Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Captive - Lowpoly Bust

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Just finished up on this little personal project. He's 4.3k tri's and uses a 2048x2048 dif, spec, normal and gloss map. Little high specs, but i wanted to get the most from my bakes.
Modelling in maya 2012 and zbrush, textures in photoshop, rendered from marmoset toolbag.

Monster_turnaround.jpg

monster_closeup.jpg

Wires and maps

monster_wires.jpg

monster_maps.jpg

Highpoly headsculpt:

monsterhp.jpg

Cheers for looking!

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any crits would be great, to pass onto future projects.
  • Mister_Nice_Guy
    You map everything individually, while most of these objects are mirrored. Since both sides of his face are identical, you should split and mirror it. That way, you'll have more space to place the other pieces. The eyes, for example, need more space, because those are quite blurry and not detailed enough. Just the unwrap in general leaves quite a lot of whitespace. So split the head, stack identical pieces, size everything up and start puzzling.

For the teeth, I would make them more dangerous by popping them out with some extra geometry of their own.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits.

At first i planned on doing a ton of variation on the face to make it none symetrical, but it just never ended up going that way haha, so yea, theres alot of wasted space on that part. With the metal pieces, is it not worth them being individually unwrapped? i thought the scratches would be too obviously mirrored considering how close up everything is meant to be viewed on a bust. I do agree with the teeth though, when it spins around the silhouette is kinda crappy at the front, too flat and not enough variation. Main issue there was my sculpt (which started out as a doodle, so didnt have all the parts planned out) didn't have seperate teeth/teeth that stuck out, but it's definately something that i think would help.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks pretty cool. I think you would be better off texturing the teeth a different color. They're too red, and blend into the face too much. Try doing them white or something.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Nice work but you need to sit the eye balls and teeth into the head, build up the muscle.