Home General Discussion

CGWorkshops Are They Worth it?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
Hello Polycount.

I am really interested in environment modeling and texturing. I have found an online mentored course from cgworkshops which is "3d environment design" from Paul McWilliams. Do you suggest it? I mean anyone here has experienced with cgworkshops online mentored coursers? Do people know of him and his work? Or have work with him?

Thank you.

Link to the workshop:
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=217

Link to My Portfolio:
http://zerostrike.deviantart.com/gallery/

Replies

• ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Also what would be your suggestions when taking these kinds of courses? To get the most out of class.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    I'd be interested to know if anyone is taking these courses. I've been googling the course and Paul McWilliams for days now, and all I can find is all the promotional posts for the course, and an IMDB profile. Did you end up taking the course Zero? I'm looking at the September workshop, but really need more information before I spend the money. No doubt I'll cave in and attend anyway >_< - It looks so interesting!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ive taken the zbrush one.
    No.
    Do not take these classes.
    Buy the 3dmotive dvd on modular environment design.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Chris! I really appreciate you sharing. I've gotten my hands on the 3D Motive Modular environment design DVD and it's fantastic. On that note - the environment stuff on your website = awesome ^_^
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently heard back from CGSociety, and it turns out the first round of student works is due over the next few days, so hopefully we'll see some results from the classes. I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out more ^_^
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i tend to stick away from tut's, since i usually feel disappointed but this one here changed they way i work and sculpt for hte good.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/975/
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I had a really good experience with CGWorkshops. I've you work hard, the tutor will recognize that and be more keen to help you out. I took a course with Steven Stahlberg and he was friendly and helpful, and even extended his course by a couple of weeks to help people finish their characters. I guess it depends who teaches you, but I found it incredibly helpful, and it really boosted my skills.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Over the last couple of years I did the Jonathan Rush and Katon Callaway classes, really awesome and definitely worth it IMO!

What I learned in those 2 courses is more then I learned in school, and really love the feedback you get from your teachers.

As a matter of fact, I'm currently enrolled in the Hard Surface Character Modelling course by Josh Herman so hope to learn alot in there aswell
  • paul_mcwill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I read this post stream just today and thought I'd respond.

The course is running again from September 17th 2012.

I've made a promo video which explains in detail what the course contains and also contains (at the end) some rendered images of the house which is the focus of the course. It will give you some idea as to the level of quality that you'll learn to produce should you wish to join the course.

The youtube is here

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JuLp0fc9fm0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and here:-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuLp0fc9fm0&quot;]3D Environment Design CGWorkshops - YouTube[/ame]

The link to the new course page which now contains a more detailed and updated explanation of the course and some student comments which have been very encouraging is here

and here:-

http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=295

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me directly though I will be out of contact for the next 3 weeks because I'm going on holiday! Please note I believe you can sign up to the course about a week after the course start.

As a last note I'd just like to say that I put my heart and sole into creating this course and have worked harder during its creation than on anything else I've ever done in my life! I've created approximately 24 hours worth of material for the whole course.

What is it you want to do having done the course by the way? This will dictate whether its worth doing.

I hope this helps,
    Paul
  • pronamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took the lookdev class and it was not worth it. It is around $600 for one class, which is absurd. You can get all basic info on these programs and practices for $45 at Digital Tutors or Gnomon DVD's. Anything technically advanced can be learned at FHPHD for 1/3 of the cost. You get THREE classes for $500 rather than just one for $600.

I'm not saying the info is bad. It's just beginner and way overpriced. If you are already a professional, you probably won't get too much out of these, and you can definitely find the info cheaper.

Also, there will be 50 students or so, and your forum questions will probably take 2 days to get answered.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Sorry about the uber necro post here, have considered taking Katon's class which should be upcoming fairly soon. Has anyone else had experience with it, what did you think? I'm really looking to learn more about texture workflow and improving material definition than anything else so any suggestions for other courses would be cool too.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Well, Torch, I don't have anything related to your course but I would just like to say (in response to the thread itself) I was pleased with my recent class and about to take another with Allan Mckay.. Anyways if you don't finish the course within the time they give to you the instructor will still give you critique and suggestions after the deadlines months after..

Also on the topic of money I find it's easily worth it.. I'd go into why but honestly the topic is rehashed so many times with so many variables that it's not worth the time. The only negative is that the course isn't as interactive as Gnomon but cheaper and the Gnomon style of teaching also has its cons by nature (like wasted time during critique sessions when your more advanced than classmates in a subject), while this style is more thorough of a tutorial with the ability to get a personal mentor at anytime in the week for a post on your work or question and most do webinars anyway.