Home General Discussion

Recruiter reviews

Does anyone have any recruiters they would recommend? I have worked with one in the past and got a really sketchy vibe from them. I didn't end up taking the job from them.

Now that I am looking for work again I was considering trying them again. I did a quick search around Polycount and read some articles but alot of the companies feel really shady. I would rather try and work with one that I know people have had good experiences with.

Thanks for your thoughts.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that I am in the US but feel free to give you thoughts about any company for the benefit of everyone.

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    almost all the recruiters I've worked with have been totally unreliable.
    never actually gotten a gig from them.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Kenny (Parasite7 is his name on polycount) from Blizzard is pretty much the only recruiter I've ever met that I liked.

Most studios will try to hire people on their own so they don't have to pay a recruiter fee. Generally, you want to apply directly to the studio, unless you're trying to work at a huge company, like a first party studio at microsoft or sony.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Interactive Selection - I got my job through them (2yrs ago). All the people I dealt with appeared very professional and they really gave me good advice about my folio and resume. One of the few recruiters where I got the feeling that they knew what they were doing. Good communication and they didn't appear like the recruiters who just forget about you after 7 days. My company likes working with them too. Other UK based places like OPM, Datascope, MPC weren't too bad either. They also seemed quite competent.

The US based recruiters left no impression. I dealt with a few but I don't even remember their names. They just call you, collect your info and get back to you 6 months later. urgh.

Non US/UK recruiters I would also stay away unless you really really really want that job in this exotic location where you'd always wanted to live. But even then it seems like pure lottery style luck getting a job through them. And stay away from linkedin recruitment spammers with bad English ;)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »
    Kenny (Parasite7 is his name on polycount) from Blizzard is pretty much the only recruiter I've ever met that I liked.

+1
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage

+2
  • salman_fas
    I haven't met him but I still like him:)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I worked through Aquent for 2 years, while working on Forza3/Forza4. I had no issues with them personally, they treated me exceedingly well.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

+3

Actually I've met several recruiters, some were cool some were not. However, it sounds like you're looking for a recruiter to possibly get you jobs at various companies? Like an agent almost?

Never actually heard of that for the game industry O:
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Haiasi wrote: »
    Never actually heard of that for the game industry O:

seems to be pretty common in the UK, just check gamesindustry.biz's job section. There are many agencies searching talent for many studios.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I can recommend Conkerberry in Australia for whatever that's worth to people. I've gotten four jobs through them.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I got a job through gamejobs.se about 4 years ago. The guy in charge of the agency is a really nice guy and a great help, he even managed to get me two interviews at the same time(one of these being Grin) after me being unemployed for about a year. I'm not so sure if he's active at the moment but I do recommend the agency. It's worth a try for people wanting to work in Sweden.
  • nyx702
    I worked through Aquent for 2 years, while working on Forza3/Forza4. I had no issues with them personally, they treated me exceedingly well.

Interestingly enough the one company I was contacted by was Sakson & Taylor.... which was bought by Aquent. That was awhile ago tho.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    +4 Kenny is super cool.

I don't think he falls in line with the same type of recruiter though (I think the OP is referring more to headhunters n such).
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    The ones I tried weren't that hot to be honest. The only one I liked was a guy based in England called Sandor. He more or less hooked me up with two gigs and treated me like a hot piece of ass sorting out any issues i had.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Someone needs to set me up on a date with Parasite7, he sounds like just type of sexy/caring man I need in my life.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Much Kenny love!
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote: »
    seems to be pretty common in the UK, just check gamesindustry.biz's job section. There are many agencies searching talent for many studios.

A lot of them are independant (i.e not contracted) who just throw people at job adverts they find on places like LinkedIn.

The vast majority of recruiters drive me insane - I get contacted about this, that or the other nearly every week even though it's clear I'm not looking for work. I've found one or two to be reasonable however. The last company I had the mispleasure of working with was Ardvark Swift; they were pretty clueless.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    nyx702 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough the one company I was contacted by was Sakson & Taylor.... which was bought by Aquent. That was awhile ago tho.

