Home Featured Artwork

Everyone gets one! AR-15 / VLTOR M4!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
EDIT:

LATEST IMAGE:

FINISHED! Also made some animations:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGaH3EzZ8KY"]M4 VLTOR - FPS Weapon Animation - - YouTube[/ame]

M4VltorFinal.jpg

wire.jpg

flats.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

So I've had an m4 blocked out for like a year and I never went with it. Some weeks ago I decided to actually make a high poly of it and finish my first ever real high poly weapon. :)

m4ticket.jpg

Every 3d artist gets one! At some point in our lives that lightbulb in our head comes on we say to ourselves "you know what the game art world really needs? Another M4!" Well here's mine!

Here is where I'm at with the high poly so far:

vltorm4wip1.jpg

vltorm4wip2.jpg

It's mostly done but there are some missing bits (for instance, the clamp thing-a-ma-jigs on the mounts and the rear folding sight), and bits that I want to clean up so the aliasing wont be too bad. (Like the adjusting things on the aimpoint scope, changing the grippy bit (yeah, get ready for more jibberish because I can't think of the names) to much thicker indents.)

I'm not too anal about accuracy (as long as it looks nice overall and clearly resembles the right parts, I'm making my own adjustments where I want to) but if you could let me know what you think and throw some comments, suggestions/crits that would be cool. :) I'll be making a low poly out of this too, and will consider doing a little bit of animation. I used to really enjoy animating first person weapons ages ago and It will be nice to play around with it.

I have made some adjustments to make life a little bit easier though, like making the rail in a way that will allow me to bake it in fewer polygons and avoid aliasing, and I made the barrel freakin' long so it would actually show up in the first person view (also the barrel will most likely be re done as it's very bland at the moment.

Thinking about adding a flashlight to the bottom rail but it might be a bit much.

A couple things:

-I'm very aware of the bad edges along the bottom of the rail in the middle and will be fixing them
-Magpul looks a bit off at the moment, may change that
-Some edges may get softened up because I realise they may not come out too well in a bake.
-Some of the floaters will get replaced / modelled into the mesh (like the ones on/near the stock)

Updates soon! :)

edit:

Also, thinking a bit far ahead but I think I'll probably go with snow camo, nobody ever makes snow camo weapons anymore. :(

..Maybe

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something screwy is going on with your top rails
    it looks like a normal map and not real rail indentations

would be nice if lonewolf dropped by to crit you. he's done a lot of gun stuff and super detailed M4 already
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing that intentionally though, As I want to bake them down to one mass. If people find it too weird I may change it.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I'm doing that intentionally though, As I want to bake them down to one mass. If people find it too weird I may change it.

Why? when its such a prominent detail from FPV, and, if you're sure you wanna do that, you could bake it solid without the "fillers" anyway...
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    the mesh is clean and nice! i like it!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    I dont think your rail solution will bake realistically. What i did with my m4 is i just made the rail on the high poly as it should be, and then baked it down on to one single piece, and it looked very good.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hipoly model looks really nice. Presentation looks great too, anything special about your rendering technique? The grip could use some texture though, like this.
    M4-GRIP-lg.jpg
    or maybe something a bit fancier like this?
    ka-tg-05.jpg
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    Wow looks great so far, how did you UV such a hp model?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    That there is a nice chunky looking AR. I second the snow camo, not something you see too much of.

You know what'd be cool? Doing a crazy awesome painted diffuse for this thing.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Endr wrote: »
    Wow looks great so far, how did you UV such a hp model?
    who said he UV'd it?
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great but yeah I'd change the grip even though it's covered by the hand.

What you have now looks like the Tangodown, (http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/TDBG16.gif)

Just looks slightly blocky IMO.

Also, hard to tell, but can you post a front/rear photo as the receiver/grip area kinda looks a bit thick. Maybe it's just the perspective.

The front grip is really too thin, it'd be quite not comfy after a while. ( http://tactical-mod.ca/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/d/tdlongfg-folg-1.jpg)

Lastly, I think the forward area (Barrel and flashhider) could use a bit more details :)

Aimpoint and Magnifier are crazy good looking!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. wrote: »
    I dont think your rail solution will bake realistically. What i did with my m4 is i just made the rail on the high poly as it should be, and then baked it down on to one single piece, and it looked very good.

