Home Technical Talk

Maya scene fatal error when opened.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Right, so i was working on a character, tried to combine two meshes, and i got myself a fatal error. Didn't think much of it, as id recently saved. However, whenever i try to open the old save file or the backup save made by maya when it crashed, i get another fatal error as soon as the scene opens. So basically, i don't have access to my scene, because every time i go to open, it just crashes.

If anybody has had similar experiences or knows how i could fix it, that would be great, and save me about a weeks worth of work (yes, my last incremental save was a week ago.. :( )

If it helps, here is the crash log from maya.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14324914/New%20folder/MayaCrashLog120215.1517.log

Thanks.

Replies

• o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if it will help in this case but I've managed to open problematic files by unchecking the "Execute script nodes" checkbox found under General Options in the "Open" window. Hopefully that could work for you.

And to state the obvious: save as more often!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gave turning off the scripts nodes a try, sadly it didn't work :( Any other ideas?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, it just happened again.... only lost about 2 hours of work this time, but its very frustrating.. the file opens up, i can see the model, and then it just crashes. I've opened it with executionable op's off, but this does not help. Anybody got other ideas? i wonder if its my maya installation?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Are you saving your files with viewport 2.0 on? Happened to me days ago.
    Try saving your files without textures on and viewport 2.0 on.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im saving with low quality view and wireframe view on :/
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    oh man, sry to hear that, is it the same scene always? Or all scenes are starting to happen?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Have you tried importing the file into a new scene rather than opening it? That's worked (occasionally) for me in the past.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its only happening to this scene, but has happened to 3 different saves of it now, sometimes a save works fine, other saves get this issue. i tried importing the scene instead of opening but no luck there either :/
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Are you using maya ascii? You should since sometimes things like this can be saved. If you are, load in up in a text editor and do a search for "-1.#QNAN" or "-1.#IND" and if you find and replace the each with "0.0". That's not always the problem but it's pretty common in scenes that crash on loading.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using maya binary unfortunately. This is really iritating, i can see the objects in the scene on screen, but it just crashes straight away, teasing me!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opened up my file again, and clicked "yes" on recovery save, it's saved a recovery version in ascii format, so i'll try edit it in the text editor like you suggested.

EDIT:

The ascii file didn't contain either of those lines, so i guess that doesnt work either in my case :/
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    but you got an acii file now yes ? and its not empty ? make a copy and try deleting the bottom half of it see if it starts up if it doesnt delete the top half ... take good look at the formating try not to mess it up (i have never done this with a maya ascii file but with other kind of files)

if this works narrow it further down by deleting only the top half of the half that has the issue in it and so on

what exactly is in that scene btw a complicated setup with lots of transforms or a really high poly mesh ?
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    you can also open up the script editor before you load the ascii scene and see if it gives you a line # with an error before it crashes. Then yo ucan see if anything fishy shows up on that line.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene just contains a lowpoly mesh, nothing complicated at all :/

I had a look at the script editor and it said " cannot perform polymerge on selection" about 5 times before it crashed, which is wierd... Will post some pics up of various things later.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    May not do anything, but you can try opening the scene and pressing escape (esc) repeatedly. Esc should cancel any script Maya is running. For instance, if you accidentally hit "Mesh > Smooth" on that 15 million polygon sculpt, you can hit Esc and Maya will stop trying to smooth it. Rendering? It will stop rendering. So long as you get it in before Maya completely freezes up or crashes, and Esc can stop it, it will usually stop it*. What I'm hoping this will do is stop all the attempts to polymerge if that is what is causing the crash.

* Maya being Maya sometimes it doesn't.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Have you tried to import the scene into Zbrush to see if it works?
  • vril1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vril1 polycounter lvl 4
    Now i download 2013 version, the same problem still continues  :(