Home General Discussion

New to Polycount

Hey guys, not sure if there is a newcomers section, i couldn't see any, so i decided to post here. Hope that's ok.

I really want to get into the community here, it seems like a great environment to learn and Ive had some great recommendations from others.

A little about me. Im 21, currently studying my 2nd year of game art in Australia. Ive always had a love for fantasy drawing (especially dragons) and doodled pictures here and there through high school. I taught myself (poorly) and ive never had any kind of proper 2d learning environment but i have bought a lot of books and am teaching myself as well as learning from my teachers at school now.

I am finally starting to make noticeable progress and i want to soak in as much information as possible asap to improve my 2d skills so that i can improve on 3d. I have to say, after looking at some sketchbooks on here i am a little embarrassed to post any of my own work.

I was wondering if anyone else taught themselves to draw and how they did it. What gives you inspiration?

Hope to make some friends and learn a bunch! Thanks guys

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Hi and welcome to Polycount,

For traditional learning go for;

Books~
    Bridgeman's work and 'The skilful huntsman' Both on Amazon.

Daily practice exercises~

Thumbwar Its a how to guide to starting off concepts.
    Figure and gesture drawing Real life drawing exercises. Brill for shading forms and stuff

Posematics Similar to the one above but it uses 3D models so you can see the muscle structures and stuff. Again stupidly handy.

If anything else comes to mind ill throw it up but to be honest it'll come down to how much your willing to actually work for it. Good luck!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    welcome.
    I am finally starting to make noticeable progress and i want to soak in as much information as possible

that's the right attitude!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    didnt knew thumbwar - looks nice!
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    G'Day matey and welcome, I'm new here and very new to actually being employed in the industry, these guys are the best for advice and help, wish I had found this site years ago :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Darkleopard, welcome to PC! Having a love for drawing will get you far. If you are looking to push your drawing skills (and you feel reasonably confident with illustration) you could try doing some freelance work. This will help push you out of your comfort zone and learn new techniques and skills.

This might sound tricky to get into, but the amount of bands looking for cheap illustrators and graphic designers wanting to get some basic cover art and other band art is high. Just post on something like gumtree or put a note up in a music school.

You'll probably only make pennys out of it, but if your just looking to discipline your 2D this is a good way to go imo.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Just a warning. You`re going to get really harsh critiques here. People will rip apart your work that you spent so much time on. Do not take it personally. Open your mind and accept the constructive crits people are giving you. They arent doing it to be a dick. They are giving you advice to make you better. If you let your ego get in the way, and get defensive, you will get no help from anyone, and you`ll only hurt yourself. It can hurt at the start, but you just have to take a breath and realize it's for the best. Don't give up if someone rips it apart.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Mmm, new meat! :P

Welcome dude.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the reply's and advice! Really appreciate it. I'll take a look at all the links you guys suggested.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    welcome to the cool table :)
  • InnerSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for starting a Newb thread!

I, too, am new to Polycount. Love what I've seen so far (the low-poly Mass Effect models brought me here, linked from a friend).

I am a co-founder of a company called Tall Chair, Inc. - we began as a game company doing games for iPhone and iPad, but the company shifted direction towards making interactive books which is very cool, but I would rather make games. I have recently stepped down as Creative Director there and I'm spending a little time with my son and working on some personal projects while I seek out my next venture.

I look forward to posting some pics of my work here for some community feedback once I've got something to show. My first project is going to be an interactive story using 3D assets telling the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".

See y'all around!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Welcome to Polycount! :)
  • kemny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just joined as well! Gearing up to graduate in the spring and I find this community very inspiring/motivating :) Hope to be able to improve my work and make myself marketable.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Welcome to all the newbies! :)
    Enjoy your stay, and let's see some art!!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Welcom, im newish as well. With dedication patience and a thick skin this site may become your greatest learning tool. Just remember to google first.
  • OzGirl1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure that I'm qualified to welcome you since I'm also new but I will anyway... ;-) Welcome!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
  • Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im pretty New here to. posted some work up and had invaluable feedback from the community.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome fellow newbies! Glad to see the community is growing.

Just getting into texturing in class now. Does anyone have some good tutorials/sites etc on texturing different kinds of material (wood metal etc). Im interested in diffuse, spec and normals to start off with
  • MiAlx
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    welcome!

regarding drawing: get yourself to some life drawing sessions and do all the old art school drills (negative space etc) and carry a sketchbook everywhere. scribble in all downtime. as for digital, start a sketchbook on a service like tumblr and post all your digital scribbles. instead of browsing [insert popular site here] between work, do a 10 minute scribble either digitally or in your notebook.

my desk at work shows my last 6 months of sketchbooks:
    books.jpg

On a related note, i just started a new digital sketchbook at:
    http://flailingchimp.tumblr.com
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to polycount!

