Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portofolio] S_ource Enviorment artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
S_ource polycounter lvl 9
Hey all

This is my portofolio, and i really would apreciate to hear your thoughts about it and critic and tips.:)

http://www.source3d.webs.com/

Replies

• SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all feels a bit incomplete. On the one hand you have very nice looking zbrush models like the flag, but then your finished game models (like the oil tank) don't look like they have been baked from high poly.

I would concentrate on finishing a few high quality assets that are baked from high poly sources as a start, and then put a finished scene together in UDK or somesuch.

At the moment it looks like you've tried a bit of everything, but your high poly stuff shows good promise.
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with SamboMambo. Create some more assets and build a scene to show off how they look together.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    'Environment' is spelled wrong. And so is 'Portfolio'. And 'Triangles'.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, there's some spelling errors, and i would suggest making an environment or some sort of scene.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    I also would remove that brick wall. It looks to much like that tutorial from PHILIPK.NET but bad.
    Having tutorial stuff on your portfolio is a definitely a nono
    Just take one piece and make it perfect.

hope that helps
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you evryone for the feedback i have corrected the spelling and also removed the brickwall. Im also working on an smaller scene in udk. The plan is also to make the whole thing with hp for bake to lp for a car and a gun to have for Portfolio spelld right? ;P can aswell practise on this (environment) semaes to work now :). Thx again.
  • cyberflame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a few crits:
    • you have made a few props. but how would they look in a scene? can you show that you know how to layout a scene?
    • cut the textured walls, as bertmac said, they are obviously from a tutorial, it would make a a recruiter think how reliant are you on tutorials?
    • you say on your info page that you have done a half life 2 mod. i had a quick look and from the screens looks quite good. can we see some of what you did on that? and if its the stuff in your portfolio, label it as such.
    • you've watermarked one item on your portfolio. i'm not against having watermarks on things, but make it less intrusive. turn the opacity down more and make less of them. and if your going to watermark one thing. you may as well do the rest.
    • what are your assets rendered in? You say on your info page you know how to use hammer editor and are learning udk. are these rendered in either of those? let us know
    • spelling mistakes, as mentioned earlier
    • move the words portfolio and contact/info further apart, it looks like one word.
    • just personal preference but i dont really like the font, the words are too cramped together. and the smaller text on the info page is a pain to read.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyberflame wrote: »
    a few crits:
    • you have made a few props. but how would they look in a scene? can you show that you know how to layout a scene?
    • cut the textured walls, as bertmac said, they are obviously from a tutorial, it would make a a recruiter think how reliant are you on tutorials?
    • you say on your info page that you have done a half life 2 mod. i had a quick look and from the screens looks quite good. can we see some of what you did on that? and if its the stuff in your portfolio, label it as such.
    • you've watermarked one item on your portfolio. i'm not against having watermarks on things, but make it less intrusive. turn the opacity down more and make less of them. and if your going to watermark one thing. you may as well do the rest.
    • what are your assets rendered in? You say on your info page you know how to use hammer editor and are learning udk. are these rendered in either of those? let us know
    • spelling mistakes, as mentioned earlier
    • move the words portfolio and contact/info further apart, it looks like one word.
    • just personal preference but i dont really like the font, the words are too cramped together. and the smaller text on the info page is a pain to read.
    Thanks for the feedback. I just want to say that the concrete material was not at all made from a tutorial i made it all on my own the brickwall, yes it was made after philipks tutorial. And also the reason that i dont use source engine for the portofolio is that the graphic isent top notch, And also for most of the stuff i used xoliul shader for 3dsmax.
  • cyberflame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fair enough, still tho use what you have learned from those tutorials and the props you already have and make a scene with them. it doesnt need to overly complex. with the stuff you have you could for example make a factory or something along those lines. having a complete scene in your portfolio will also show that you can layout a scene as well as show that you can light a scene.

also on your info page say what your role was on the mod you did