Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Head

Hi all i have made my first head ever and i am just looking for crits and some pointers

so hit it

headfirst.jpg

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    35mrwl.jpg

Show it from different angle. Show the silhouette. Why the texture looks like low res mud ? Proportions are off. Start from scratch using referance and do it with a purpose to learn. Don't rush the process.
  • Torch
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Not bad for a first head - don't worry about texturing right now, just concentrate on getting your facial anatomy looking correct first. Study loads of reference and then study some more, faces are one of the hardest things to model so they require a lot of practice. Good luck :)
  • mackan4766
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not terrible. My first heads were alot worse! That first image tho... cracks me up. Its just super zoomed in and surprising when you scroll down.

I agree with Torch that you maybe want to work on modeling a little bit more before tackling all the challenges texturing involves. The textures have lots of compression artifacts and looks low res. The unwrap isn't optimal either.

Maybe post your wires so we can see how the head is built.
  • mackan4766
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments

here is the wire
    headwire.jpg
  • Mrandk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is really hard to tell what is going on with all that triangulation. Do you have a version that is still quads?
    Either way, check out this thread in the Polycount Wiki on face and head topology.

http://wiki.polycount.com/FaceTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, man. For a first head it looks good! But some major improvements need to be made. I suggest that you start from scratch on another one. As of now, you've completely ignored topology. Make sure to look up a ton of refs, they're not hard to find. Here are some examples:
    EdgeLoop3.jpg
    FaceTopology?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ex_head_wireframe.gif
    blog_facial_tests.png

Remember, form plays a HUGE role in function. Just look at facial anatomy and notice the similarities between the muscle shapes and edge flow.
  • mackan4766
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shows the body that the head will used to but of course i can use diffrent heads too :)

Diffuse.jpg

Wireframe.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Post a screenshot from Maya/Max cuz its really hard to read the topology when its triangulated. But from what I can make out on the head is that the topology could use a lot of loving, SuPa posted some awesome reference. And his knees could use some work too, having all those loops terminate in an 8-pole can't be good for deformation
  • mackan4766
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    As far as beginners go, the shape you have isn't bad but it could definitely use improvement. Google anatomy reference and techniques for drawing / sculpting anatomy. These will teach you a lot about how the body is shaped, and how you can approach recreating it.

Visit the polycount wiki and start browsing through the topology sections. SuPa also posted some really good reference. Study these references and try to copy their topology. Because right now your head topology is straight up ass-nasty. It actually looks like you used Decimation Master on a zbrush sculpt.

For learning topology, I highly recommend you get a retopology program and just practice on a professionally done head mesh. That way you can learn topology without being distracted by a head you made yourself (which will probably be flawed).

Likewise, I recommend you learn anatomy in a sculpting program so that you can focus on anatomy without having to worry about topology.

Once you've learned each of those separately it will be much easier to make something from scratch yourself, combining both sets of knowledge.

Don't get discouraged - there's no shame in being a beginner. As long as you can LEARN and IMPROVE you'll do fine.
  • mackan4766
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the crits i will go back a few steps later on and make the highpoly scult much better

Btw texture wise on the body did i succeded any good there as this is my first time ever to uvw a body and a head
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Ahh I remember my first head. Been addicted ever since.

Plenty of good tips here mackan4766! GL and keep going!
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    35mrwl.jpg

exactly my reaction. O_O

Can't say much more than guys did... You should really concentrate on fixing topology.

As for uving... judging the head sheet you could optimise the hell of it. Look at the blank space you could use. Also I's reccomend to avoid placing it at 45' angle - you are loosing pixel detail this way. Lastly - try to keep pixel density at the same level. The neck seems to take far too much space comparing to the rest of the head.

Congratulations on your first head and good luck!