Home General Discussion

I want to throw my desk out the window

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
This probably falls under the category of stupid threads I can't believe I'm writing, but I'm tired of fighting my workspace at home. It's cramped, messy, and uncomfortable, especially because I'm running dual 23" monitors. I'd like to have room for reference books, a tablet, an of course my mouse and keyboard. I feel like I'm fighting against nature or something just trying to get organized and comfortable. It's seriously cramping my style and I can't take it anymore.

I know something like this isn't something typically on an an artists mind while we work, but all those fancy computer builds or tablet recommendations found on Polycount mean nothing if you can't work comfortably or concentrate.

I have a decent chair, but right now I feel like I'm haunched over half the time to see my monitors. I think half the problem with this is that my chair can't fit under my desk (it's kind of low and the legs are close together) and I can't scoot under it.

So have you guys had success with a certain desk? Any good stores or websites? I think I'm looking for something more metal and modern. I want to avoid wood.

It's such a neglected aspect of our work, so I imagine more than half of us are using something small or improvised. I think at one point in college, I was using two folding dinner tray's as desk extensions. Lol.

EDIT: This isn't half bad actually. +1 for the little animation too. Fun. http://www.versatables.com/pages/products/office/vc4824.php

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    keep it simple.
    i've got dual 23's with an av tuner on the side and plenty of room for work.
    keep your desk clean, any unnecessary or rarely used tools off to the side.
    i dont use my tablet much so i keep that sitting on my tower and a scanner that i maybe use twice a year now packed up in its box that i bring out when needed.

this is what i use
    http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/sectional-home-office-desk-beautiful-glass-surface_5356914.jpg

(only the unit on the left, not the entire L shape)
  • Ben Apuna
    Maybe some sort of Ergotron arm could help you put the monitors where you want them.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    When I was at uni, I bought a flat door, screwed a bracket to the wall, and rested the other end on a set of drawers. Worked like a charm, and was very cheap.

Now, I've got two of these (wider versions) next to each other:

1007B.jpg

They easily hold my two 24 inch screens, A4 Wacom, keyboard, lamps, speakers, two laptops, printer, sketchpad, NAS drive, and my 49 key midi keyboard, and still give me plenty of space for books and other stuff like that.

My next purchase will be some kind of arm/frame to hold my screens off've my desk. Not really to give me more room, but so I can have more stuff where I'm sitting, to keep it a bit more centralised.
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I bought some cheap wire shelving at a storage type store and put my monitors on top of those along with anything else that can go on them and there is plenty of room for my keyboard, mouse and tablet underneath. This also raises them to a good eye level.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I also have duel 23's and quite a large beast of a tower. I've always used L-Corner desks in my past and always will. It's very nice having that extra space to your right or left; the desk I have right now I got from staples maybe 3 years ago. Paid $79 for it and It's absolutely great, I did try to find a link or a picture of it for you but I'm not having any luck with that, so I took a pic! (Cell phone quality)

wImXG.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I've got a cheap $100-$150 desk from Office Depot with some cheap shelves from Bed Bath And Beyond and I'm pretty happy. I keep my tablet on the shelf to the right with some art books when I'm not using it and it pull it out whenever I need it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3360480/Miscellaneous/IMG_0194.JPG
  • MadnessImport
    I can relate to the suffering

About last summer i was using a kitchen table as a Desk it was cold and missing a leg, collected a lot of dust and i had to use a lawn chair because i didn't have a spinny one

2 years I suffered with that crap, until one faithful day Im taking a stroll to a friends house and i see my neighbors Sitting there desk and chair outside, It was about to rain and it was a perfectly new set!. long story short i stole it and eventually found an office chair a few weeks ago the office chair was to large for the desk to I Improvised
    2jchmc5.jpg

It may look unsafe but ....

Anyway my suggestion

http://salestores.com/innove03.html (Random site) My friend has this and its perfect except the glass Top
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I neglected the desk aspect for so long and my productivity at home took a nose dive. My room's really cramped as well, so I opted for a stacked workspace. Not dualscreen, just a single 23" but most of my work is painting anyway. I keep my iPod propped up under the monitor for reference.

