Home General Discussion

best console for online co-op with gf.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Hi guys, bit of a weird topic, but I figure I could try asking here:

Me and my girlfriend live in different countries since I moved to London. She's decided she wants to pick up a console to play games against me since that's more fun than just skyping, and she's seen me play online against my friends with Xbox Live. So she mentioned buying a 360...
Thing is, she doesn't like violent shooting games and, it seems like pretty much all the online coop games are like this for Xbox!
Now I was thinking in the direction of a Wii, due to some people here being crazy over Monster Hunter Tri (she says that looks fun). But then my friend tells me Wii online play is pretty sad...

So my question is: what would be our best choice? A console (her laptop is a tiny netbook, so pc is out of the question) that has a decent selection of female-friendly games. No Gears, Halo kind of things, but she would be ok with fantasy themes (she played WoW for a short while). Being able to select a female character is a huge plus lol.

I'm afraid we're gonna struggle to find more than a few games for Xbox (I can think of Portal 2, Viva Pinata), we want to do this for about 1.5 yrs till she's finished her studies. Wii seems terrible on the MP front (no voice chat) and I don't want to have to fumble with crappy UI all the time.

any advice ?

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    what about that new lara croft one... i forget the name. but that's for XBLA and it's pretty fun co-op, it has some puzzles. I think it's not too violent and it's stylized, so you could probably pass it as a fantasy game lol

EDIT:

it's for PSN as well. Yeah, go with ps3? it has Fat Princess :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
    Urmm thats a hard one ill agree with that,

Even though you said no shooters L4D is quite a casual sort of game or am i just chatting sh*t? :P

Your looking for games like N+ maybe thats quite a nice one, What about Saints row, as much as that has guns she could literally just have fun running people over or flying vehicles?

GTA is another one that i found myself hardly ever shooting in, Minecraft for Xbox, if its out yet, urmmmmmm is MAgicka on XBox i can't remember, urmmm if i think of anymore, FAIRLY useful suggestions ill be sure to tell you about them no matter how bad :P
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I think you two might enjoy a PS3 more. I don't own one because the exclusives don't appeal to me (minus uncharted), but my roommate has one and, from what I can tell, it would be pretty fun for you two. Little Big Planet is one to look into (not sure about online play?), that mod nation game (I think that's what it's called?), portal (as you said), etc. It seems like there is more titles there, I just can't think of them all.

Sorry to cut this short... in a hurry.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think the xbox is probably the best choice, if you already have one. Problem is, I'm not sure how many of the games I'm thinking of, offer online multiplayer. I'm thinking of games like kinect sports, the family fun night series, and Scene It. My family loves to play the Scene It series, and it's probably the only game my wife likes. A quick search revealed Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing with Banjo Kazooie as a mario kart type game. Again, not sure how many of these are online multiplayer though

I guess my point it, there are plenty of non-violent games for the xbox, but you have to look a little harder.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I had a similar issue of trying to find games to play with a previous girlfriend. I prefer more hardcore games, and she loved playing SIMS 2. I just couldnt lower myself to her level...

Later I brought down my old SNES and we had tons of fun playing games like Mario Kart and Kirby Super Deluxe. I think Nintendo still do really well for creating fun, casual co-op, but yeah if the online is poor, then oh well... If she gets an xbox, maybe you should look into kinect games as they tend to be more focused on the casual market? Or else theres loads of fun approachable games on xbox arcade and indie.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I don't want to play devils advocate here but I've found MMO's are pretty good. My fiancee and I have played WoW/Rift together for the past few years (despite often being in the same room) and it can be great fun. Plenty of communication opportunity, and it can be as hardcore or as casual as you like... hope on for a couple hours, do a few quests together etc.

I know there's a stigma attached to WoW if you haven't played before, but it's become so casual friendly now that the 'hardcore only' attitude is more or less irrelevant now. I'm one of the few who seemed to have had a healthy relationship with the game for the few years I've played, and I still really enjoy it, you can jump on for half an hour and mess around for a bit, or you can have an intense 5 hour session.

