Home Technical Talk

Photoshop: Brushes with individual pressure curves?

dii
Does anyone know if it is possible to acheive this?

I have my tablet pressure curve set up to be a nice linear incline but I was thinking it might be interesting to have brush specific pressure curves in Photoshop

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh man, I wish ...

Unfortunately Photoshop is very "one to one" with the input provided by the Wacom drivers. And the drivers themselves are not very flexible when it comes to editing the curves (even with the custom curve editor tool)

I have been wanting the exact same thing for a while, it would make so much sense. Maybe Painter uses more complex mapping for its brushes than Photoshop ?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Wacom improved the curve settings with the latest driver. Now you can do what this video shows with the help of some freeware - AWESOME!

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2012/1/17/stylus-tip-feel.html
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah - but it is still limited to certain kinds of curves. Lately I wanted to have a brush that would be nice and soft at low pressure, but becoming fully opaque when reaching a certain pressure plateau... I don't think it is possible at all at the moment.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    @Simon yeah this is what I'm already using to level off the top 20% of my pressure curve. But unless you can hotkey presets or something and change them on the fly in photoshop this isn't really what I'm describing.

I want to be able to set up specific brushes in photoshop to have different pressure curve settings, so that I can have a brush that feels hard and one that feels soft and easily switch between the two.

@Pior: That's depressing :( Sai has pressure falloff settings in its brush engine too, seems like such an obvious feature I'm surprised PS never implemented it :\

Guess I'll just stick with how I've been painting.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah - but it is still limited to certain kinds of curves. Lately I wanted to have a brush that would be nice and soft at low pressure, but becoming fully opaque when reaching a certain pressure plateau... I don't think it is possible at all at the moment.
    If you untick "Limit Control Points" you can move the upper output threshold to be much lower down the pressure range.

Might get you some way close to what you're after?
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    The best would be custom pressure curves for each attribute. That way you could have a normal curve on opacity and a reversed one on size so you'd get a brush that is big and light when you press softly, and small and dark when you press down harder. I can also imagine all sorts of interesting effects by using bell curves and such.