$20 off of eBay, black steel frame with glass tops. :D

404843_10150695518734867_665839866_12182723_1345674041_n.jpg
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a cheap $100-$150 desk from Office Depot

I bought my current desk from them. This is it: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/758756/Realspace-Zillope-Computer-Desk-57-78/

It looks spacious, but I've had to make some mods to get my monitors on there. Plus, like I said, my chair doesn't fit underneath the keyboard tray, and that's even with tearing the drawer out too.
    When I was at uni, I bought a flat door, screwed a bracket to the wall, and rested the other end on a set of drawers. Worked like a charm, and was very cheap.

Lol, that's about as low budget as it get's, right above just working on the floor :D Uni is tough financially tough, so I get it. Necessity is the mother of invention!

I like that desk, it's pretty simple. Too bad it's from the UK though. I imagine I could find something similar, but I can't seem to keep my eyes off that one I put in my original post... it's a beaut.

@MadnessImport: See, I would feel cramped and unproductive in a space like that. Good steal though. Can't complain if you got it for free, right? I would probably be leaning forward a lot too with something like your setup. It doesn't look like you can get your chair in. Same with me.

@Snowfly: Wow, nice! $20 is a steal for something like that! Looks like some good leg room and the monitors are level to the head while sitting proper. It's like, I'm either leaned way forward, or way back. My middle/upper back just can't seem to catch a break.

Anyone use any ergonomic/funky chairs? One of the VP's at my office has this chair that looks like he's straddling a horse, but he swears it's the most comfortable thing he sits in.
  • Shen.
    you should go to ikea
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually live about 15 minutes away from one. I've been there and bought stuff from them. To be honest, I actually haven't been all that impressed with the quality. Some products are a great price, and others are really marked up. A lot of my friends have furniture from them, and it just doesn't seem to hold up long. My futon is unusable after only two years of light use.

I think I'm going to jump on that Versa Center one! So exited to actually start working in comfort again!
  • Noodle!
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79836969/

I've been using this desk for going on 7 years now and it's no worse for wear. I love the space it provides.
    The downside might be that it's not extremely great looking, but you've got tons of nice space.
  • Lamont
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I had one of these since 2002. ::LINK:: now my mom has it. The desk I have now is actually a shelf in a closet... horrible.

::EDIT:: My "desk". Will be getting a real one with a chair soon.

mydesk.jpg
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    Those two aren't bad... it would definitely be cheaper than dropping ~$500 on a desk. I don't know, with my tax returns coming in soon, it's something to think about. And yeah, that closet desk... not okay, lol. I would lose my mind! Nice improvisation though.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Lol, that's about as low budget as it get's, right above just working on the floor :D Uni is tough financially tough, so I get it. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Absolutely. But, honestly, it was a solid, spacious desk and the only difference between that and the desks I have now is I've got a metal frame holding it up, rather than a make-shift bit of McGuyvering.

I'd highly recommend buying a cheap, plain door for a desk surface, to anyone. Worked like gangbusters :)
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I actually have a standing desk, using a bureau of mine, the height of it is perfect and I use the top drawer (pulled out with a board on top) to put my keyboard and mouse on. I like it quite a bit, and everything is pretty comfortable as of now.

I enjoy working while standing, and if I don't feel like standing (although I'm used to it at this point) I have a stool that I can sit on. As for space to put things, it's a bureau so I can use the other drawers to put miscellaneous things for access right in front of me. I have the bureau pushed up against the wall and an L desk that starts on the right and then wraps around where I stand, giving me a pocket to work in and functioning as space if I need a place to put things or to do something desky (like writing or eating).
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    This desk costed me about 150. Does the job perfectly. (I think I got this from Staples a few years ago):
    229740_10150327621626354_664631353_9529415_6116373_n.jpg

It's a really simple design, yet effective.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    desk_1.jpg

Desk_2.jpg

I recently added the ability to pull the monitor group towards me.
  • samcole
    Nice Alec, that is inspiring, makes me want to build my own custom desk this summer. Probably wouldn't be too hard. just a bit of a expense for the wood.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Alec, did you take the cover off the back of your side monitors?
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I bought the two side monitors that way. They were being used in a grid for a wall display.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Alec. I want that setup. DAMN!!!
    I'll have it when I'm out of my tiny flat and in a house.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Stradigos wrote: »
    I want to throw my desk out the window