Obviously that's gonna be on a PC but I've found there's so much to do in MMO's (crafting, PVP, quests, dungeons etc) that there's something for everyone... including girls ;). You also won't need some crazy top-end rig to run WoW (or Rift, to a lesser extent).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, wow so many reactions already!

Just some notes:
    -It has to be online! That's the whole point, some things suggested here are splitscreen, but that's not of much use to us!
    -Zombie stuff like L4D is an absolute no, she gets nightmares from just watching me play those games.
    -pc MMO stuff is not that appropriate I think, we just want something for an hour or two every evening + I really prefer not to sit in front of the PC after doing that at work all day.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    My girlfriend loves Scott Pilgrim (she loved the comics as well). She also loves Critter Cruncher for PS3.

Most of the best casual download games are on both systems. Settlers of Cattan is something we play with my brother.

In person she loves playing the Mario Bros game with me. She loves playing Little Big Planet with her friends (I personally really dislike that game).

We also do the occasional fruit ninja, and scrabble on the iphone.
  • kemny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a girl who was introduced to modern consoles mostly by playing with her boyfriend, here are my suggestions :)

My boyfriend has an Xbox, I have a PS3. I think you could find good choices on either.

I'm going to try to list these games from least intense to most intense. One thing that was hard for me when I started playing online is other people are so good, when a controller isn't second nature to you yet, this can be very frustrating and make the whole thing feel like a chore (I felt this way a few years back trying Gears of War and Halo) That being said, a little practice and it won't be intimidating anymore.

- Lego series of games (the one I have only has local co-op, though)
    - Little Big Planet (great game, great online co-op, cuteness overload!) - PS3 Exclusive
    - Rachet & Clank All 4 One (this is a solid choice, probably the most suited for what you are looking for)
    - ModNation Racers (Mario Kart-esque, online co-op, fun customization) - PS3 exclusive
    - Rayman Origins (I've only played the demo, but this is awesome co-op. Don't know if it's only local play though :/)
    - Might & Magic: Clash of Heros - this random choice has hands down become our favorite co-op to play. Easy for someone new to games, my roommate is addicted as well (she refuses to play any other game I own). It's more like a board game, but the strategy can be really addictive and fun. Don't underestimate, try the demo!

For me, I don't mind violence that isn't excessively gory, and the things I mostly didn't like about shooters were: 1) the learning curve, 2) inability to see things sneaking up on me made me really anxious. If you think your gf may feel the same way, here are some more games that I've enjoyed. It helps that they tend to have great stories and play out more like movies:

- Assassin's Creed Series
    - Uncharted Series (closer to a shooter, of course, but the parkour elements and cutscenes might make it worth it. Would not recommend the online play for starting out though)
    - Skyrim (She likes fantasy!)
    - Final Fantasy
    - L.A. Noire
    - Soul Calibur Series

Note that not all of these are co-op...but my bf and I have had a lot of fun "competing" to get through a game, unlock certain trophies, etc. on our seperate playthroughs. We've also skyped and played single player games at the same time. Sometimes to make a game special we promise only to play it with each other.

Sorry for writing a book, I hope some of it is helpful at least! I'll try to add more as I think of them, I know I'm forgetting some of the very first games I played on xbox that would be good "gateway" games :P
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    mmos are great. but there are a few good coop games for xbox.

-Renegade Ops
    -Army of 2 (one of my fav coops)
    -Kane and Lynch (also one of my fav coops)
    -Red dead redemption
    -Racing games are awesome (I like the new need for speed, the run)
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    Portal 2 is a must, lego games are pretty good co-op.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get a Wii And Super Smash brothers brawl, And MH Tri the fun never ends with those 2
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Trine 2 is a game suggestion. Haven't played it yet, but I've played the 1st one locally(only local co-op in the 1st, but online in the second).

Some of the most fun co-op I've had.

ps3 xbox pc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQIYs-s6gA&feature=related
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm so glad I started a topic here!

So her dad just said he's giving her his old 360, so that's pretty much decided!

Kemny, great post, very helpful! Nice to hear that you eventually got into it. Too bad so many of your suggestions are for ps3..

Slipsius, while i really like those games (especially renegade ops) she really won't be into them. Racing might work though, but I generally find those games not to have much lasting appeal in MP.

