Home Technical Talk

game controller keypad thingies

poopipe
grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
poopipe grand marshal polycounter
anyboy use a thing like this for actual working? ...

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-RZ01-00490100-R3M1-Nostromo-Expert-Keypad/dp/B004G8QHFO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1328958760&sr=8-10"]Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

I'm starting to suffer from RSI in my keyboard arm (again) from my 12 hour a day max habit and can see one of these allowing me to put my hand in a more comfortable position - it'd also be handy to place next to the wacom when painting and so on.

my main concern is whether I can program these things to take any combination of keypresses or mouse input or whether they're limited in any way. it'd be double awesome if the wiggly stick thing could could behave like a trackball but not a deal breaker if it couldn't.

anybody?

ta :)

Replies

• MadnessImport
    A friend of mine let me use his for a few minutes its awesome, but it just feels like it'll become a burden later on though but it is kinda comfortable.

As for programing it, It can be done!
    Just a few minutes ago i set up my ps3 controller with a Program called Xpadder, mapped the main keyboard keys to the left side of the stick and its somewhat better than using the keyboard since theres little to no looking for buttons or cramping fingers with hotkeys
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    ta for the Xpadder link - i'm now wondering whether I can find a use for a steering wheel in max....

if they're deinitely usable I'll probably take a punt - worst case I'll still be able to use it for games and i can always make the money back flogging my space navigator paperweight
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I have used one of these for a couple years and love it. You can program it to whatever keys you want and key combos. The only problem I have found is that when you have to use another machine without it my work slows down until I am used to the keyboard again.