Post a vid if you do :)

There's a thread where people post pictures of their workspaces on CGTalk, have a look at that, maybe you'll get some ideas?
  • Zephiris
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Post a vid if you actually do this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Here's what I use and I'm quite happy with it
    chaosdesk.jpg
    Don't mind the chaos :p
    Dirt cheap, lots of space, adjustable height. Long live ikea!
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i love these house shoes <3

well, i wanted to make mine from scratch, too, but i found a really big table at ikea (i was able to choose between different parts and later could put them together as i wanted).

no pics though :(
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlecMoody: WOW, I love that desk! What a clean, wide workspace. I bet it's temping to just pile up shit there all the time.

@Gestalt: There's someone in my department that has a standing desk. I'm interesting in learning more about this... first question, so let me get this straight, you enjoy standing? Why? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I seriously want to know what's to enjoy about it. Does it keep you awake? Focused? I think for me I would be too conscience of my weight shifting around all the time that it would just get maddening.

I hear there's some great benefits to standing though. I've read some articles on the health impact of sitting all day. I can't seem to find the article I really liked, but I did find these two:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/sitting-too-long-death_n_884152.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39523298/ns/health-mens_health/t/why-your-desk-job-slowly-killing-you/#.TzgapLRnCfY
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah there are a few reasons, one is that sitting all the time isn't very good for you, keeps you sedentary, the angle that we normally sit in chairs isn't particularly good for your joints/posture, it never struck me as particularly natural to sit hunched over like we do all the time and I read through a few things that brought up the idea of using a standing desk.

Other than that I've always preferred to stand when doing art, it used to be because it let me regularly take a step back to see things together, but now I just seem to prefer it (it sort of helps me concentrate and engage I guess, and it's freeing). When I need to think over a problem I tend to pace, and since I'm standing it's a lot easier and more natural to do. Standing generally gives me more flexibility over positioning too, I take up much less space and have much more control and freedom over how close I am and what I'm centered on; I don't get that feeling of being 'stuck' or poorly placed and uncomfortable like I'd often get in a chair.

There are some obvious caveats, it takes a while to get used to standing so much, especially if you aren't normally too active (I was pretty active before I started but it was still a pretty big change and it took a solid two weeks before I adjusted). Even still I have a stool that I can sit on if I don't want to stand or if I'd like a break. I usually walk about every hour or two, I have a reminder that goes off every two hours, and I usually get a drink and sit down for a bit.

My legs were incredibly sore when I started, it really wasn't fun, and I lost the feeling in both of my large toes (apparently the layout of the nerves in some people's feet can lead to this). I only started about three month ago, so I can't comment on things in the long term, but generally I like it, and still if I ever feel like sitting I can always sit (I just don't default to sitting all the time).
  • WarrenM
    I use stand up desk as well. Like Gestalt, I have a high chair I can use if I get tired or just want to take a break.

It takes time to get used to, for sure, but I don't think my shoulder/back would have survived another year sitting in a chair. This has helped me out a lot with my RSI problems and I'm getting stronger as a bonus.

It does tend to help me stay focused. If I'm standing, I'm engaged, which means I'm far less likely to stare out a window and zone out like I would do when seated.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I've been doing it for a few months now and I'm liking it well enough. If I get used to it and it becomes as comfortable as a chair, I wonder if old habits will creep back in and I'll have to up the ante again to ... I dunno, a tread mill or something. :P

EDIT : OH! One thing that will really help if you try this is get a little foot stool that you can put one foot up on while standing. This takes a lot of pressure off of your back and makes standing a lot easier. This is why saloons in the old west always had that bar at the bottom of the, well, bar. Resting one foot up is way more comfortable.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Alec - I love the look of that thick, clean desk, but is the whole setup really confortable ? I mean, the keyboard tray seems to be right where your knees would be, and the sturdy stand for the monitors seems very likely to restrict the movements of your chair and legs ...

I guess it's just preference, but I personally cannot stand having anything "in the way", like cables where my feet are, some weird thing hitting my knees, and so on. I even had to have my desk modified at the office because the vertical pole holding it in the middle was preventing me to freely extend my legs :) I cannot even put a desk against a wall as seen on most of the pictures posted above because I always bump in it and it drives me crazy haha. To each his own!

