Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My character model I'd like feedback on

Admiral Skye
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Admiral Skye polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone, I'm a college student studying game art. It's been a few months since I've finished my basic 3d and character design classes and I've been practicing making characters but I never quite liked how they turned out. I think this model I'm posting here is somewhat decent and I'd like some feedback so I can improve on this and future models. The textures are mostly flat colors for now and I'll get working on them soon. However, I always thought textures were my weakest point. All I do is color everything flat and then use a transparent brush with no hardness to paint the different shades. I've been looking for tutorials to help me in this part but I haven't found any that would help me.
2cxat77.jpg

Replies

• s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what do you want feedback on? A bit more info would be helpful. If you want crits for your geometry layout then it would be helpful to post wireframes. If you want general crits for your forms/shapes then a few more angles of the model. You mention that your textures are still just flat colors so I'm assuming you don't want feedback about those. So yeah, just a bit more info.

As for some help with the texture painting - the polycount wiki has some very useful stuff. and after a second of digging there you can find super helpful links like this - http://www.gameartisans.org/gamecon/tutorials/tut_2.htm
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I wasn't more specific, I'm kind of nervous posting here, it's my first time posting my stuff online. I guess I kinda want general feedback, does the character look fine? Is she anatomically correct? I guess I'll post the wireframe too. She's currently 7884 tris. Thanks for the link, I think I'll ask for texture feedback after I work on it, but I guess for now I want to know if the model is ok, I tend to make really creepy looking faces sometimes.
    1687rrd.png11rexio.png
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, no worries... and don't be afraid to post, after all what's the worst that could happen?
    Anatomically speaking yeah she looks alright, looks like you're going for a stylized girl in her early teens? Her brow does look a bit funky/heavy, but that might be a style choice.

Geometry-wise your poly distribution is pretty rough. Like those folds in the skirt you could just do in the texture instead of with geometry. The hands are super dense. Are those alpha cards for the boot laces? You can get rid of that bevel on the boot soles. Pull some edge loops out from around her eyes and mouth. Put that geometry into smoothing out those goggles and adding a bit more geometry into her shoulders so they'll deform better. Reduce her ears and personally I'd make her more of a continuous mesh instead of the separate pieces you have - it can help with texturing as well as rigging and animation down the road.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, right now I'm combining parts, I haven't started my rigging and animation classes so I wasn't sure what was efficient. I guess for the skirt I'll extrude the shirt. I'll probably work on reducing the polycount on the hands and ears and increasing the some of the other lower poly parts.And yes, those alpha cards are for the boot laces, do I keep them or do I make the laces in the boot's texture? I'll probably post an update on the geometry tomorrow.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    25ho2s6.jpg

Also, everything s33th said.
  • LW3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LW3
    dirigible - you see, I joined this site just to pick up little tips like that. Good catch.

Also, me too, everything s33th said.
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update on my model. Some of the changes I did was make the pants, legs, and boots a single mesh; make the head, bandanna, goggles, and shirt a single mesh, remove the high poly skirt and replaced it with with an extrusion from the bottom of the shirt, lowered the polycount on the ears and hands, increased the poly count on the shoulders and goggles, fixed the mouth like Dirigible said. With these changes I lowered the tri count by 2002. Any other changes anyone would recommend or is it safe to continue with the textures?

2n15dtf.jpg
    f81lc.jpg
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call dirigible, I missed that on first glance.

Well, I got a bit carried away on this one. Don't take any of this as gospel, just suggestions.
    paintover1.jpg

The shoulder layout I'd carry all the way around the shoulder so each of those loops remains separate from the others for deformation purposes.
    The torso area was to smooth out the sort of blocky forms you had in the chest and back.
    The mouth and eye I'd pull out the loops that aren't contributing much to the form. I added an extra line coming from the corner of the mouth. This is really helpful when animating/rigging so even when her mouth is wide open she'll still maintain that crease at the corner of her lips.
    Added a bit more at the outer corner of her eye so when it's time to animate she can squint a bit.
    For further reading - http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology

General rule of thumb when to use alpha. Things that alter the silhouette and would take far more geometry to model than to use transparency - like hair, or if you added a frilly edge to her skirt. In the case of the shoe laces though they're such a minor detail and don't break up the silhouette that it would be better just to texture them onto the model.

...and that's the end of my novel. It's definitely getting there... and this way you'll be ahead of the game when you get to your rigging/animation courses.
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the changes close to what you suggested. I did the shirt and eye changes just like the image you made but I had a bit of difficulty with the mouth. I only removed one of the loops around the lips instead of both because removing both changed the shape of the mouth. I also made some changes that weren't in your image because I broke some loops.

So far, thanks for all of your help s33th and Dirigible.
    1622yj8.jpg
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I updated this, but I added a new set of texture
    2mx0tx2.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Welcome to Polycount!

I believe the change to the color scheme of her costume is a vast improvement! :thumbup: When I first viewed the images it was the first thing I wanted to mention. Good call.

Before you continue with textures you may want to take a bit of time to look up some reference images for her clothing. I highly suggest doing some clothing and fold studies. Think about what materials she's wearing and find reference images on them. Images of leather boots, cotton shirts, denim, glass goggles, etc.

What texture style are you shooting for? Strictly hand-painted, semi-realism, etc? Try collecting references of already textured characters that are done in the same sort of texturing style you are going for.

I know it's at a very early stage, but would you mind posting your texture flats so we can take a look?

Here's a couple links/info I've found super helpful about color, materials, and painting:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm - uber painting tut
    http://www.manufato.com/?p=902 - material/spec tut
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials - polycount texture wiki
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the diffuse map
    w8kbyw.jpg
    I'm going for hand-painted right now, though I wouldn't mind learning realistic painting later on. And thanks for the tips and links, I'll try to improve as much as I can.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the UV layout you should straighten out a lot of those pieces and they would pack a lot better and allow you to use more of the pixels in the texture.

The fingers don't need to be fanned out, they could be brought together with minimal stretching in areas where it doesn't matter. It would also mean that the UV seams have similar colors on their boarders which will help keep the background color from bleeding into the viewable area on the model. Better packing, better seams, win, win.

Straightening out the purple strips and other semi-straight pieces will allow you to paint on them easier as well as pack better with minimal stretching.
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of like this?
    205fd6s.jpg
    I was looking at other diffuse maps to kind of get an idea of what to straighten out.
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I textured with the new UV map. I was looking at other hand painted cloth, but they don't seem to have any major details. Is there any changes I should make?
    r8dlci.jpg
    52bapv.jpg
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like it could use a bit more contrast, try painting in some subtle lighting.

One thing you could try doing is painting over a screenshot of your model as if it were a 2d image, then see how you could adapt that into your textures.
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's this version?
    29z2c84.jpg