Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique: Worth Dayley

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
Oy, friends!

So I'm cruisin' along and looking for full-time work, and I would like some honest, direct feedback on my portfolio and the work therein!

http://www.worthdayley.com

The main criticism that I know I'm going to get right off is to decide characters or environments, and I do have some projects in progress that will tip things more towards environments, but for now this is what I have.

Any advice will be considered and incredibly appreciated.

Keep on making awesome stuff and inspiring me! I DEMAND IT! :thumbup:

Replies

• spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Your stuff looks really good to me. Truth be told, I can't texture paint like that so I think you are very good. Like the portfolio page overall as well.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have some critiques for your website.

First off your banner, texture it! It is hard to read. Leave the wire frame on if you want to keep the feeling of it being a 3d model but at the moment it is very hard to read.

I personally would remove the google me and google nick (?) from the front of your site and the face book and linked in as well. I might just be anti facebook/social network thing, but honestly having buttons for google me is a bit much and you should reconsider them being there.

I would suggest changing the color of your text on the images for the dog cart, because I did not see your name/website address at first.

Also, for your mage smith character, I would ditch the first image of the up close of her face. Even though the texture was done well, how close the camera is to her does not make it look good at all, and only hurts the portfolio in the long run.

Lastly, and I say this to everyone, and to my self all the time. People do not remember you for your best piece of art, they remember you for your worst piece of art. If you know that one piece is weaker then others, take it out or replace it. A few solid pieces of work are better then good work padded with so so work.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Why would I want to google your name when I am already on your site? Everything else I'd want to find out about you is already linked directly on your site.

Get rid of the fluff and make your website about your art.

If you want to have navigation arrows on the side of the screen while browsing your art I'd recommend changing the up arrow icon to a home icon - from a web design standpoint that up arrow reads more as 'take me to the top of the page' as opposed to 'take me to the main home page'
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id say keep the linkedin
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    haha i like the 3rd person bio. cracked me up.

EDIT:
    yeah take out that facebook and twitter stuff, you're just inviting random people into your personal life.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    Work looks great, love the wildstar like scene, agree what others said about the front page banner and the google me stuff.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I agree I would take the google and facebook links out but keep the Linkedin one because even though it is social networking it seems more professional and Facebook or even Twitter. I also do not like the up arrow being the home button make it a picture of a home or something.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad I posted. You guys are great. Those links I put in forever ago on old portfolio sites, and I guess they were more statements than they were meant to be actual useful links. Leftovers from my late teenage years, I guess. They seem silly now that I actually think about them.

Good advice all around, I'll be making these changes tonight. I would love anymore criticism from anyone about any of it all!

Next portfolio thread I promise to follow the portfolio thread guidelines, heh.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I really like your style.

Some of the textures may be too simple. More for increasing marketability through refinement. For example http://pyroxene.deviantart.com/gallery/

Under the direction of a project that allows you to produce a lot of what you do, you'll end up with an amazing body of work. can't wait to see how you develop.

That Dogcart gets me every time.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden: Thanks! That's really good to hear.

Question, on the "front page", there's a right arrow that scrolls to the next page of work, did everyone see this and get what it does?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    yikes! the first charachter made me cringe. For example you have random tone variations on the shirt where they logicly shouldent be and work on painting gradients sharp shadows and soft shadows both have there places. Also, the green eye seems warped compared to the normal eye, I think theres a symetry problem on the face. To better spot this just flip your picture horizontaly.

However I love everything else, especialy the dog.
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden: Thanks! That's really good to hear.

Question, on the "front page", there's a right arrow that scrolls to the next page of work, did everyone see this and get what it does?

Ya I really don't like having to click that arrow to see your other work. I would recommend putting them all on the front page, and putting your info on a separate page. I did not see the arrow till a the millisecond before I closed the site. It caught my eye right before but it was too late, the site was closed already.
    The navigation buttons while looks at your work is a bit confusing too. I would say have the right arrow on the right of your work, the left on the left side and just have the home button say HOME. Little bit confusing as the up arrow also looks like it might lead me back to the last work I just saw. Just keep it more common so whoever is looking at your site can do it easily.
    I really like your dog, so cute, lol.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, made a bunch of those changes you guys suggested and took my nameplate thing and did a painting of it over the weekend.

http://www.worthdayley.com

name-lowres-06.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really nice! The only crit I have really is the wall of text at the bottom. Maybe try and cut down a few words on those paragraphs there so you get some actual space between them. :) Other than that, it looks kick-ass.