In regards to improving my drawing skills, I did it mostly by drawing through observation repeatedly. I'm not a magnificent artist, but it has definitely helped me make significant progress by just drawing over and over again.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Also, please check out our general guidelines about the forums:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63361

Welcome to Polycount!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the texturing guides!
  • Vintidora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So hey, yeah.

I'm still in high school so I'm completely new at this, that is 3D art on a whole. I am a female, and I live in a country populated by people who only consider art a hobby.

I'm trying to improve in terms of traditional art, like maybe properly learning human anatomy, art classes are underfunded here so I'm on my own. 3D art is foreign territory for me, however I'm looking to correct that particular flaw.

So to wrap up, hi nice to meet you all, hope to get along well and all that. :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    *Pulls out banner* Welcome to polycount! Tons of great inspirational people here so take it from me learning from them will be a blast! Enjoy your stay and place take off your shoes at the door:)
  • Vintidora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! I'll take your word for it
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome to PC man! :D
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vintidora wrote: »
    So hey, yeah.

I'm still in high school so I'm completely new at this, that is 3D art on a whole. I am a female, and I live in a country populated by people who only consider art a hobby.

I'm trying to improve in terms of traditional art, like maybe properly learning human anatomy, art classes are underfunded here so I'm on my own. 3D art is foreign territory for me, however I'm looking to correct that particular flaw.

So to wrap up, hi nice to meet you all, hope to get along well and all that. :)

Welcome!
    Learning traditional art is very good choice (never quit practicing that!) and don't worry, although art classes would be nice, it's totally possible to learn all that by yourself from books/internet. So, what are you aiming at, character art, environment art or something else? What would be your dream job in the games industry?
  • Vintidora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, dream job would be a character artist, however being an environmental artist, modeler or a tech artist would be fantastic also.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    wow, so many new people :D

welcome y'all to polycount ^^ enjoy your stay muhahahaha [/evil_laughter]
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, not sure if there is a newcomers section, i couldn't see any, so i decided to post here. Hope that's ok.

I really want to get into the community here, it seems like a great environment to learn and Ive had some great recommendations from others.

A little about me. Im 21, currently studying my 2nd year of game art in Australia. Ive always had a love for fantasy drawing (especially dragons) and doodled pictures here and there through high school. I taught myself (poorly) and ive never had any kind of proper 2d learning environment but i have bought a lot of books and am teaching myself as well as learning from my teachers at school now.

I am finally starting to make noticeable progress and i want to soak in as much information as possible asap to improve my 2d skills so that i can improve on 3d. I have to say, after looking at some sketchbooks on here i am a little embarrassed to post any of my own work.

I was wondering if anyone else taught themselves to draw and how they did it. What gives you inspiration?

Hope to make some friends and learn a bunch! Thanks guys

First of all, welcome to the polycount. Here you will find Critiques, Comments, tips and tricks as per your art needs. I hope you enjoy your stay.

!! a traditional artist. Are you in to pencilling? Ahh I see. Might I ask what pencils do you use for your traditonal arts at the moment?

I am in the same boat as you are, but I am way far ahead of you. Right now I spend time making quick thumbnails, choosing one thumbnail to make the final concept sketch in detail, so I can get started in 3d. My inspiration is comic book arts. I watch artists' work like Adam Hughes, David Finch, Stephen Platt and random artists found on this website.

http://www.thecomicarchive.com/

I use various type of stuff. For pencilling and thumbnails I use 2H-4H for rough and refine line, fine tipped ball point pen approx .3 mm for thumbnails, many different types of erasers. I only use three main markers for shading the thumbnails 1.0, 3.0 and BR.

I do not ink the final concept sketch. I use 2H-4H (as stated before,) rough out the sketch according to the thumbnail've picked and then detail it. I am still trying to pick the art style that fits to my liking but so far I am getting good at it. The final sketch could take you from 2-6 hours based on the amount of detail you wish to put in it.

There are also sites like:

http://www.conceptart.org/

http://www.idrawgirls.com

You might want to look in to, and see if that helps.

Glad to see someone still have a taste for the traditional arts. PM me if you require any further help.

Welcome to the Polycount once again. :D

EDIT: One thing I might add is you need not be embarrassed to post your work. The core reason that this website exists is for us artists to get better by posting our work and getting critique and suggestions relative to our work so that we can fine tune our set of skills. So by all means, post your work to get a solid feedback.
  • MarcPierre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am Marc Pierre from Florida and I am also an professional employee in a company.