Trine 2 is a great suggestion, looks perfect and I know one of my female friends loved the first one.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    my girlfriend tried Little Big Planet quite a few years ago and liked it.. after that I hooked her on the hard stuff, World of Warcraft :)

tried different games after that, Plants VS Zombies worked for a bit, don't know if that works online though? co-op I mean..

Worms Armageddon might be her favorite PS3 game though hehe :)
    it's simple enough I guess.. blow the shit out of each other
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will find everything you want in XBLA games.

Splosion Man is a must.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Does she like fighting games? For some reason girls are awesome at them (superior patience + memory?). Soul Caliber is probably the most accessible series across the board (not gory, not combo-centric or massively complex). Good learning curve too, you can be quite successful without ever learning any real 'moves.'

Castle Crashers is a fantastic choice for online co-op. Castlevania HD might be a little 'hardcore' in difficulty, but is another good "pick up and play for a bit" online co-op game. One or two of the Final Fantasy games are online aren't they?

Crimson Alliance is a good hack and slash that can be very casual on lower difficulty levels. Maybe a little gory though? The first game I ever played with my Fiance was Mortal Kombat Deception though (her choice, she kicked my ass), so I guess that's a matter of perspective.

D&D Daggerdale is co-op online (diablo esq fantasy hack and slash/rpg). Ms. Splosion man is co-op I believe.

Rockband has online multiplayer, if you're into music games. Hm...Final Fight Double Impact is some fun oldschool arcade beat 'em up action that you can play online.

I know these are all available for 360, many are probably also on ps3 though.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Xoliul wrote: »
    -pc MMO stuff is not that appropriate I think, we just want something for an hour or two every evening + I really prefer not to sit in front of the PC after doing that at work all day.

I hear ya, and I agree. The single reason I'm not more into PC gaming is because to me, as a kid growing up with NES and a Gameboy, gaming is about lounging on the couch, not in an office chair at a desk 6 inches from your screen.

Which is why we play MMO's on laptops! I've got a middle of the road laptop and it handles WoW / Rift just fine. The reason I think an MMO is a good choice over other game types is the longevity and persistent gameplay. You say you want to occupy yourselves for 18 months... That's a lot of games to find assuming they each take 8 - 10 hours to play through. With an MMO, you have all the content you need for as long as you like.

I recommend you at least give it a shot, I think you'll both love it!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (the game I think Alberto Rdrgz was thinking about) is AMAZING. My GF and I played the crap out of that.

Another good XBLA is "Trenched." Its a 3rd person mech real time tower defense. Its does have lots of shooting but you can dress your character up in fancy outfits. I have heard girls like that.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ssx is out in a week or so and has what appears to be a pretty slick online mode, also borderlands is a must to co-op through.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another thought on the 360 (since she'll have one now)... they have that feature, where you can watch movies together. You can create a 'party' and hear each other, as you watch the movie.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will find everything you want in XBLA games.

Definitely. My girlfriend gets the urge to try playing games with me every now and then, but shooters and the like are a little too complicated for her to control, so we'll occasionally pick out a few XBLA games.

She really liked Castle Crashers, so maybe give that a shot.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    also borderlands is a must to co-op through.

My GF doesn't like (and isn't very good) at shooters but oddly out of any game she has played Boardlands the most.

I wish another Baulder Gate would come out :( That was another great co-op game.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Playstation since it's free unlike XBL
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    nyx702 wrote: »
    I wish another Baulder Gate would come out :( That was another great co-op game.

god, i've had some good ass times playing thru Baldur's gate co-op!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Oh man, you gotta find a girl that loves shooters. Some of the most fun I've ever had is playing L4D 1 & 2 and Borderlands for hours upon hours with my lady :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Follow these steps

Gf -> wife
    wife lokation -> your location
    => "coop play" = sex

otherwise you can always hit some crappy coop flash games on facebook
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    +1 for Castle Crashers. It's the only game me and the missus have ever finished in Coop.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Playstation since it's free unlike XBL

I would agree, but since it wasn't mentioned, I was assuming he didn't have one already, which would be a hefty investment to buy one for both of them :/

XBL is one of the reasons I don't use my xbox anymore. They've tied almost everything to it.