Anyone has a good, cheap recommendation for a standing desk btw ? I've always been thinking of getting one, but the closest I've ever been is the ergotron arm with a keyboard stand. It's okay for browsing and typing, but it messes up muscles memory way too much when it comes to 3D or photoshop ...

Stradigos : the one advice I would give is to audit your chair too. Somehow we are all led to believe that a swivel chair with super confortable pads and crazy adjustments knobs is the way to go ... but I personally think it's BS. The body is made to be reactive and dynamic, not to be cushionned, compressed, and swiveled around :) I ditched my 100$ chair at home and work and switched to something much more simple, and my back and shoulders are thanking me for it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/64833108/

It's worth trying! Nothing to loose really :)

P
  • Tokusei
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    got this desk from some repossessed office equipment warehouse, it was £40 iirc, guess i lucked out ;x
    HhvVg.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    Alec - I love the look of that thick, clean desk, but is the whole setup really confortable ? I mean, the keyboard tray seems to be right where your knees would be, and the sturdy stand for the monitors seems very likely to restrict the movements of your chair and legs ...

I actually cut down down the floor supports so they don't come so close to the front of the desk. Also, now that the monitors can be moved several feet forward it isn't an issue. As far as the tray goes- that thing has made a bigger difference in my comfort than anything else. It's height and angle adjustable so I can get the work surface wherever I need it as I move/change posture during the day.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting! Sounds like you really customized perfectly to your needs :) It's nice to read everybody's suggestions here because most of the advice given by ergonomics experts generally only apply to typing/browsing and mousing but nothing is ever said about pen tablets, Cintiqs, or 3D navigation ...
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    in case anyone is curious, this is the extension function I added a few weeks ago:

retracted.jpg
    extended.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    0_o i want that!
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info, Gestalt. I think you’ve convinced me to try it out. That desk in my original post has the ability to be raised, so I think I’ll try it at home before I try it at work. I remember going back to work retail after one summer of doing other jobs, and wow my calves and ankles were sore after my shifts. I imagine something like this will happen again (as you said), which is why I’m not looking forward to it, but I’ll get used to it after I rebuild some muscle there.

@WarrenMarshell: That’s kind of where I feel I am. I’m only 22 and I already feel like my chair is giving me a slow death. I have my whole career ahead of me, and I’m no good to anyone if I cripple myself… by working at a desk, lol. Not sure if I could use a treadmill while working like this… I’m afraid if I get too deep in thought about something, I’ll forget to walk, especially during programming sessions. Thanks for the tip about the one leg thing. Wouldn’t that throw your hips out of rotation after a while or no?

@Pior: Oh I know, I can’t stand that either. My cube at work is like that… I kick my cube mates wall at least a few times a day. I end up sitting sideways just to kick my legs out. As far as the chair thing goes, I see your point. I think I’ll make that change once I get a bar stool for my soon-to-be standing desk at home. My chair at work is so comfy it slows my heart rate down so much that I nod off a little in the morning. Not okay.

@AlecMoody: Geesh. I feel like this is the next step for you:

matrix.jpg

Good thing those things aren't motorized. I would be afraid of monitors clapping me in the face when I don't work hard enough. That's pretty damn cool though. Where did you get the parts?
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The aluminum is 8020 extrusion. They have a big catalog of parts and an ebay store where you can get it cheaper. Aside from that, it's just a bunch of brackets made on my drill press and a wall mount arm from monoprice.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Alec, I love how the content displayed on your screen totally matches the look of your desk workstation :D
  • Jeremy Wright
  • WarrenM
    One piece of advice I read is that if you want to try a standing desk, put your coffee table on top of your computer desk for awhile. That should raise it high enough for most people. If you hate it, you saved some money. :)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    One piece of advice I read is that if you want to try a standing desk, put your coffee table on top of your computer desk for awhile. That should raise it high enough for most people. If you hate it, you saved some money. :)

ha, nice one. I never thought of that. I have the perfect old little coffee table in my attic for this!

EDIT:
    kYJfkl.jpg

My shelves sticking out above my desk mean that I don't have room for my keyboard. Don't think I could use a standing desk regularly, although it was quite refreshing. Here's my even more ghetto attempt from last year, in student housing:

xViCAl.jpg