Yeah, they were still Sakson & Taylor when they contacted me as well. Great experience with them though. Mlichy also worked with them (worked with me at Turn10, even).
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I remember Stealth Interactive insisted on trying to relocate me to places I didn't want to go. Then getting really upset with me when I continually turned down their arrangements to interview with studios in the middle of nowhere.

Then they went ahead and told me to create more military guys, and sports athletes, so I would be more attractive to those studios (that I told them I had no interest in working at).

Bottom line is a LOT of those headhunters are not looking out for your best interest. They are looking out for theirs, which is simply getting you moving around as often as possible so they can take their cut.

That said, I do know that the guys at 3Pod have been really good to the folks here in Montreal. They're a couple of guys most people in the Montreal Games Industry are familiar with. Fred Brassard and Pierre Luc Labbee are decent guys and actually have interest in making sure everyone is happy.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Bottom line is a LOT of those headhunters are not looking out for your best interest. They are looking out for theirs, which is simply getting you moving around as often as possible so they can take their cut.

To expand on that, they get their cut based on successfully placing you and charging a fee to the company. The most amazing thing I've had so far is one company trying to get me to go to an interview after they had already placed me and knew my 'probation period' had one week left.
  • slipsius
    Everyone is suggesting Kenny, but he isn't even a recruiter anymore...

and ya, I'm pretty sure the OP was asking for head hunters. someone who will look around for jobs for them, not just a recruiter for ONE company.
  • Visualante
    Most recruiters in the UK have been quite rude and dismissive of me as a graduate. Some told me they're not interested in anyone without experience on a AAA game. Others were more reasonable claiming that companies can recruit these sorts of positions directly.

Heard a lot of good things about Escape Studios in London, though they seem to take a big cut of the salary.
  • nyx702
    ambershee wrote: »
    The most amazing thing I've had so far is one company trying to get me to go to an interview after they had already placed me and knew my 'probation period' had one week left.

0____0 wow
    I'm pretty sure the OP was asking for head hunters. someone who will look around for jobs for them, not just a recruiter for ONE company.

Yea I was looking for reviews of companies just as a resource. If someone knows someone awesome I guess it doesn't hurt to drop their name/contact if they want too.
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the love in this thread.

I use to be a sourcer/recruiter for a 3rd party agency. I would be careful about working with a recruiting agency. Many agencies do not understand art and will throw your resume/portfolio to companies that have an open position that matches your interest. I do think 3rd party agencies are helpful if you are an art director, art manager, a lead or an award winning artist. Agencies tent to focus on engineering since that is not a subjective profession (or at least the spectrum is not as wide). Many agencies will say that their is no cost to you and they only get paid by the company if you get hired. While this is true, this may still cost you a job for multiple reasons. For instance, say you have 2 years of experience and a recruiting agency sent your information to a company for review. Even if they like your work, they may not hire you because they would have to pay a % fee for someone that is potentially considered an associate artist. Here is the kicker, if that game company hires you within a year (some contracts may be longer or shorter), the game company will still have to pay that % fee to the recruiting agency. This is why you should only work with a trusted recruiter who will not spam your resume to every company they know.

My recommendation is to do this yourself at this stage in your career. You should take the act of looking for a job as a full time job. Do your own research on different companies. What are you looking for? Is it location? A company that makes games you like? A studio that is stable? All of the above? Also, make sure you have artwork that is relevant for the company that you apply to. Don't send a WW2 tank model to Blizzard Entertainment for example. Try and match the style and content that the company is working on. This is almost like taking a test for the company without getting an official art test. This will also show the hiring manager(s) that you are really interested in the company.

You should also enter contests and continue to post art work on various forums. Who knows, someone may contact you.

Good luck!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    ^^^ Droping the Logic.

/Team Kenny
  • nyx702
    Thanks so much for you opinions and thoughts guys. This has given me alot to think about.