It doesn't matter though. He's already said she'll be getting an XBox for free, so it's a done deal.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not considering PS3 since it's so expensive. Wii is cheap so that's why it was an option.
    And XBL cost really is not that bad: I buy 12m cards on eBay for 35 euros and I can buy one for her as well.

I think we'll start building things up a bit, keep the more difficult controls for once she gets used to it (like diving straight into Portal 2 will be too hard for her).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know what you're dealing with. My wife was only use to the old atari joysticks. 1 control, 1 button. She has issues with the controllers with more than one button. That's why she likes Scene it. They have that one giant button, then select one of the 4 smaller buttons, for an answer. Scene It? Box Office Smash has online multiplayer support (according to amazon). I don't think the older editions have online support though.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Some people have mentioned Castle Crashers, there's also classic brawlers like Simpsons arcade and the Xmen arcade on both PSN and XboxLive.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    If you guys ever play side-by-side, SNES is one of the best consoles for that!

Super Mario Kart is probably the best entry (and non-entry) level co-op games!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    oh man! YES YES YES. totally forgot about lego games. Seriously, they are fantastic for coop. ALOT of fun. I like the indiana jones ones the best, but I havent played all of them yet.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    me and my lady enjoyed resident evil 5 and borderlands and mario party : ]
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    me and my wife play all the lego games together. perfect for co-op. army of two was ok too. Red dead is a fav of hers to play together. Oh and crimson alliance is pretty fun. we bumrushed through that pretty quick though.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    You can't coop the lego games online though, can you?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Laurens!

Check out
    http://www.co-optimus.com/topgames.php

Would be fun to browse the list with your gf and check out which ones you're both interested in use that to sway your decision!
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Castle Crashers is a great coop game on XBLA. The must IMO, is really Portal 2 though
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you say she's not into violent games/shooters but.... My wife loves playing L4D2, simply because she can beat zombies with a frying pan. Maybe in time she'll warm up to it, mention the frying pans. =P

Portal2 is certainly a fun co-op game, but relies so heavily on reflexes and fine motor skills, so probably best to wait a bit before jumping into that. Its a bit of a mind fuck to someone that isn't used to moving around in 3d space.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Since you asked for games with online component for the X360, and not local, here is my list, you're mileage may vary since I don't own a console so I'm not sure if said version of the game has an online variable on the console.

Trine 1/2
    Mr./Ms. Splosion Man
    Castle Crashers
    Fable 2/3
    Schizoid
    Viva Pinata
    Rock Band
    Gatling Gears
    Lego Series
    Lara Croft Guardian of Light
    Portal 2
    Worms Series
    Burnout Series
    Guitar Hero
    N+

Looking back on the list, it's seriously barebones. I'm surprised more non-violent games don't have online components.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Yea portal 2 seems like a good pick if you are getting a ps3 or xbox or what ever.
    Ever consider minecraft?
    That is a generally easy game to process for a netbook.
    Hell even something like gmod or synergy.

Lost planet 2 is a great game to play. It isnt too violent since its the typical "shoot until HP is 0" until the enemy explodes into orange goo.
    It should be nicely priced now too since the game is a little old.
    Fable 2 even.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    Kemny, thanks for that list, that helps alot. I'm sort of in the same situation, my girlfriend is curious about games, which caught me off guard. She doesn't like violence or thinking too hard with them. Mindless ones have worked great.

Only success so far is that she loves rayman origins which is really fun. The slapping eachother part really helps. Going to try little big planet next
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fable 3 looks great, you can play as male or female and even get married with each other apprently, lol. I bet she'll like that.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Even though the games have been mentioned, here are some online co-op games I've played which I'd suggest for 360/PC:

Dungeon Siege I / II / III
    Castle Crashers
    Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light
    Fable 2
    Trine 1 / 2
    Titan Quest (+expansions)
    Sacred 2

Titan Quest / Dungeon Siege 1+2 / Trine are the PC games but they're great fun and don't require a heavy spec :)