Do not agree at all, then you're getting totally random ray hits as you have large gaps in the model. What he's doing makes a whole lot more sense. He can also easily create a color mask from the bits modeled into the cutouts, and make those areas black in the texture. Personally though I would exaggerate some nice fat bevels there, as just placing a little box in there means not much interesting edge detail.

Generally I would model the rails into the lowpoly myself, but you've got scopes and sights obscuring much of the rail so its not a big deal. On the other hand. you could simply model in the rail cutouts that will be seen and optimize the ones that sit under the attachments, shouldn't add much at all to the total tri count. I always try to model rails in properly unless I have a really low tri budget.

Overall the model looks great, nice clean and accurate modeling. I would like to see some fatter edges, exaggerate some elements for a little more pop and to have a bit more variance on your edge widths in general to differentiate the different material types, but thats getting pretty nit-picky.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your gun looks awesome ^^
    I'm calling zebra print on this, would look awesome ;)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    So... you can just do everything then?
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reference photo's???
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That looks fantastic. I agree that maybe you have left some areas sparse of detail - the right side of the gun, and the grip particularly - but you have great shapes everywhere it counts, ie. what the player will actually see of the gun.

Saved to inspiration folder!
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're the guy who made that Mario/Luigi intro screen thing, which makes you a badass. Keep working!
  • kyle.rau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    Saw this in the WAYWO thread and was going to suggest to add the folding mechanism of the one scope but I see here that you know that :)

I agree with EQ too, but I bet you could get away with just baking the rail cutouts. The ones you modeled are not too steep/deep. I've seen some in-game weapons that do this and you can't tell they're flat in FPV.

Looking awesome though! Can't wait to see how you texture style comes into play with a realistic weapon.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work so far man! Nice to see you changing it up from characters. Got an eye on this. ;)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    LRoy wrote: »
    So... you can just do everything then?

+1. Yeah, wutt :0

Anyway, I think this looks real nice :) as far as technical execution goes, but I'm not a gun person so I can't crit much on functionality/accuracy or anything. Keep going! :D
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I wouldn't say this is 'another' m4,because this one is sexy as hell :) a couple of things I noticed, the front grip looks a little skinny, the mag pull looks a little short (doesn't extend up the clip enough), and as mentioned your grip could use some more detail. I'm no gun nut though so my points may all be invalid! Nice work
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    the mag has a weird bend or am I mistaken?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

You are right about the grip, I will change it to something a little more interesting. I'll probably pick one with grooves in it as I like the larger details.

@ nicafornica

yeah one of the sides are a little too straight at the moment.

More soon-ish-maybe-kinda.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know what's going on with this edge after a turbosmooth?

shittyedge.jpg

it's not a double edge either, the 2 meshes are the same. :(
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    did you crease it?
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Not sure what modeling tool you're using, but I had this problem one time in Max... I think I just selected the polygons of that object by element, then detached it from that element. Seemed to fix the problem.
    -I would also select all of the verts in that area and weld it. :3
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    If you're using Max then I'd think it was what Boyso said. Looks like the edge has been creased.

Simple fix if that's what it is. The hp is looking nice so far though. What's your rendering set-up?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh...I've never used crease before, now that's interesting. :)

But that still doesn't solve it, and there was no creasing to begin with. No additional edges to weld and i've tried resetting x-form and I'm still getting this weird result. :(

For rendering I'm just using a Skylight with a mid red color, a couple omni's and the scanline renderer, tried mental ray but I swear it just blurs to fuck out of everything and it ends up looking nothing like the model in the viewport.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what the..

Ok, problem solved, when I said before that welding didnt solve it that was because I was only attempting to weld geometry around the area of the problem, selected all and welded and it got rid of it. It was one vert causing the problem, instead of accepting it and moving on, I looked for that damn vert and found it on the other side of the model with no connection whatsoever to the affected edges, not even close.. Even when I collapsed it manually it didn't fix it, only using weld fixed it, which makes no sense... it's the same result. :)

Oh Max, you silly goose.

(But that still doesnt explain why when I detached the affected polygons it didn't help, I guess Max is just weird.)

