with the lesser of two evils atm.

@riddlaz, thanks man appreciate the suggestions. Once I get these core parts wrapped up it will be fun to go back and start adding extra modules to break things up.

Got the main stuff baked and through some colors down on it. Door still needs to get hp'ed and I got a idea for some light fixtures I want to add.

mod_hallway.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking sick! Colors really pop and work well. I feel some really dark charcoal-ish greys would add to the depth of it, depending on the style youre after.

How did you learn about modularity and setting up the unreal units? No matter how much i read and experiment, my pieces never align correctly or the sizes are way off.

Would just sticking to 1uu = 1cm be the best bet? Then in the modelling software model everything real world rounded up to the nearest CM? Any insight you could give would be much appreciated
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great, cant wait to see it finished.

Your walls seem to curve inward a lot more then the concept suggests. I also feel a conflict between the curvyness of everything and then the straight pillers
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iWeRez, I worked 1:1 so 1uu = 1 cm, but I didn't really work in real world scale. When you bring stuff in to UDK the perspective is pretty different then what you get in max, so things 'feel' like they shrink a bit. A 7 foot doorway might looks fine in max but feels like you would bump your head in udk.

I think the best working advice I can give is always keep a frame a reference in your scene (I modeled out the dude) and scale things in relation, then export to UDK and make appropriate changes in max if it feels off.

Also why you want keep a ridged name structure and decide on a pre-pivot point so you can quickly export pieces into UDK and have them update and keep appropriate rotation/location in relation to each other. Hope that helps.

@Darkleopard, thanks man ya gotta figure some out with the pillars. Still debating what I should do atm.

..irrelevant work pic filler that I just finished.

arcade_m.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oo i love the little gaming machine that's really neat. For the screen im curious, dd you make that texture or find a picture of it?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @darkleopard, the only source texture I used on that was the wood on the floor.

First bit of texturing on this project, hopefully I can get it all wrapped up by the end of the week.

door_tex.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Its pretty obvious on the doors that you photo sourced the same texture scratches on either side, and just shifted the one side up/down. I think if you are giving each side unique texture space, then you should give it unique scratches.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jordan, from a mask but ya I need to hit it with another pass, thanks.

Still got quite a few textures to do still but got a pretty big chunk knocked out.

hall02.jpghall01.jpg
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    looking solid! I feel like your concept piece has more details that your missing in your hallway. it might read more as a functioning place if you added more little panels and vents. right now it looks more like a sci fi laser tag base because of lack of finer details.

you can easily add on to what you have. your base details are great
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff here. I really like the colors that you went with. A few critiques I would tone down the scratches a bit. Keep up the great work!
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an awesome arcade cabinet, somehow I don't think many arcades would have one like that though ;)
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I feel like I could dick around with this endlessly but I'm going to call this finished. My main goal was really to get a better understanding of UDK and I accomplished that much. Calling this finished, and moving on to bigger things.

I wanted to do a fly through cause I have a bunch of lighting/particle effects going but could not get cinematics to do anything but render a black screen.

scifi_final_02.jpgscifi_final_03.jpgscifi_final_04.jpgscifi_final_05.jpgscifi_final_08.jpgscifi_final_09.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    What an interesting and original concept, polycount member #15,548,264

Spec needs work as well as the lighting. way to ambient. makes everything look flat. Color scheme is clashing.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to do a fly through cause I have a bunch of lighting/particle effects going but could not get cinematics to do anything but render a black screen.
    Have you built the static lighting using Lightmass?

Also, I love the style, but I think you are going a bit overboard with the scratches in the Diffuse.
    Perhaps shifting that detail into the Specular map and making only a subtle change in the Diffuse map would make it seem more true to life.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    spec needs work, and the scratch detail on the corner pieces is too much, it;s very obvious there all the exactly the same, could tone it down a bit, and use some decals to add it back.