Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to get going with a done concept art?

Anchang-Style
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
Hey people iam having a bit of a problem. I wanted to try myself on a concept art i just don't know how to get started. I know step 1 should be blocking out. but the concept art i thought is cool, is so hard because there shapes are close to invisible to see.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/327/2/e/mbt_firewalker_by_karanak-d33fhzb.jpg
This is the one, that cought my eye, but i can hardly see the shapes of the lower element or the upper element. What does it look like on the back? All this stuff...how do you approach this kind of things?

Replies

• Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well since it's a sci-fi futuristic concept, IMO, a lot of it is up to interpretation. Staying within realistic goals. I have no doubt that you can find comparable examples in todays gadgets and heavy equipement. The idea is you interpret how the machine would work and find a comparable solution. Whether the concept artist had a different idea in mind or not, since this is your creation it's up to you to decide. Don't get bogged down on details either. Try many variation before settling on one, go wacky or stay reasonable is up to you. No matter what you interprate the different parts of the machine to work, there's a comparable mechanism or concept of what you're trying to accomplish.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You've got breakdowns of most of the important parts. Only really the underside of the chassis is left truly unclear. Start by nailing down a leg (the back right leg and the breakdown side view should be plenty of ref), then work from there.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    Nice choice on concept, Karanak is a pretty awesome guy.

Blocking out is certainly the first step as it doesn't require you to completely understand the concept in all of it's angles.

The first thing that you need to realize is that every decision you make in art is wrong. Perfection is unattainable, and the "finish" we ascribe to the paintings, sculptures, and models in our portfolios is really a form of abandonment. At some point you say, "ah, this is the end for this piece. Time to do something else"

So with that in mind do not stress out over the accuracy of your modeling at first. Often times the process of creating art is an iterative string of mistakes and corrections. Error is the currency of a realized product.

Start with considering the broad form of the concept. The sillouette. Work on your blockout until it resembles the outlining shape of the entire form of the concept. No details.

Once you have that, it will be come clearer as to where your next moves should be. Don't give up! It takes time to build skill in reading the form of an object.

Since the back or bottom of the object is occluded, there is nothing you can do except to extrapolate on the shape language that the image conveys. This takes some creativity, and 3D game artists these days should have the design sense to fill in the gaps. No project in the world is going to be as simple as following tutorial steps.

Good luck!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    First off, block it out, clearly everything is mirrored from the break downs on the sides of the concept.
    The only things missing is the back and the bottom, so you are going to have to make that up, just look at what shapes are repeated and figure out whats going to look best.
    That side profile picture in the top right is going to be really helpful for getting the shapes right. You really could just mirror the front and the back of the legs base, and change it later if it doesn't look great.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your answers so far.
    @Neolight: yeah i found a thread of Karanak where he posted his work and man this guy got an eye for it, amazing stuff in the veine of Star Wars and Ghost in the Shell.

I guess my Block out was just too detailed again. Thanks a lot i thought i was just rubbish for not knowing how to approach it.

I really appreciate your input :)