Well, thanks for the help!

edit:

ah sorry, double post
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. :)

--

Kinda dissapointed that I didn't get more done over the weekend but hey ho. I spent a bit of time going back and fixing some proportions and what not so it's a bit more appealing in the first person view. Also gave it a more interesting barrel, but that isn't really visible in these shots.

Still got to clean up some edges which are too sharp, and fix a bit more stuff on the other side, but nearly there.

fps1.jpg

fps2.jpg

Happier that the barrel is more visible in the first person view now.

Threw in some super old hands for the sake of it. :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    0_0 damn fletch it would be so cool for you to create some animations for this, thats a sexy hipoly man
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to say your rear sight post is backwords. I could be mistaken if you have references but I own that rear sight apature. If your going for realism then I'd suggest flipping it so the pressure release can be easily accessed by the left hand. Also your selecter lever and bolt release don't seem thick enough, again that is hard to say without seeing your references.

(i'm sure the flip up probably won't be used but I'm nit picky about rifles and firearms. Common sense dictates law in warfare.)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    totally looks like a gun dude! : D Man, i cant crit guns, its probably great and some bolts are probably wrong or something as the gun nuts point out, haha. But it looks good to me :D
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    that render looks tasty om nom nom nom

u have some inaccuracies but who cares it looks cool :D

but one thing ill point out is that those magnifiers are suppose to flip side way, and your mount looks locked, if ya wanna change.. :D
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    So beautiful fletch :D
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know much about guns, but I does look badass. Great job man.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@ lonewolf

Thanks man. :) I agree about the folding mount, and wanted to do one but I found it hard to find decent ref that wasn't cluttered with lots of other stuff, or a very specific model, from multiple angles. Do you have any good ref from multiple angles including before and after folding?

@ JoshC That rear folding sight can go on either way according to the references I gathered, I may flip it around though so the sight is actually visible, instead of the base blocking it. :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. :)

Well I went for that one, I've started it so far, but I think I'm also gonna have to make an lt-129 for the scope in front as well, just for consistency. As I don't really like how the different mount shapes are looking together on the sides at the moment. Should look cleaner afterwards. :)

foldingmount1.jpg
    foldingmount2.jpg

Just gotta redo these scope mounts, make a more interesting grip, maybe a few minor proportion tweaks then I'm gonna get started on a low poly. :)
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I'd love to see this with a photo-mockup instead of just the grey backdrop. Maybe with heavy DoF? Some context might be nice. Looks fantastic though, and I love your rendering style!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking mighty sweet, Fletcher. Henceforth "Admit one per artist, but make it look this good". Did prefer the tan to blue, though!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back to 'ze M4! :)

Did a bit more tonight, I added more to the mag, cleaned up quite a few edges, fixed some scale issues in various places and did the remaining pieces

m4vltor_hp1.jpg

Other side is still rather simple, but I'm not too fussed, I wanna focus on first person stuff.

m4vltor_hp2.jpg

I'm gonna start on a low poly tomorrow hopefully.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Nice stuff man. Glad to see you can swing both ways. Cartoony and realistic that is :D
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap mang this is the tits!!!
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    Hey great looking model man, super excited to see it baked down, I'm curious about your material and render setting for your HP renders, any insight would be great. Keep up the good work!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet job :)
    Would also like to get some info about your render setup and materials, fun to see how others do it.
    Spotted what might be some pinching, don't know if it's even worth to fix ;)
    BUdJS.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think an even better solution to the pinching on the grips is to simplify those thin gaps out. There wouldn't be a good way to model them in the lowpoly so that it projects well.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know you're missing the taped grip right?
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Phew... I think now we all feel better... :D
    mariom4world.jpg

Really nice model. I really like the way you handled the edges. There are lots of really hard to make shapes on the gun, but you pulled it off. As for the pinching there that Stromberg90 pointed out... well I know you know what to do about that so I'm not going to say anything about it. :) Hope you'll post some wires soon. Really nice render btw. I'll try it out on my weapon that I'm going to start modeling. Looking forward to seeing the final hp and low poly with normals.
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmmm... M4 is looking awesome. You should put a tactical light and maybe a laser on it was well (I prefer the PEQ-15) but she is looking great without. Can't wait to see the bake.